They Live - NO 26 72.22%
Ninja 3: The Domination - YES 3 8.33%
Ninja 3: The Domination - NO 25 69.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
spawningblue
Deadite

Horror or Not? Part 3

In regards to the thread I started to determine "Horror Digital's Top 100 Horror Films of All Time!"

http://www.horrordigital.com/vb3foru...d=1#post737153

Do you consider these horror films or not? If the final tally is no, they will not be allowed on your lists for the Top 100. You have until Mon. June 10th to decide. If there are any other films that are debatable, let me know and I will create another poll.

Also, feel free to state your case why you chose what you did.

Thanks!

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
spawningblue
Deadite

The Fly (1958) - I haven't seen his, another classic film I have been meaning to watch.

The Fly (1986) - Although the science of it all plays a big part, I still feel this is definitely a horror film as the creature design and many scenes are very horrific.

The Bird With the Crystal Plumage - I feel like this and mot giallos are horror films. Although the mystery and police procedurial usually play a big part, most giallos still revolve around a killer murdering various people, in most cases in gruesome ways. I find murder mysteries usually revolve around one murder at the beginning that is trying to be solved. I guess others can argue that since most giallos don't show you who the killer is, the mystery is more important then the murders, but I stand by labelling this a horror film. I guess some giallos could be different though.

Opera - Horror, see above.

Dressed to Kill - Horror, see above.

Race with the Devil - Although at times this one feels like a car or action movie, the overall plot is horror to me.

Resident Evil - I guess this is horror, although compared to the games the horror is very lacking, instead replacing it with bad Matrix action scenes.

The Hitcher (1986) - Definitely horror for me as most cat and mouse movies are. Rutger definitely plays the villain like a slasher killer.

They Live - With Carpenter movies I always have to second guess myself, but no this movie isn't a horror film. It doesn't focus on deaths or scares, plus it has a 6 min. fight scene!

Ninja 3: The Domination - I haven't seen this one yet, although I will change that when my Scream Blu comes in next week!

My Movie Collection

Last edited by spawningblue; 06-07-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
spawningblue
Deadite

I am surprised that Crystal Plumage isn't a lot closer, since I have seen many on here argue that most giallos aren't horror films, and this one is one of the few Argento gillaos more about the mystery than the murders.

Because of Crystal , I am surprised to see Dressed to Kill so close, as I think it is more horror than Crystal, no?

I'm glad to see many agreeing that Race with the Devil is a horror film, I thought that one would have been a lot closer. Strange that Shout did't release this movie as part of their of their Scream line, yet released Ninja 3 and Dark Angel.

Most think Resident Evil is a horror film, I wonder how well its sequels would have fared?, as it seems each movie becomes more action oriented and further from the games.

I probably should have replaced this version of The Hitcher with the remake, as I think the results would have been more interesting since that one adds a lot more action to it.

My Movie Collection

Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Completely disagree that most giallos are horror films. It's the same mentality as "anything really horrible happening is the definition of horror." Style, tone, and theme are also really important influences in determining what's horror and what isn't. At least once the late 60's roll around.

That said, Argento and Bava took the giallo into horror. Especially Argento, but we have 2 Argento's here and I say the split between giallo and horror happened in '75 with Deep Red. Bird, Cat, and Flies are not horror films but Deep Red is. Most definitely. Just look at the differences between them. Everything in "the game" Argento stepped up with DR. There are thrilling sequences in Bird, Deep Red bypasses thrilling entirely in the first 5 minutes alone. The sense of dread racked up with just the Helga character's reading of the killer in the audience is pure creep-horror. I think the only thing previously that comes close to that feeling is the Milk scene in Cat. Okay- and the graveyard scene too. But, then the next few minutes just keep elevating the tension to immaculate heights. The scene of the killer behind the curtains watching Helga talking in the theater, the phone call, and the murder of course. Goblin's contributions here are another ideal example of what puts this way above and beyond standard giallo. This is Terror. Not just unease.

Hence why I voted Yes on Opera and No on Bird.

Dressed to Kill would be a very lousy horror film and I don't much care for it as-is. No, it's not horror.

The Fly ('86) is on a very solid non-horror line for awhile. But hell, wasn't Carrie as well? And for longer within the running time? The story's about the disintegration of Seth's ability to remain human and in control of his impulses. That's both what makes him scary and makes what he does to Stathis and that guy he armwrestles at the bar some of the most horrifying things seen on cinema for a decade in either direction.

They Live is one in a series of Carpenter films that everyone already knows really aren't horror films- Assault, Escape, Trouble.

Unfortunately, I've never seen The Hitcher.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote