American Horror Story - season 1
Christ75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #32
Workshed
Meeting Adjourned.

Cabin in the Woods
Prometheus (if we're counting it)
Resident Underworld Evil: Retro- wakening
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #33
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiephantom View Post
Best overall Film of the year: Compliance

Horror top 10

1. Sleep Tight
2. Mother's Day
3. Chained
4. The Innkeepers
5. Entrance
6. John Dies at the End
7. Piranha 3DD
8. Twixt
9. Excision
10. The Wicker Tree

Best Animated: ParaNorman
Honorable Mentions: Attack of the 50 ft. Cheerleader, Father's Day, The Divide.
I just saw Sleep Tight tonight - great movie! Deliciously fucked up story that makes twisted seem normal. I really really enjoyed that one!
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:57 AM   #34
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
I just saw Sleep Tight tonight - great movie! Deliciously fucked up story that makes twisted seem normal. I really really enjoyed that one!
Added to my Netflix queue

Also saw Compliance over last weekend. Really hard to watch, in that twisty/cringe-y way. Which is good. Biggest drawback was that I really like Dreama Walker (love her ABC sitcom), and love seeing her naked, but not like that.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #35
msw7
Morso a morte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post

Also saw Compliance over last weekend. Really hard to watch, in that twisty/cringe-y way. Which is good. Biggest drawback was that I really like Dreama Walker (love her ABC sitcom), and love seeing her naked, but not like that.
I'd be surprised if you don't love Sleep Tight. I think Compliance is next in my queue, I've been looking forward to it for a while
msw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #36
Ash28M
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paff View Post

Yeah what an unbelievable story Compliance is. It's mind boggling to imagine how those events could be possible and it wasn't even an isolated incident. Saying that I wouldn't say it qualifies as horror though.
Ash28M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #37
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash28M View Post
Yeah what an unbelievable story Compliance is. It's mind boggling to imagine how those events could be possible and it wasn't even an isolated incident.
The movie is pretty accurate to what actually happened. You can watch the ABC news report on YouTube.
CPT HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #38
spawningblue
Deadite

This wasn't a strong year for horror films in my opinion, and although I have probably seen more films this year then any other, not too many of those were horror.

My Favourite Horror Films of 2012

1. The Cabin in the Woods - For a larger write up on this, check out my "Top 10 Movies of 2012" post. Needless to say this movie was a blast, one of the most original films I've seen in some time and a huge love letter to horror fans.

2. Prometheus - I'm surprised all the hate this movie is getting. I guess I just don't watch a movie to pick it apart and search for plot holes. Other then the ending and its terrible CGI, I enjoyed the slow pace and build up of this film. It brought me back to Ridley's first foray into space.

3. The Innkeepers - Ti West is definitely one of my favourite horror Director's out there right now. He makes extremely slow paced films where not much happens but for some reason I never find myself bored. It may have something to do with the interesting characters he writes. And when the scares do come they are usually worth the long wait.

4. The Woman in Black - Although this one didn't work for me as it did others, I still really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere and set pieces, I just wish it was scarier.

5. Frankenweenie - You can tell I am desperate here when I am including this in my list. Not really a horror film but since it's a huge homage to Frankenstein I feel it fits. I love stop motion and Tim Burton makes a return to form here.

6. Silent House - I liked this even if the ending was a huge let down. Unique idea (Made to seem like it's all shot in one take) with some decent scares.

Silent Night - Some decent kills, the wood chipper scene being a stand out, but overall pretty bad. Awful script and acting, and most importantly lacking a Christmas feel. Where is all the snow!?

Dark Shadows - Awful! Not really horror film but since it is about vampires and werewolves and witches oh my, I thought I'd throw it in. I like both Tim Burton and Johnny Depp for the most part, but they really need to stop creating these films together. This was the worst of the lot in my opinion, a huge mess that didn't know what it was trying to be.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast

Last edited by spawningblue; 02-06-2013 at 06:06 PM.
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #39
Paff

Quote:
Originally Posted by msw7 View Post
I'd be surprised if you don't love Sleep Tight. I think Compliance is next in my queue, I've been looking forward to it for a while
I don't know if I'd call Sleep Tight horror, but I did really dig it. Very fucked up, in that good sort of way. Did you watch the making-of documentary on the Blu-Ray? It's longer than that actual film!!! I was gonna give it a perfunctory watch (since most making-ofs are little more than fluff pieces), but about 15 minutes in I realized it's a thorough dissection of the filmmaking process (better than any commentary could be) so I'm going to start it again when I can give it my full and undivided attention. Of course, the fact that I don't speak Spanish means I can't have it on in the background and just listen to it.

* - The extra B is for BYOBB

Paff's Laserdiscs
Paff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 AM   #40
bigwes15
Maniac

I don't have a top ten at this point, but without a doubt Sinister tops the list for me.
bigwes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #41
Cropsy
Screamy Bopper

The Sleeper
Silent Night

These two were my favorite.
Cropsy is offline   Reply With Quote