Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #121
JGrendel
HackMaster

Ghosts of Mars I think had a Carpenter feel to it.
JGrendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #122
Mutilated Prey
Soul Stealer

Wow, what a let down. Just checked this out and felt like I was watching...

Spoiler:
The Ring meets Identity.

Oh well.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #123
Mok
Family is Forever

I watched this last night and didn't think it was bad at all. Nothing ground breaking but nothing that deserves all the hate. It's on par with those Masters of Horror films. Did anyone else find a similarity between the theme at the beginning and "Hold on to Love" from Messiah of Evil?

Spoiler:
As much as I'm usually anti-twist ending, this one was pretty clever and well thought out. I didn't feel cheated
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #124
bigdaddyhorse
Detroit Hi-on

So while re-watching this a few weeks ago I noticed something, the hospital exterior is the same building as the asylum from In the Mouth of Madness.

My Fucking DVDS
bigdaddyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #125
Mok
Family is Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
So while re-watching this a few weeks ago I noticed something, the hospital exterior is the same building as the asylum from In the Mouth of Madness.
Hey cool! Good eye.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #126
dave13
HackMaster

Hey Rhett, after all the build up, i'm surprised to see you had nothing to say about the film.

I just watched this the other night, and I found it completely enjoyable. And well-directed. The story is fairly generic, but it's all competently done, and attractive to look at. I liked that it was set in the 60s, I liked the characters, and I liked the ending. I thought it made sense and was handled very well, despite not being at all original. The ghost was probably the weakest part of the film. When she shows up, she acts creepy and stalky one minute, and then like she's in a Freddy vs. Jason-style wrestling match the next, throwing people over tables and into shelving units and whatnot. Although, in the context of the ending, I felt a little bit more charitable towards that aspect of the film.

I think it's interesting that people are (or were) complaining so much about this. Do some of us actually expect directors like Carpenter, Romero, and Argento to not show their age when it comes to the movies they make? Carpenter is a very un-youthful 65 years old now (with some directors, like Friedkin or Ridley Scott, I'm shocked to realize that they're in their late 70s, but in JC's case, I'm actually surprised he's not older - he's looked like a senior citizen for 15 years) - of course he's not going to have the energy or passion that he did in the early 80s. I think people really need to temper their expectations with a bit of reality. Not to mention a bit of perspective - look at the stuff that Romero and Argento have been making lately. I'll take The Ward over Land of the Dead or Do You Like Hitchcock?, the best either of those have been able to do in the last 10 years. The Ward may not be a return to form for Carpenter, but it's competently made, and most importantly, if it were to be the last thing he does, it's nothing he should be embarrassed by.

Last edited by dave13; 09-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.
dave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #127
dmeister
Maniac

Some of the greatest horror and genre movies ever made were made by John Carpenter. So, he not only set the bar pretty high for himself, he set it pretty high for everybody.

While guys like Romero *are* old, and perhaps a little less capable now behind the camera, Carpenter's spiral into mediocrity happened within a decade of filming masterpieces like The Thing.

Personally, I suspect that the guy just picked up a lot of bad personal habits along the way, which have interferred either with either his creative process, his competent execution of that process, or his desire to engage in either.

Another issue with The Ward is the general subject matter of the film, which just doesn't seem very Carpenter-esque. Sure, he could've owned it, and made it work, but he didn't. I suspect that he needs to be more careful when choosing which scripts to get involved with.

On a related note, I honestly wonder to this day what it was about Ghosts of Mars that failed to deliver. It had all of the essential Carpenter elements in place and, on paper at least, should've been a bad ass film. But it just failed to reach the finish line in the Awesome Marathon.
dmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #128
Steel76
Maniac

Ghost of Mars is actually a movie that (for me) gets better for every viewing. Sure, its flawed, but nowhere near the disaster some make it out to be.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #129
dmeister
Maniac

I certainly wouldn't call Ghosts of Mars a "disaster." But it failed to inspire, for reasons that I still can't put my finger on. It should've been some awesome, Assault on Precinct 13 meets The Fog with maybe some The Thing and In the Mouth of Madness thrown in for color but, instead, it was almost too "Old School Carpenter." Like he made the movie back in 1980, while the rest of the world had moved on...
dmeister is offline   Reply With Quote