Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #421
CrazyFatEthel
HackMaster

Imo, the loss of blue hues ruined the movie for me. It took all away of the atmosphere!
Old 11-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #422
Body Boy
HackMaster

Just got this and watched the film.

On a side note, I'm noticing that Madman has a lot more flaws than I noticed before, and kind of tires by the end. But not that bad for a third viewing. 6/10

As for the Code Red transfer, I will admit that in the woods and Madman house scenes, the blue hues look a lot better in terms of atmosphere. However, as far as the sharpness and clarity goes, Code Red destroys Anchor Bay. I don't understand the whole train wreck analogy. Yeah, there are problems with the color and transitions, but basically, Code Red's is clearer and more detailed. I never noticed some key moments in such a way before. It was cool to see what the actual color of the woods scenes were to be. I prefer the blue most especially during the deaths of the drunk, TP, the decapitated guy, the car girl and the end scene with Alexis in the house, but this wasn't a fail by any means. I mean, in a contest of which transfer I would rather watch, I'd go for the AB disc in terms of atmosphere, even if Code Red has the superior image, however the CR disc is so packed you can't pass it up. Also, the interlacing wasn't even noticeable save for very few shots. Y'all are crazy. This is a very good release.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #423
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Boy View Post
Y'all are crazy. This is a very good release.
Agree!
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:00 AM   #424
bigwes15
Maniac

I just watched the Code Red for the first time tonight (and was pleased unexpectedly to see that I was watching it on the last weekend before Thanksgiving, the same time as the movie takes place!...although what camp would be taking place then still puzzles me), and I do honestly think that the print is weak. The blues are sorely missed, and the interlacing in my opinion makes for some clarity problems. HOWEVER, the 90 minute documentary is fantastic and should make this a mandatory purchase from everybody on this board. Although I could have done without the scenes from horror website afficionados, the numerous memories from the cast and even a visit to the original filming site where Paul and Gary find one last remnant(the rope hanging from a tree) are truly priceless. Buy this dvd, guys!
bigwes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:42 AM   #425
Body Boy
HackMaster

Yeah, whenever I see horror fandom on DVDs as extras, I cringe many times. It's just like "I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU! I WANT THE PEOPLE INVOLVED WITH THE FILM!"

Though, it has worked somewhat in the past. Like Tony on the SPM Collection discs, who added a lot imo.
Body Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:56 AM   #426
CPT HOOK
HackMaster

Quote:
Yeah, whenever I see horror fandom on DVDs as extras, I cringe many times. It's just like "I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU! I WANT THE PEOPLE INVOLVED WITH THE FILM!"
I agree with this too. There was about a 30 minute chunk near the end of the featurette that was just nothing but fans showing off their collectibles. Some of the items were cool, but it quickly became overkill.

But the rest of the featurette was fantastic. Paul Ehlers seems like quite a character. I really enjoyed the location visit.
CPT HOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #427
Katatonia
Master of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT HOOK View Post
I agree with this too. There was about a 30 minute chunk near the end of the featurette that was just nothing but fans showing off their collectibles. Some of the items were cool, but it quickly became overkill.

But the rest of the featurette was fantastic. Paul Ehlers seems like quite a character. I really enjoyed the location visit.
I agree. The documentary is worth the price of the disc, but it could have been an hour long or under. Some of the crap near the end was just...superfluous.

I also watched the old Anchor Bay disc right after viewing the Code Red disc, and I still prefer the AB transfer by far...albeit non-anamorphic.

Katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #428
springjack
Maniac

Quote:
However, as far as the sharpness and clarity goes, Code Red destroys Anchor Bay.
Can?t agree with you there.
For me, Anchor is twice sharp and all the new colors are wrong, and all the reviews say it.
Yes, the missing blue hue makes the picture more clear, but in this case I think it was a wrong move.

It is your opinion and I respect it.
________
Yamaha mt-100

Last edited by springjack; 03-20-2011 at 10:58 PM.
springjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #429
MisterTwister
HackMaster

Quote:

Though, it has worked somewhat in the past. Like Tony on the SPM Collection discs, who added a lot imo.
I cringe as well. That's what killed MY NAME IS JASON for me. The annoying fan bullshit from people like Uncle Creepy.

Still need to pick this up.
MisterTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #430
SickNick89
Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTwister View Post
I cringe as well. That's what killed MY NAME IS JASON for me. The annoying fan bullshit from people like Uncle Creepy.

Still need to pick this up.
and on the Halloween DVD that dude from Arrowinthehead offering up great insights like "whys there a mute kid in this movie man" and "that shamorock song man, that damn shamrock song". I do agree with his thoughs on H8 though.

My DVD Collection:
http://sicknick.dvdaf.com/
SickNick89 is offline   Reply With Quote