Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 05-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #136
DVDCannibal
Screamy Bopper

Yeah it was released in the UK on DVD but in a very heavily cut form.
DVDCannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:39 AM   #137
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

I remember when it was first released in 1982 where I grew up...I may have posted the newspaper ad someplace here. Anyway - we weren't allowed to see it (we were all of 11 and 12 years of age)...even with a note from our parents (this theater in Reno, NV. was willing to accept that which is mindblowing) so we were "downgraded" to seeing...get this: TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE with MASSACRE AT CENTRAL HIGH.
Not that I complained, but I do remember seeing the packed crowds leaving the theater "NIGHTMARE" was in and they all seemed to have had a good time.
another random "streetwalk down memory lane" by me.
RIP "Sparks Cinema 8".
wago70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #138
make believe
Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wago70 View Post
I remember when it was first released in 1982 where I grew up...I may have posted the newspaper ad someplace here. Anyway - we weren't allowed to see it (we were all of 11 and 12 years of age)...even with a note from our parents (this theater in Reno, NV. was willing to accept that which is mindblowing) so we were "downgraded" to seeing...get this: TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE with MASSACRE AT CENTRAL HIGH.
That's hysterical.

That's cool you still have the newspaper ad. If you can post it up, I'd be curious to see it.
make believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #139
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Here's "NIGHTMARE" one week before we (attempted) to see it at another 'plex (the second run theater). This was late May or early June 1982 if I recall correctly.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #140
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Was browsing the IMDB forums to see if anything was happening with the film, and was rather disturbed when I saw this:

Marc Heuck, who has worked with Code Red, had this to say about NIGHTMARE:

"In a terrible example of life imitating art, NIGHTMARE is turning into a nightmare.

The negative is unusable. When the lab attempted to inspect it, it was stuck together and could not be separated or salvaged.

The master has been sourced from six different prints, and is still probably going to inspire some troutmouth to complain that their Venezuelan bootleg had better picture quality.

Two different translators were hired to translate and subtitle Scavolini's 90 minute interview, which was conducted in Italian despite the fact that both he and his interviewer spoke perfectly good English. (???) One never did the work, the other chose to "condense" his replies in such a fashion that it looked like one of those foreign film gags in a TV sketch comedy; for example, when asked about how he got on with somebody, Scavolini speaks and gestures for almost a minute, yet all that appears underneath is "We got along well."

So much money has been spent on preparing the disc and supplements already, and taking into account the poor sales of Code Red releases in general, that NIGHTMARE will have to outsell every previous Code Red release combined...let me repeat that, combined...just to break even.

Again, this is a no-win situation. If CR cuts their losses and puts out the movie as is, with no supplements, the haters start bitching that their favorite movie wasn't given the special edition treatment it was promised. If they continue to try salvaging the Scavolini interview, it means the disc is delayed still, and the haters start bitching that CR is putting out crap that deserves to fail instead of what they want right here right now. And in either situation, they will never make their investment back.

So who needs a drink right now?"

So ya. Things are looking grim for Nightmare.
Shlockjock81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #141
wago70
Robinson Crusoe on Mars

They could just make a little announcement with this info, release the film as is and I'd buy it for sure.
I respect the work put into it enough. Include some trailers and I'd be happy for this film in my collection. That's just me, however.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #142
scott71670
Maniac

I would definitely try to get it "as is" even though I am not working right now. Just seeing it as beatup as it is is probablecomparable to seeing it on the screen at the print's umpteenth showing at a grindhouse.
scott71670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #143
hotbodynick
Victim

There was a pretty awesome looking 35 mm print shown here in the Phoenix area about a year ago, I'm not sure where they got it from but it looked great. I would imagine it could definitely be cleaned up and used if they were to track it down. I hadn't seen it in a while, I was appalled and shocked! Not by the gore or the kinky shit, but by how much of a complete bitch and worthless, self-centered parent the mom was in the movie.
hotbodynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #144
WesReviews
HackMaster

For the life of me, I will never understand why Code Red puts so much stock into "internet bitching" that they would completely delay or even cancel a disc's release. Has the internet become this powerful? A lot of people say shit on the net, but when push comes to shove, if the choice comes down to buying Nightmare on DVD or sticking with a beat-up VHS tape that will eventually erode to nothing... most haters will fork over the cash.

And regarding the translators... why would they need to hire two in the first place, and furthermore, why would you hire someone without checking them out first?

I've always tried my best to take up for Code Red and I've really dug most of their past releases... but I do wonder sometimes if they even have a clue about what they're doing.

Oh, The Horror! Reviews - Horror movie reviews... all decades, all sub-genres.
ACTION ALLIANCE - Action film talk with action film fans.

"Life differs from the play only in this... it has no plot, all is vague, desultory, unconnected till the curtain drops with the mystery unsolved." - Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

Last edited by WesReviews; 06-30-2010 at 07:02 PM.
WesReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #145
fceurich39
HackMaster

all i care about if it is uncut i could care less about special features just put a ton of code red trailers instead at this point just release the damn thing please
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #146
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbodynick View Post
There was a pretty awesome looking 35 mm print shown here in the Phoenix area about a year ago, I'm not sure where they got it from but it looked great. I would imagine it could definitely be cleaned up and used if they were to track it down. I hadn't seen it in a while, I was appalled and shocked! Not by the gore or the kinky shit, but by how much of a complete bitch and worthless, self-centered parent the mom was in the movie.
This is exactly what irritates the living fuck out of me. There ARE good prints of the film out there. Why Code Red continuously makes up these stories and gets more defensive than a spoiled rotten 4 year old is beyond me.

One of our most treasured films is in the hands of a bunch of amateurs.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #147
springjack
Maniac

Just send me the damn interview and I will translate it... word by word
________
Ford york engine picture

Last edited by springjack; 03-20-2011 at 09:46 PM.
springjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 PM   #148
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

This greatly pisses me off.

How long has it been since they announced that the interview had been filmed?!?!
This completely ridiculous.

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #149
Shlockjock81
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Just send me the damn interview and I will translate it... word by word
I rest my fucking case. I, myself, know several people that speak Italian fluently. They ARE plentiful and aren't hard to find!!

Code Red is full of shit. Some great releases, but full of shit nonetheless.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #150
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Sounds like a mess.

Might as well get a bootleg copy at this stage seeing as this will probably never see the light of day.