Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Frankenweenie (2012)

Didn't see a thread on this. The family and I saw this last night and loved it. There are numerous references and homages to classic horror films in this flick. Anyone else see this yet? Looking at boxofficemojo, apparently a lot of people haven't as it's looking like a theatrical flop. This is too bad as I love stop motion films and wished more were still being made.
rxfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
X-human
I ate my keys

I loved the original short as a kid but Burton's been really mediocre for awhile now so I was hesitant to see this. It just felt like a bad idea all over. So maybe I set my expectations too low but I thought it was the best thing Burton's done since Ed Wood. It was everything Corpse Bride should have been and more. It was a little slow in the middle but picked things up for an all out ending. Plus the song "Strange Love" is a great little tune that's now constantly in my head.

I saw it in IMAX on Columbus Day the Monday after it opened and while there was a ton of people at the theater there was only four other people in the IMAX for Frankenweenie. It's clearly bombed and I think IMAX even dumped it for a last minute deal with Paramount to put in Paranormal Activity 4. That's the way it seems to work. Burton makes a great film and it doesn't make a nickle. I wonder if the bad word of mouth from Dark Shadows had any effect on people.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
MorallySound
There is no magic.

I've wanted to check it out but haven't yet as it was only playing in 3D here until recently, so now that it's showing in 2D I plan to check it out as soon as I can find the time.

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
spawningblue
Deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-human View Post
I loved the original short as a kid but Burton's been really mediocre for awhile now so I was hesitant to see this. It just felt like a bad idea all over. So maybe I set my expectations too low but I thought it was the best thing Burton's done since Ed Wood. It was everything Corpse Bride should have been and more. It was a little slow in the middle but picked things up for an all out ending. Plus the song "Strange Love" is a great little tune that's now constantly in my head.

I saw it in IMAX on Columbus Day the Monday after it opened and while there was a ton of people at the theater there was only four other people in the IMAX for Frankenweenie. It's clearly bombed and I think IMAX even dumped it for a last minute deal with Paramount to put in Paranormal Activity 4. That's the way it seems to work. Burton makes a great film and it doesn't make a nickle. I wonder if the bad word of mouth from Dark Shadows had any effect on people.
I agree with it probably being his best film since Ed Wood. It's too bad it's not doing well but I guess Hotel Transylvania is taking all its audience away. I would personally take stop motion over CG any day of the week. That and it stars Adam Sandler and has been getting terrible reviews. They should have released it at a different time as I'm sure Hotel Transylvania is a lot more attractive for kids then a black and white stop motion flick.

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

Bump!

This came out on DVD / Blu-ray this week. In case you missed it in theaters (which appears most people did), please give it a try at home! The blu-ray also comes with the live action 80s short film as well.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
Workshed
Satan is Our Pal

The title totally turned me off, and I've never been into Burton's animation as much as his live action. But the positivity here made me add it to my queue.
Well as the video explains, I do not think it is a great film, nor do I think.
Workshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
deepred
Maniac

I enjoyed it also.

A lot of co-workers told me their kids were not interested because it was in black and white.
deepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
MorallySound
There is no magic.

It finally played in 2D theatrically back in October, where I recounted it for the Annual October Viewing thread. But here's my brief review to help persuade others into checking it out as I enjoyed it a lot:

A return to form for Tim Burton who crafts a tale of a boy and his dog that's touching, humourous, and full of subtle nods to classic filmmaking and the films that inspired Burton himself. An homage to the classic monster movies as well as beautifully meticulous stop motion animation, Frankenweenie manages to be entertaining, creepy, spooky, and a whole lot of light hearted fun!

Videonomicon | Mantis in Black Lace | Vimeo | Instagram | Letterboxd | Tumblr | Twitter | Reel to Reel | DVD Aficionado
MorallySound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
spawningblue
Deadite

Extremely dissapinting to read this on Box Office Mojo's Winners and Losers list for 2012.

This is from the the Losers section.

"Stop-Motion Animation: While computer animation did great in 2012, stop-motion animation had such a bad year that it's going to be tough for any future projects to get green-lit.

After three years without a single release, the sub-genre had three high-profile entries in 2012, and all of them underperformed against modest comparable titles. ParaNorman, the best of the bunch, grossed just $56 million, or noticeably less than Coraline's $75.3 million. Frankenweenie was even worse with $34.7 million, or just 65 percent of what director Tim Burton's Corpse Bride earned in 2005 ($53.4 million). Finally, The Pirates! Band of Misfits set a new low for Aardman Animation with a paltry $31.1 million.

The genre performed so poorly this year that Disney decided put the kibosh on a Henry Selick stop-motion animated movie that they had already sunk tons of cash in to (around $50 million, according to some reports). Looking ahead, there is only one stop-motion project currently on the calendar (a new entry from LAIKA, the company behind Coraline/ParaNorman), and it won't reach theaters until September 2014."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3601&p=.htm

It's too bad as I am a huge fan of stop motion and couldn't give two shits about CGI movies, yes even Pixar films. Sad to see a movie like Hotel Transyvania make more then 5x what Frankenweenie made and more then 3x what Paranorman brought in (Using Worldwide figures, though Domestic isn't much of a difference).

My Movie Collection

The Horror and More! Podcast
spawningblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #10
rxfiend
Joe Six-Pack

I don't get why stop motion is doing so poorly. It's such an amazing art form, especially how well it can be done with modern techniques. I could care less about CG cartoons. I haven't seen Paranorman yet, but I absolutely love Coraline. It's a shame more won't be coming out soon.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
X-human
I ate my keys

It's sad as I love stop motion and even performed some while I studied animation in college. The thing about ParaNorman though was that it looked so good I could imagine kids not knowing it's anything other than CGI (if they think about it at all). The digital world has really opened up stop motion with high quality photography. Coraline's negative is 8k I think. Since they can use still photography over video photography they'll always be several steps ahead of the digital video realm.

Still Disney is pushing really hard with Frankenweenie. I see ads now all over IMDb, Comcast and other outlets. It's almost a harder push then when it was in theaters! It may be a combination of a sleeper hit on DVD and Disney's pushing Frankenweenie in front of the Academy over Brave which is surprising to me. But with ParaNorman being their real competition it might not be so surprising after all.

A Few Ants Short. And what the hell, check out my DVD Collection won't you?
X-human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #12
ReelFear
Maniac

Saw it on a plane this weekend. Great character design and cool horror references. Overall really well done. Not Tim Burton's best work, but worth watching once for sure.
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
Erick H.
HackMaster

I solidly enjoyed it in the theater,sorry it didn't do better.As much as I enjoyed it though I actually preferred PARANORMAN.It had great animation and a strong voice cast but I was surprised at how deep(and dark) it got in the last third.Ultimately more resonant than I was expecting.It's worth a look.
Erick H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
Mok
HackMaster

REally wanted to see this in theatres but the fall was super-busy time for me
Mok is offline   Reply With Quote