Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 09-04-2008, 03:10 AM   #31
zompirejoe
Maniac

I've actually never been dissapointed with a Cohen film. Sure some are better than others but Return was actually pretty enjoyable. I always liked the Cohen / Moriarty combo.
zompirejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:05 AM   #32
Spit
HackMaster

I'm glad this thread popped up. I have this on VHS and have only watched it once and wasn't impressed. From reading this though, I think i'll plug it back in tomorrow night and take another look. Thanks guys,

When your a drug addict, its important to pace yourself -Bill
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #33
Yowie
Hologram

I saw it letterboxed on TV years ago now, can't think what's keeping Warner from releasing it. It's not a very good film but it's a lot of fun to watch, for all the wrong reasons, from direction to acting. One of my guilty pleasures for sure.
Yowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #34
rhett

Thought I'd revive this as it's the newest thread devoted entirely to Cohen's film. Saw this yesterday with Chunkblower after his strong recommendation -- was not disappointed. Pretty wild little movie. It's gets a little long in the tooth at the end (could have easily shaved 10 minutes off that 100 minute runtime) but for the most part it's got a really off-kilter morality to it that makes it compulsively entertaining. Like Michael Moriarty is probably the worst dad ever in a horror movie - certainly the worst that's supposed to be the hero, anyway. Multiple times he just ditches out on his kid, who he knows is in danger, to bone some dangerously-close-to-underage chick. Later he asks his kid if he got laid last night - the kid is like 12 tops, and the girl in question (And Introducing Tara Reid...) was 10 (TEN!) when the movie was filmed. Add in Moriarty's trademark I'd-rather-be-somewhere-else brand of indifferent acting and it really made the whole thing amazingly surreal. The kid was no Oscar-winner either...I was joking that during those car scenes ON THE WATERFRONT this movie ain't. Actually, speaking of the car scene...dad of the year: Moriarty lets his 12 year old drive while he lies down looking away out the window.

Was a great surprise to see Sam Fuller chomping that Stogie and literally chewing the scenery as the Nazi hunter - what a wild role in a wild movie! Fuller's one of my favorite directors and it's always great to see when the greats act for other directors (like Truffaut in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND). The rest of the performances were pretty accomplished, and you can see Tara Reid honing her flat, Razzie-worthy line delivery at a young age. What I also liked in the film was some of the perspective and insight Cohen brought to the Salem story and to the vampire sub-genre in general, like the whole bit about weening on cattle but really preferring human's blood, or how the vampires sought legitimacy by enlisting in an accomplished writer to profile them. Just plenty of insight about things you never really consider when approaching these age-old sub-genres.

All in all a real fun flick that exists well on its own apart from Hooper's mini-series. Far from Cohen's worst - it might even be in the upper echelon.

We watched the Xbox Movies download, which is widescreen and good quality and a good alternative to paying the hefty fee to bring those Warner Archive discs into Canada.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 AM   #35
Demoni
HackMaster

Just love this since my childhood days.
Demoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
Mark Relford
Chairman of the Bored

I think this holds up better than the original.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 AM   #37
sade
Screamy Bopper

Count me with the few folks that LOVEd "Full Moon High". It's wacky and it's got this "Airplane" sense of humor.
sade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #38
rift
Stalker

Loved Return to... as a kid, would love to watch it again some time
rift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #39
DVD-fanatic-9
Remaking My Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sade View Post
Count me with the few folks that LOVEd "Full Moon High". It's wacky and it's got this "Airplane" sense of humor.
But not just anybody can make that kind of movie, as every single spoof of the last 11 years has proven. Several of which made by the Airplane! team themselves.

Not Another Teen Movie being a surprising exception to the rule.

Last edited by DVD-fanatic-9; 01-13-2014 at 08:06 AM.
DVD-fanatic-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #40
maybrick
HackMaster

Every film has it's audience but, for me, comparing Full Moon High to Airplane is a slap in the face to the Zucker Brothers. It's no wonder in my mind why it was shelved for a number of years. It's awful and hands down the worst film Cohen has made. I just don't think he is really made for comedy. Probably the best film of his that I've seen was his first: BONE.
maybrick is offline   Reply With Quote