Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General > Reader Polls

View Poll Results: Rate/Comment on Opera (1987)
10 7 14.89%
9.5 1 2.13%
9 10 21.28%
8.5 3 6.38%
8 7 14.89%
7.5 4 8.51%
7 3 6.38%
6.5 3 6.38%
6 3 6.38%
5.5 1 2.13%
5 3 6.38%
4.5 0 0%
4 1 2.13%
3.5 0 0%
3 1 2.13%
2.5 0 0%
2 0 0%
1.5 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2004, 02:04 AM   #16
Jason25

One of my favorite Argento films.

Direction is perfect, a very tense atmosphere, above average acting, and a wonderful score. A film that gets even better with multiple viewings.

Jason25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:27 AM   #17
lethalkrs

Gave it a 9. This is my favorite Argento movie.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:07 AM   #18
Morg

This is another Argento that gets better with repeat viewings, atleast for me. Saw it again about two weeks ago and have to say I enjoyed it more than past viewings. Tenebre is still my favorite, though. Gave it a 9.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:27 PM   #19
_pi_
Peace, bitch

I love this movie to death, but even I have to admit that the performances were subpar, the dubbing horrible, the heavy-metal music awful and everthing from the revelation of the killer to the end was lame. But I still give it a 9. The peep-hole scene is probably my favorite ever!

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
DVD-fanatic-9
What Did I Say?

After hearing Argento talk about the movie, I really understand all the things I didn't get before and the reason the movie is so dark and cold-hearted. I don't like Betty. But that's part of the reason the movie works so well. It's without question in my mind, Argento's 3rd greatest film. It's so completely accomplished with what he tried to do.

When I first saw it, I didn't care for it too much. But that was because I don't like opera and I didn't love the scenes at the opera house. But I've grown to like them better and then the movie gets further and further away, fewer scenes take place there, and the movie gets even better as it gets to the end.

I adore the ending. The famous "alps" ending that Daria Nicolodi doesn't even like. It's one of my favorite scenes in any of Argento's films.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #21
Vlachio

Easily a 10 and one of my favorite films from him!
Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #22
Paff

I "discovered" Argento in the mid-90s, still in the VHS days. Rented Suspiria and absolutely HATED it. I had a film guide I consulted for reviews, and they gave Trauma 5 stars (!), so I checked that one out too. Didn't much care for it. Decided to give him one more chance with the "Terror at the Opera" tape I saw on the shelf in the horror section.

Been a hardcore Argento-phile ever since. Opera, for some reason, opened my eyes (pun intended) to his work. Obviously, Suspiria is now one of my all-time favorite films. So Opera will always hold a place in my heart for showing me the light, so to speak.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #23
satans-sadists
Humanitarian

7/10 for me. Some flashes of brilliance despite a weak performance from the lead actress, poor pacing, and a ridiculous even by my standards finale. Argento is among my top three horror directors. That said, I watch Opera the least of all Argento films in my collection. I've watched Opera five times over the years (even in the truncated Terror at the Opera vhs version back in the day). I generally struggle to stay awake while watching Opera.
satans-sadists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #24
dave13
HackMaster

I've been gradually exposing my wife to giallos over the last month or so. she really likes whodunit murder mysteries, so its a surprisingly good fit, even though she typically wouldn't have the patience for any pre-80s films. I started by showing her some that I've already seen and thought she would like. Seven Blood-Stained Orchids, The Black Belly of the Tarantula, and Tenebrae. She enjoyed them all, especially Tenebrae. My next choice was Opera. She thought it was dumb. I'd seen it 3 or 4 times before, and based on my memory of it, I considered it one of my favorite Argento films. However, watching it today, I was really disappointed by it! There are a couple of great elements to it. The design of the Macbeth opera itself is wonderful. There are obviously a lot of autobiographical elements, especially in the director character ("I think it's unwise to use movies as a guide for reality, don't you inspector?"), and those are fun to look for. The 2 murders (I'd forgotten it was so few! There really should have been more) when Betty is tied up and forced to watch with the pins under her eyes. And of course the peephole gunshot. all of these are great. but on the whole, the movie is kind of boring. the lead character is completely uninteresting, and her behavior makes absolutely no sense. there's no real attempt to solve the mystery of why the murderer is killing. there's something about the costume, and then a charm bracelet, but none of that is ever mentioned again. when he's finally revealed, there's some explanation surrounding her mother, but its so brief and unspectacular, its a real let down. there are some great sweeping camera moves, but they don't impress nearly as much as the crane-over-the-house shot in Tenebrae. there doesn't feel like there's much drama or motivation to the camera movement. it feels arbitrary. and since i was watching this with my wife, hoping she would enjoy it, i was painfully aware of the fact that a full third of the movie is over before the killer even menaces the lead for the first time. considering this is a giallo, its really bizarre that there's almost no indication that anything is out of the ordinary for the first half hour of the film. its downright slow.

so yeah, really let down. my memory of this would have been an 8 or 8.5. Now I have to really think of reasons just to give it a 6. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more had I not just watched Tenebrae the other night. But, when compared to one of Argento's truly excellent films, this one just doesn't measure up. bummer.

Last edited by dave13; 05-18-2013 at 05:13 AM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #25
Dobby
HackMaster

Compared to the garbage we get today this goes from a 6.0 easily to a solid 10.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #26
dave13
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Compared to the garbage we get today this goes from a 6.0 easily to a solid 10.
but why would you compare anything to the garbage we get today? for the most part, anything made after 1995 just doesn't count (and that means i'm cutting the stuff from 89-94 some serious slack)
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote