Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Which is the better film?
Evil Dead(2013) 14 37.84%
Cabin in the Woods 23 62.16%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #31
Paff

Actually, my point about The Blair Witch Project is that it is a divisive film among horror fans. VERY divisive. Heck, we had a "worst horror ever" thread here in the last couple of weeks, and at least one person cited BWP, yet several others cited it in their "best of all time" lists. And what I was saying is that BWP definitely bucks many of the trends in horror (no pretty girl, no likeable characters, everyone dies, it doesn't follow the "blueprint" of so many horror films, etc) and a lot of horror fans despise it. They won't admit it, but I think a good chunk of BWP haters don't like it simply because they LIKE the established trends and rules of horror films and can't handle it when someone breaks those rules.

Now, about Paranormal Activity? I've mentioned this in other threads, but I truly don't think it was inspired by The Blair Witch Project. I think the "found footage" genre has more sprung up due to the heavy influx of "reality-based" entertainment we see nowadays. Why? Simple. Look at the time between BWP and all the found-footage films. It's a good 10 years. When filmmakers want to capitalize on a surprise hit (I.E., rip it off), they jump on it IMMEDIATELY. Literally, it would be the same if we never saw the slasher film craze of the 80s, and didn't see one until 1995 or so, and conclude, "oh, they're just capitalizing on the popularity of Halloween". Wouldn't make sense.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #32
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Blair Witch Project is a turd. No other way to say it. And there's a difference between unlikable characters (*cough*, American Psycho) and non-characters speaking non-dialogue while non-things don't happen in a non-film. Which is BWP in its best moment. At worst, it's an I.Q.-sucking cultural void with a hundred "fuck"s where its brain ought to be. Literally. Its only value is in the parodies it spawned.

I tend to despise stupid, pointless excuses for movies too.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:14 AM   #33
zombiehorror
Victim

If those are my options, then I'd have to pick Cabin In The Woods!

There have been a ton of found footage flicks between the time Blair Witch was released and Paranormal Activity came out!? And even a handful made before Blair Witch!

Last edited by zombiehorror; 07-03-2013 at 03:23 AM.
zombiehorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #34
Fistfuck
Helloooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Now, about Paranormal Activity? I've mentioned this in other threads, but I truly don't think it was inspired by The Blair Witch Project. I think the "found footage" genre has more sprung up due to the heavy influx of "reality-based" entertainment we see nowadays. Why? Simple. Look at the time between BWP and all the found-footage films. It's a good 10 years. When filmmakers want to capitalize on a surprise hit (I.E., rip it off), they jump on it IMMEDIATELY. Literally, it would be the same if we never saw the slasher film craze of the 80s, and didn't see one until 1995 or so, and conclude, "oh, they're just capitalizing on the popularity of Halloween". Wouldn't make sense.
Would you say BWP is the proto-found-footage film the same way Bay of Blood and Black Christmas are considered the proto-slashers?

-Paff
Fistfuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #35
thing
HackMaster

Cabin in the Woods - had a blast 8/10
Evil Dead (2013) - huge letdown 4.5-5/10
thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #36
X-human
I ate my keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
And what I was saying is that BWP definitely bucks many of the trends in horror (no pretty girl, no likeable characters, everyone dies, it doesn't follow the "blueprint" of so many horror films, etc) and a lot of horror fans despise it. They won't admit it, but I think a good chunk of BWP haters don't like it simply because they LIKE the established trends and rules of horror films and can't handle it when someone breaks those rules.
Well who actively enjoys watching any movie filled with characters not to like? That's going to turn off audiences no matter what the genre. I wouldn't blame people for overall not liking something that's actively trying not to be liked. "It's trying not to be liked; therefore like it" is not persuasive.

And it's not out of the norm to have horror movies without pretty girls, where everyone dies and it doesn't follow blueprints: NotLD, The Thing, Cannibal Holocaust, Evil Dead (original), Nosferatu '79, more I'm sure. That's not exactly "worst ever" list material. Horror is one of the few genre's where potentially anything goes. Plus Heather Donahue isn't all that homely, just wasn't a very flattering movie and didn't have a shower scene.

Which go back to the main problems of BWP: Dumb unlikable characters who acted irrationally. That was a major complaint in many reviews. What's not to admit?

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #37
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
And it's not out of the norm to have horror movies without pretty girls, where everyone dies and it doesn't follow blueprints: NotLD, The Thing, Cannibal Holocaust, Evil Dead (original), Nosferatu '79, more I'm sure. That's not exactly "worst ever" list material. Horror is one of the few genre's where potentially anything goes.
NOTLD - Barbara survives.
The Thing - Childs and MacReady are still alive at the end.
Evil Dead - Ash is still alive.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #38
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
I would assume he's referring to the original NOTLD. And while Childs, Macready, and Ash are all technically still alive the last time we see them, I think the implication is very clear that they're all about to die (regardless of what happens in Evil Dead II). And since this is all revolving around a discussion of BWP, Mike is technically still alive the last time we see him, too. But the implication is that he's going to die.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #39
Paff

Well, I kinda wanted to avoid another BWP discussion. Obviously, it is not the ONLY horror film that avoids the "template" suggested by Cabin in the Woods, but it's one of the more obvious examples. And yes, we horror fans can embrace films that buck the trends, but I do think there's a LOT of "cookie-cutter" horror films that are slapped together. And this has been true since the beginning of the genre, whether it's Universal monster movies, Godzilla movies, Hammer horror, slashers, et al. I'll even be the first to admit that many horror movies that I love are "cookie-cutters", and I'll bet a lot of you would too. That's why I find CITW to be a biting commentary on us as fans, and true in many ways.

DVDF9, you actually prove my point a little about BWP though, when you refer to "non-characters", "non-dialogue", and a "non-film". I agree with you on all three counts, and that's why I find it so damn disturbing. It's all a little too real for me sometimes, (well, at least it was the first couple of times I've seen it....it does lose a bit of it's impact on repeated viewings), and I feel sometimes I'm watching three annoying people get killed. It feels very different from a "film" as we've come to expect it.

I'll talk more about Scream and CITW a little later (I'm at work now) in regards to your other comments.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #40
deepred
Maniac

I really like BWP and think the hate probably derives most from all the hype it received. If it came and went with little fanfare, I doubt people would hate it so venomously. It reminds me of Picnic at Hanging Rock with the creepiness in it's enigmatic understatedness.

I also thought the way they made BWP was really creative, using the GPS and notes for the actors as well as providing them with less and less food as they continued to film and by not allowing them to shower or leave the woods during filming. I think that only heightened the feeling of "reality".

I definitely enjoyed Cabin more than Evil Dead as I found Evil Dead really unremarkable. I would have liked to seen Cabin become a little darker and the ending with Weaver left me kinda cold.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:37 AM   #41
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawningblue View Post
Uh... no.

Barbara died, Johnny pulled her out of the house and the zombies killed her.
There's no one there to rescue Childs and MacReady, so they died. Provided they were both human.
The force in the woods killed Ash.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #42
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Honestly they're both extremely entertaining.
Cabin in the Woods is like a game watching and guessing how it'll unfold while satirizing the concepts from other horror movies.
While Evil Dead 2013 has the intense gore & shock factor that throws back the original in the most perfect way...

This is so hard haha
I pick Cabin in the Woods. It's just so fun

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #43
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
Uh... no.

Barbara died, Johnny pulled her out of the house and the zombies killed her.
There's no one there to rescue Childs and MacReady, so they died. Provided they were both human.
The force in the woods killed Ash.
I need to revisit NOTLD, I must be thinking of the remake.

As for the last two, those are just assumptions. Yes MacReacy and Childs probably won't make it, but it's still just an assumption as they are still alive at the end. Maybe someone would happen to be out there and save them. I'm sure if the movie was succesful enough for a sequel they could come up with several ways for the characters to be saved.

Paff mentioned Blair Witch Project doesn't show the last character die at the end either but that film is supposed to be found footage from three missing people never to be seen again, so you know from the beginning they all are dead.

And as for Evil Dead, again it's just an assumption that the woods killed Ash. And if Evil Dead 2 is a sequel and not a remake, which most would agree it is, then he definitely didn't die at the end.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 AM   #44
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Jason died at the end of almost every Friday the 13th film. The next showed him alive. That doesn't change the end of the previous film. Same with Halloween 5. And 4, frankly. And H20. And Resurrection.

Ash died. Dead. Kaput. Gone. Iced. No assumption. I understand people like to have fun and change previous movies to enjoy the delusion of continuity within franchises but it's still a delusion. Ash died in The Evil Dead. Doesn't matter what happens in the sequel when you're watching or discussing the original.

MacReady and Childs were not rescued. Providing they were both human, they died. It's kinda the whole point. If one of them is a Thing (and if so, we know who it is finally), that "person" didn't die. But the other surely did.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #45
shithead
Death By Ejaculation

HATE Cabin In The Woods. I really don't get the love...

Evil Dead was decent, so that gets my vote.

My DVDs
shithead is offline   Reply With Quote