Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Katatonia
Master of Doom

President's Day (2010)

I couldn't locate any existing thread on this one...

President's Day was apparently filmed in 2010, but only just released on DVD in 2013.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It's a Horror/Comedy slasher that doesn't take itself too seriously. Abraham Lincoln as a killer during a High School class president election? Yup... it sounds dumber than dumb, but I found it surprisingly enjoyable.

Imdb lists that the film was made for only $5,000, which is apparently correct from this movie review:

Quote:
Shot in 21 days for a budget of $5,000 in the Baltimore area
It really doesn't look nearly that cheap to me. If true, I'm really surprised that it was made that cheaply.

The only actors I really recognized from previous works were George Stover (The Alien Factor and numerous B and Z-grade films) and Shawn C. Phillips (Girls Gone Dead, Chillerama, etc.)

The make-up effects were surprisingly well done for a modern B-movie, and the deaths were fun.

Has anyone else seen it yet?

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
fceurich39
HackMaster

nope but this thread makes me want to watch the tripper though! i might have to check this film out now.
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmmYWJ3lOK4

Old 04-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I got mine in the mail yesterday. I've been looking forward to it for a while now.

High school / suburban slashers are a rarity these days. Seems like all the modern indie-slashers are set in the woods now.

CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
fceurich39
HackMaster

my indie store has this for 10 bucks and with my card I will get it for 5 dollars going to go pick this up with django unchained today thanks for the heads up katatonia!
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #6
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I caught the premiere here in Baltimore and had a good time -- I've known director Chris LaMartina for over a decade now and it's been fun to watch him get better with each film.

I put up a thread for his newest flick WITCH'S BREW here:
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/s...witch%27s+brew

He's currently filming one titled CALL GIRL OF CTHULHU. Based on what I've been told, it should be his best yet!
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #7
Katatonia
Master of Doom

That's cool Bruce, thanks for the info. Is Witch's Brew as much fun as President's Day then? If so, I'll try to pick it up.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #8
flafilmmaker
Screamy Bopper

Hey guys!

This is Mike Hoffman - producer and director of "Girls Gone Dead". Thanks for checking out "President's Day". I'm actually helping to distribute this movie (authored the DVD etc.).

I'm sure Chris and Jimmy appreciate the kind words about their flick - which to me was incredible considering the budget (and just a lot of fun regardless of cost).

The reason the film took a while to come out is because we picked it up in 2011 - and had to polish up some of the death scenes and do a brand new sound mix. This took about 6 months. During that time - 2 other "Killer Lincoln" movies came out - and it was tough for this flick not to be buried. We submitted for a street date last September - and April of this year was the 1st available - which was GREAT as it's being released alongside Speilberg's "Lincoln". LOL.

I know the IMDB says completed in 2010 - but it was actually only screened then - and not formally completed until sometime later.

We're trying all we can to help spread the words - and it always is kick-ass to come across posts like this.

Best, everyone :-)
flafilmmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
The only actors I really recognized from previous works were George Stover (The Alien Factor and numerous B and Z-grade films) and Shawn C. Phillips (Girls Gone Dead, Chillerama, etc.)
I'm a fan of Shawn's Youtube videos, so I may have to check this one out. I knew he has been doing bit parts in a lot of indie horror films but haven't seen any of them yet.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
bruce h
Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
Is Witch's Brew as much fun as President's Day then?
WITCH'S BREW is even more accomplished, though not without its own (minor) faults. The tone's pretty similar though, so if you like one, I imagine you'd like the rest of Chris' output.
bruce h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #11
MisterTwister
HackMaster

I've grown tired of Shawn's youtube videos but I did really enjoy GIRLS GONE DEAD and this looks like fun.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

This was a fun little indie slasher. The kills are creative, and most of them are relevant to that specific character. I liked the whodunit element (although the reveal is a bit of a cheat). I would have liked some chase scenes though.

Still, it's quite well-done for the miniscule budget (in the extras, they said the actors worked for free). If you enjoyed indie-slashers like Spirit Camp or Girls Gone Dead, there's no reason you shouldn't like this one. President's Day looks much more low-budget though.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Witch's Brew was a fun indie flick. Getting President's Day in the mail soon!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #14
MisterTwister
HackMaster

President's Day was a lot of fun. Awesome killer and some really solid kills. It suffers from the typical problems that plague most indie flicks but it's worth watching if you're a huge slasher nerd.

Tags
abraham lincoln, president's day