Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

View Poll Results: What did you think of the Evil Dead remake?
Awesome - great movie 24 36.36%
Good, but not great 15 22.73%
Okay, nothing special 10 15.15%
Terrible, did not like it 12 18.18%
Have not seen it but want to 1 1.52%
Have not seen it and do not want to 4 6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 AM   #46
SEANVALEN
HackMaster

I enjoyed it. It did miss bruce's ash character to really bring it home, but maybe just maybe they could bring ash in with some crazy timeline wormhole reality thing in a sequel. Sequels needed to original army film and reboot, although I would love if they could connect them. The chainsaw came back, happy about that too.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #47
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEANVALEN View Post
I enjoyed it. It did miss bruce's ash character to really bring it home, but maybe just maybe they could bring ash in with some crazy timeline wormhole reality thing in a sequel. Sequels needed to original army film and reboot, although I would love if they could connect them. The chainsaw came back, happy about that too.
But bringing Campbell back would kind of insinuate that the reboot is a failure and can't really survive without him, wouldn't it? That's how I'd take it, anyways.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #48
thrashard76
Thrash or be Thrashed

Awesome
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #49
baggio
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I know what I like and what I don't. Why would I waste time watching something produced by the paranormal activity people, for instance? All of the movies by them that I've seen rate lower on my scale than The Evil Dead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybrick View Post
I have no desire to watch any of the Saw or Paranormal Activity films and those are widely popular, too.
Confused, did you see any Paranormal Activity films or not?

BTW I haven't seen any of the Paranormal Activity films myself. That type of movie just doesn't appeal to me. Have seen the Saw series though, & I like those. You should check them out. They are more than just about the violence imo, there's a great ongoing continuity of characters & plot throughout the series.

Last edited by baggio; 05-16-2013 at 04:31 PM.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #50
maybrick
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggio View Post
Confused, did you see any Paranormal Activity films or not?

BTW I haven't seen any of the Paranormal Activity films myself. That type of movie just doesn't appeal to me. Have seen the Saw series though, & I like those. You should check them out. They are more than just about the violence imo, there's a great ongoing continuity of characters & plot throughout the series.
I've seen the first Paranormal Activity and the first Saw. I hated both of them and that was enough, especially after getting halfway through Insidious. All of the others appear to be equal shit judging from the trailers and a good friend who's job it is to review movies every weekend.
maybrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #51
DVD-fanatic-9
Tough Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Dude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
I find it interesting that people on a horror film website would say they not only haven't seen the new Evil Dead film but do not want to see it. That's currently nearly 10% of the people that have taken the poll. I have to wonder why they are on this site to begin with and spending time taking a poll on a film they couldn't care less about.
It is odd. It makes me sad for the genre.
I've got something even sadder: the stuff that mostly passes for horror now in the first place. It's not as intense as people think it is. They just have the production designer make the setting look more severe (which is then deflated by fast-paced editing, shaky camerawork, and music that does not belong in a horror movie), dial up the gore (which feels like they're just dumping it out of a truck), and get the actors to act more frantic and have the guys scream as loud as the girls (which you see anyway in any garden variety hostage / terrorist flick).

Here's the joke about the new Evil Dead: it doesn't break away from these clichés, it embraces them. This is why good fans don't want remakes at all- they always turn out like this. This movie is not a surprise, it's an action flick for gore fans. Nothing more. Just look at the people who see it. "I enjoyed it." Um, did the movie actually do this thing you're saying "That's What Good Horror Does," which you're saying to someone complaining that the movie cheaped-out. They didn't say that it was too intense, they said the filmmakers made a poor decision and I for one have an even stronger opinion on it. But again not because it was effective. Or that it worked within the context of the shit movie. (I'm still struggling whether it deserves a 1 out of 10 or less than that. I mean, I've yet to see a full-on revolt against the original yet like the Platinum Dunes remakes seem to spark. If I ever come across Michael Bay in a dark alley, he is getting a lecture longer than Quentin Tarantino could give.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russweiss View Post
I still find it odd that someone spends time on a "horror film" site and then states they have to desire to watch a much anticipated film that a great deal of people have stated they really enjoyed.
Have you ever seen Saw? What does that have to do with the Evil Dead remake? Well, you're just telling us that The Majority is Right (and to trust them when it comes to what absolutely defines a horror film). Back in '04, The Majority told us all to see that film and to say the least, I believe majority opinion is a wee bit less kind to the film now. And there are people who won't even bother with the sequels. Tastes change? Yes, they do. And since you're happy to bring that up yourself, you don't wanna even speculate how that might change the given opinion on Evil Dead '13 at all? A "great deal of people" have also stated they really enjoyed that "Texas Chainsaw" Atrocity that came out earlier this year. So, shouldn't we find any way at all to differentiate between Maybrick's idea of bad that doesn't last and Zombie Dude's idea of bad which does?

A lot of shit is anticipated. It sounds like you're arguing "let's keep this kind of "horror" in theaters as long as we can because I enjoy it and we'll be able to look back on this as a unique time in history." I actually agree this is a unique time: it's the single least discerning, most superficial moment in horror history. But it needs to fucking die. Or filmmakers will never try to make something new and different, which horror cannot survive without.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 05-18-2013 at 04:48 PM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #52
Franco
Weekender

Disliked it. The essence is nowhere to be found.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #53
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD-fanatic-9 View Post
I've got something even sadder: the stuff that mostly passes for horror now in the first place. It's not as intense as people think it is. They just have the production designer make the setting look more severe (which is then deflated by fast-paced editing, shaky camerawork, and music that does not belong in a horror movie), dial up the gore (which feels like they're just dumping it out of a truck), and get the actors to act more frantic and have the guys scream as loud as the girls (which you see anyway in any garden variety hostage / terrorist flick).

Here's the joke about the new Evil Dead: it doesn't break away from these clichés, it embraces them. This is why good fans don't want remakes at all- they always turn out like this. This movie is not a surprise, it's an action flick for gore fans. Nothing more. Just look at the people who see it. "I enjoyed it." Um, did the movie actually do this thing you're saying "That's What Good Horror Does," which you're saying to someone complaining that the movie cheaped-out. They didn't say that it was too intense, they said the filmmakers made a poor decision and I for one have an even stronger opinion on it. But again not because it was effective. Or that it worked within the context of the shit movie. (I'm still struggling whether it deserves a 1 out of 10 or less than that. I mean, I've yet to see a full-on revolt against the original yet like the Platinum Dunes remakes seem to spark. If I ever come across Michael Bay in a dark alley, he is getting a lecture longer than Quentin Tarantino could give.)

Have you ever seen Saw? What does that have to do with the Evil Dead remake? Well, you're just telling us that The Majority is Right (and to trust them when it comes to what absolutely defines a horror film). Back in '04, The Majority told us all to see that film and to say the least, I believe majority opinion is a wee bit less kind to the film now. And there are people who won't even bother with the sequels. Tastes change? Yes, they do. And since you're happy to bring that up yourself, you don't wanna even speculate how that might change the given opinion on Evil Dead '13 at all? A "great deal of people" have also stated they really enjoyed that "Texas Chainsaw" Atrocity that came out earlier this year. So, shouldn't we find any way at all to differentiate between Maybrick's idea of bad that doesn't last and Zombie Dude's idea of bad which does?

A lot of shit is anticipated. It sounds like you're arguing "let's keep this kind of "horror" in theaters as long as we can because I enjoy it and we'll be able to look back on this as a unique time in history." I actually agree this is a unique time: it's the single least discerning, most superficial moment in horror history. But it needs to fucking die. Or filmmakers will never try to make something new and different, which horror cannot survive without.
Well I definitely don't share your dislike for this. It's not often I go to see a remake and come out thinking that it was a pleasurable experience that kept me entertained without insulting my love/respect for the original film. For me, this ones a keeper.