Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > Asian Horror and Other Pleasures

Old 03-18-2004, 04:54 AM   #16
DeathDealer
I Inhale Horror

How do you pronounce the directors name. Kaneto Shindo.

My Dvd CollectioN

Top 6 Directors Of All Time (No Order) -

1. Quentin Tarantino (America) 2. Dario Argento (Italy) 3. Takashi Miike (Japan)
Ingmar Bergman (Sweden) 5. Akira Kurosawa (Japan) 6. Martin Scorsese (America)

Last edited by DeathDealer; 03-18-2004 at 04:59 AM.
DeathDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 04:59 AM   #17
DeathDealer
I Inhale Horror

What other kind of films are there like Onibaba.

I know : Onibaba, Kuroneko, and Jigoku.

But there must be more great films with the same kind of Genre.

My Dvd CollectioN

Top 6 Directors Of All Time (No Order) -

1. Quentin Tarantino (America) 2. Dario Argento (Italy) 3. Takashi Miike (Japan)
Ingmar Bergman (Sweden) 5. Akira Kurosawa (Japan) 6. Martin Scorsese (America)
DeathDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:25 PM   #18
marioscido
Stalker

I purchased the Criterion disc of this film and was completely floored by it. This film is a real find for me. I had never even heard of it. The film's very frank portrayal of basic human sexuality is years ahead of its time; its slow unfolding narrative and harrowing finale seeped under my skin and remained etched there for days. Miike's 'Audition' definitely continues a traditon set in motion by Shindo with this film. The 2.35:1 B&W cinematography is outstanding. The fucken' reeds... Beautiful! I had seen and really liked 'Naked Island' (1960), by Shindo. It's a silent narrative about the daily grind of rural poverty on a small island in Japan. It's quite brilliant in many ways. But 'Onibaba' is in another league altogether. Forget recent J-horror and see this remarkable film. I can't praise it enough... This is the horror buy of the year - at least so far. And the Criterion transfer of the visuals is worth every penny. Stunning!

Last edited by marioscido; 04-19-2004 at 06:27 PM.
marioscido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:30 PM   #19
MaxRenn
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioscido
I purchased the Criterion disc of this film and was completely floored by it. This film is a real find for me. I had never even heard of it. The film's very frank portrayal of basic human sexuality is years ahead of its time; its slow unfolding narrative and harrowing finale seeped under my skin and remained etched there for days. Miike's 'Audition' definitely continues a traditon set in motion by Shindo with this film. The 2.35:1 B&W cinematography is outstanding. The fucken' reeds... Beautiful! I had seen and really liked 'Naked Island' (1960), by Shindo. It's a silent narrative about the daily grind of rural poverty on a small island in Japan. It's quite brilliant in many ways. But 'Onibaba' is in another league altogether. Forget recent J-horror and see this remarkable film. I can't praise it enough... This is the horror buy of the year - at least so far. And the Criterion transfer of the visuals is worth every penny. Stunning!
I agree, Mario. This movie definitely stays with you. I saw it earlier in the year on IFC and think it's an atmospheric, downbeat masterpiece. The comparison with "Audition" is so apt in its exploration of the hidden horror of human behavior. What I really liked about "Onibaba" was the assured combination of human horror (the behavior of the old woman) and supernatural horror (the mask) and where one ends and the other begins.
MaxRenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 12:59 AM   #20
dwatts
HackMaster

I finally saw this one tonight. I first came across stills from it in the 70's, but had never gottena chance to see the entire film. I bought the DVD months ago, but had not gotten around to viewing it. Until now.

Very very good movie, it's rarely the case where the location makes such demands upon a film, but it's a character here. Filmed mostly in the open, it all feels strangely claustrophobic. Criterion, obviously, did a great job.

Recommended.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:10 AM   #21
SaviniFan
I Have A Fetish

I've had the Criterion DVD for quite some time now and I gotta agree. Very good film.

PS3 Gamer Tag: SaviniFan Steam Gamer Tag: ToastyBuffoon

My DVD Profiler
SaviniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:42 AM   #22
tobaccoman
White, Proud, and Stupid

Wow, I've always looked at the cover of the Criterion disc and thought it looked cool as hell. Pretty much every Criterion title is on my wishlist already with this one included, but after reading this thread (I never knew there was one on here), I'm moving it way up on my wishlist. Thanks for bringing it back up, I'd hate for this to go OOP before I have the chance to get it a' la Straw Dogs. Speaking of Straw Dogs though, my friend who has the Criterion release said he would sell it to me for $25 when I go back to Bismarck in September. I can't wait.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #23
thing
Maniac

The Eureka MoC blu ray is top notch, reviewed it on my channel.