Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > The Niche's Corner > Laserdisc

Old 03-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
buck135
The Duke of New York

Need advice for buying my first Laserdisc Player

Hello all. I need some advise. I just purchased my first LD: the Japanese "Dawn of the Dead" Perfect Collection. I know it's putting the cart before the horse, but this LD is gorgeous. I want a LD player not only to watch it but ultimately to transfer it to a computer, probably a Mac (again putting the cart before the horse) to convert it to DVD. Can all LD players be tricked to play a LD in this region? Also, any recommendation as to what I should look for as far as a player and the best means of ripping it onto a computer? Thank you!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #2
Paff

OK, first of all, one great thing about LD: NO REGIONS!! If you have a laserdisc, and a laserdisc player, it will play. Doesn't matter where the disc came from.

Now, if you're only going to be ripping the content of the LD, you have a little more leeway. You can buy a single sided player (when the disc gets to the end, 30 minutes for a "CAV" disc, 60 for a "CLV" disc, you have to manually turn the disc over. AKA, "flippers". All LDs are flippers if you have a single sided player.

If you're going to be integrating it into your home theater and actually watching the movies, you'll want a double sided player. This one automatically plays the other side of the disc, and you'll only have to get up if there's a disc change.

Stick with Pioneer players. Look for a CLD-Dxxx, or CLD-Sxxx if you only want a single sided player ("D" and "S" are for Double or Single sided player). The "xxx" will be a 3 digit number. Higher the number, better the player. I use a CLD-D704, one of the best players made short of the "Elite" line (which is a whole new ball game, but a lot more $$$). A 502, or 406 will suit you fine.

Finally, MAKE SURE IT HAS A REMOTE! If you're going to access commentary tracks, you have to change from the digital soundtrack to the analog, and that's a function specific to LD. You won't find it on any universal remotes.

If you find some players that interest you, post 'em here and we can comment on 'em.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #3
buck135
The Duke of New York

That's excellent information. Thank you so much Paff. Any ideas as to what hardware I should look into to transfer LD's to a PC or Mac (preferably Mac)?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
buck135
The Duke of New York

Hey Paff, I took your advice and bought a Pioneer CLD-D503. It recently got a brand new belt, and everything was checked out to ensure that all was good going forward. The price was good for a player that received high praise. I got so caught up with it's condition that I forgot to check the most important piece of advice you gave me...make sure it has the remote. Luckily eBay had one for this model in excellent condition for $20. Paff, thank you so much for all of your advice. I picked up a video capture device for my PC cheap so I'll be burning my Dawn of the Dead Perfect Collection very soon.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Paff

Good first player! Have you plugged it in and used it yet?

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
buck135
The Duke of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Good first player! Have you plugged it in and used it yet?
Thanks! No, I ordered it last night. Right after I ordered it I came here to update this thread. I can't wait!