Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 AM   #1
Shawn Francis
Maniac

Detention (Trailer)

All I got is a trailer on this one. Never heard of it before. Just learned of it's existance through Bloody-Disgusting.com. It's a comedy, it's a slasher flick, it looks pretty damn bloody, and pretty damn weird.

TRAILER
Shawn Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Shawn Francis
Maniac

Sony Pictures just acquired this. The news article about this acquisition is describing the flick as an "apocalyptic fantasy, horror, science fiction, action-thriller, body swapping, time-traveling teen romantic comedy." Not sure I got ALL that from the trailer, but in light of that description, I think, I REALLY need to see this now.

Last edited by Shawn Francis; 06-15-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Shawn Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Hellbilly
HellPumpkin

Could've sworn I saw this weeks ago.
I'm definitely interested, looks like tons of fun.

Movie Tracker 2014

Last edited by Hellbilly; 06-15-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
_pi_
Peace, bitch

Bumping this ... cos it's the only Detention thread that came up when I searched.

Anyone seen this yet? I just did - and I loved it. Was surprised at how much I loved it. Honestly, it sounded like it would be a mess.

And it kind of is - but a totally insane, ridiculous and entertaining mess. Great cast. No, fantastic cast. They really make it work. And Joseph Kahn's directing is just bizarrely wonderful to behold.

Totally recommend it for fans of Scott Pilgrim, Kaboom or even Scream. And it's a perfect companion piece to The Cabin in the Woods!

Baby, there ain't nothing good about this goodbye.
_pi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
baggio
HackMaster

Just released on dvd & blu-ray yesterday.
baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

I didn't care for it. I prefer my slasher films to actually be slasher films, and plots are a nice thing to have as well.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Enjoyed the hell out of it. So bizarre, random and insane.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
ReelFear
Maniac

DETENTION starts out like a cross between Clueless and Scream, but then becomes a whole lot more strange as it goes on. The slasher element is actually a very small part of the film and sort of gets lost along the way with all the time travel, UFO's, body switching, and even a character who becomes "The Fly". Detention is a lot of fun, but if you're looking for a serious horror film, then look elsewhere. For all others there is serious cult potential here. My rating for pure entertainment value is 7.5/10.

Last edited by ReelFear; 08-01-2012 at 11:31 PM.
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
tropical marsh
Stalker

There's no doubt this feels like a movie made for the ADD generation, but its schizophrenic tendencies don't really come together to make for an enjoyable film. The horror elements seem out of place (which is hard to imagine for such a fucked up movie), and it's not really all that funny either. Mostly, it's just fuckin' oddball and stupid, and not in a good cult classic kinda way. Think of it as a low rent mixture of Donnie Darko, Scary Movie 2 and the worst John Hughes knockoff imaginable.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:47 AM   #10
Katatonia
Master of Doom

I liked it, even though it had many faults. I kind of agree with what tropical said above though. Sometimes it just got rather stupid...and the pace of the film just often seemed to "hyper"

It's far from a perfect film, but still enjoyable. But it's really a film you're either going to like or hate. I can easily understand if a person didn't enjoy it.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
thehellyousay
Screamy Bopper

I'm in the "Didn't Like It" camp. Too much going on to have any cohesion. Feels more like someone wanting to get all of their favorite ideas from other movies into one movie just in case they never make another movie.

As I was watching it, I felt like it was just 3-4 minute segments slammed together. After it was over I looked up the director and he's known for music videos and that movie Torque. So, that might explain the ADD feeling.

Also, the dialogue was delivered as if it had no punctuation.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
tropical marsh
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehellyousay View Post
I'm in the "Didn't Like It" camp. Too much going on to have any cohesion. Feels more like someone wanting to get all of their favorite ideas from other movies into one movie just in case they never make another movie.

As I was watching it, I felt like it was just 3-4 minute segments slammed together. After it was over I looked up the director and he's known for music videos and that movie Torque. So, that might explain the ADD feeling.

Also, the dialogue was delivered as if it had no punctuation.
Yeah, it's like listening to actual teenagers talk in your ear for 90 straight mins., all while sounding like Diablo Cody rejects on speed. Trust me, it's just as annoying as it sounds.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
Copyboy
Maniac

Just saw this last night and loved it. Sure, it has a lot of faults but it was a hell of a fun ride and found a way to make a totally original movie out of a bazillion unoriginal ideas.
Copyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
Hatchetwarrior
HackMaster

This is one of those movies that has no gray area. Either you'll love it or absolutely hate it. Personally I loved it. It's over the top, original and hysterical. But I can perfectly understand why one could hate it. If you can't stomach the first 10-15 minutes of the film just stop watching because the whole tone of the film is very aggressive. And when I say aggressive I mean the movie is so self aware they might as well take a jackhammer to the 4th wall.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #15
Dobby
HackMaster

$6 on Blu-ray at Frys great deal for a $10 million pile of shit.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote