Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Spit
HackMaster

Dark Skies

Alien abduction movies normally freak me the fuck out, but I've been disenfranchise with the genera since that Milla Jovovich abortion of a film The Fourth Kind.

Saw the preview for this recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaQyNoRyGY

and got excited.

Its been along time since a good abduction movie came out, an from the trailer this one appears to have it all. Anyone else looking forward to this?

When your a drug addict, its important to pace yourself -Bill
Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

It has been a long time since we saw a decent alien abduction flick, probably 1993 with Fire in the Sky, but I love the sub genre so I'll be checking this out. It's produced by Blumhouse, the company behind Paranormal Activity, Insidious, and Sinister. I like their business model (make films for under $5 million and give the filmmakers creative control) even if I haven't loved every single movie they've done.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
hots4
Stalker

Just read fattyjoe37's decription of the production company Blumhouse, after checking IMDB Sinister only cost 3 million, i enjoyed that a lot and it certanly looks like more money was spent on this, not seen the trailer yet for dark skies (at work and youtube don't play), but count me in sounds promising.
hots4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Mok
Helena Harper

Holy crap I saw the trailer for this last night - it looks so creepy! Definitely on my radar.
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
MorallySound
There is no magic.

Looking forward to this one as well.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
spawningblue
Deadite

Yeah this looks good. I didn't realize it was coming out so soon.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
russweiss
Maniac

I've seen the trailer a few times and really didn't think much of it. I have a wait and see attitude.
russweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Katatonia
Master of Doom

At first I thought this was Night Skies, the Jason Connery alien abduction film from 2007. I found that one quite creepy and underrated, and probably the last good abduction movie for me.

This one does look promising though, judging by the trailer.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Anthropophagus
HackMaster

Just saw it and it left me cold.
It felt like Close Encounters, Signs, and Insidious thrown in a blender.
Sinister, Insidious and Dark Skies are way too much alike. With Insidious 2 on the way, this team better come up with new ideas fast.
It just did not have the creepiness of Insidious or Sinister for me, the acting was just ok as well.
Anthropophagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #10
Ash28M
HackMaster

I just got back from seeing this and thought it was good. Not as good as Sinister and a ways back from Insidious but it hit most of the right notes for me. Some of the scenes with the alien expert were a bit ho hum and I may of done without some of the dream/black out sequences but other then that, really not much to complain about overall.

Last edited by Ash28M; 02-23-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I just got back from it as well, and though I agree, it did feel like Insidious and Signs in a blender, it still was pretty effective... The last 10 minutes or so had me pretty freaked.
I do have to point out though, the cinematography and the sound design was absolutely fantastic. An audio and visual feast. Some moments were really predictable, but they still had some good pay off, no cheap scares either.
Go see it!

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
fattyjoe37
HackMaster

Definitely recommended. The best alien abduction film since Fire in the Sky. We need more movies like this and less like The Fourth Kind in this subgenre. Now Dark Skies wasn't perfect, but so few alien films are even decent so I'm just happy. This film has a good slow burn suspense feel with some effective jolts thrown in the mix. The actors were all effective and the story treated alien abuduction seriously, like what would happen in the real world if a family was going through this, how would the people it's happening to and the people around them react. But there were a few negatives. A go nowhere subplot (CPS), obvious CGI on the aliens (at least they were kept in shadow the entire time), and a lackluster attempt at a twist ending (didn't we already know all the info that the character is shocked to discover?). But even with those complaints, its an easy recommendation for me.
fattyjoe37 is offline   Reply With Quote