Horror Digital Forum  

Go Back   Horror Digital Forum > All Things Horror > General

Old 07-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
delicreep
Stalker

Code Red's Nightmare aka Nightmares in a Damaged Brain

I just listened to an interview with Code Red's Lee Christian over at www.destroythebrain.com. While covering a slew of their upcoming DVD's, Lee is asked about Nightmare. Amidst all of the other info, he mentions two things that got my attention:

1)Code Red recently came across another release print of the film.

2)Romano Scavolini has agreed to do a commentary, but he lives overseas and getting him in L.A. has been problematic. They are still waiting.

Cool news. The commentary is almost essential, and I'm happy that it looks like Code Red is really trying to make it happen. From the sound of it, things might still fall through. Keep your fingers crossed.

As for the new print, Lee makes it sound like it has less print damage (save for the reel changes, which have problems) than the one they've been using for the commentaries. From the sound of things, Code Red is mulling over what to do with this new discovery (which makes 8(!) release prints that they have been working with).

There is no release date on the horizon for Nightmare, but at least Lee gives two good reasons* why this DVD is taking so long. From what I heard, it sounds like a lot of care is going into this release, as much as a small outfit like CR can muster.

BTW, there is a slew of other stuff from Code Red in the interview (other DVDs, the Code Red snafu) and so I recommend that you give it a listen--it's audio only, no transcript. Hopefully, I haven't screwed up or misinterpreted any of what I heard.

*The third reason an especially cool idea: Code Red wants to either have script excerpts for certain scenes, or the entire script itself available as an extra on the DVD. They're still awaiting to hear from Romano Scavolini about this.
delicreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #2
fceurich39
HackMaster

any news or updates and can we expect this be released in 2009?
fceurich39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
CodeRedDVd

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicreep View Post

2)Romano Scavolini has agreed to do a commentary, but he lives overseas and getting him in L.A. has been problematic. They are still waiting.

Cool news. The commentary is almost essential, and I'm happy that it looks like Code Red is really trying to make it happen. From the sound of it, things might still fall through. Keep your fingers crossed.
Romano one day tells us he wants to do a commentary, and another day he tells us he only wants to do a interview. Don't know what will happen, but we are running on Romano's time.

Quote:

As for the new print, Lee makes it sound like it has less print damage (save for the reel changes, which have problems) than the one they've been using for the commentaries. From the sound of things, Code Red is mulling over what to do with this new discovery (which makes 8(!) release prints that they have been working with).
Lee is just making it sound good. the new print is still had problems, but better crap the 5 other print we worked on and wasted money. You have understand these print is 27 years old and ran to death.

Quote:

There is no release date on the horizon for Nightmare, but at least Lee gives two good reasons* why this DVD is taking so long. From what I heard, it sounds like a lot of care is going into this release, as much as a small outfit like CR can muster.

BTW, there is a slew of other stuff from Code Red in the interview (other DVDs, the Code Red snafu) and so I recommend that you give it a listen--it's audio only, no transcript. Hopefully, I haven't screwed up or misinterpreted any of what I heard.
thanks Delicreep, we appreciate your support you have given us on thi board and imdb! Please call the film NIGHTMARE and not NIGHTMARE IN A DAMAGED BRAIN. That's the non-official title a Uk distributor created for the UK release when he licensed the film for 15 years (ended in 1993). He's the one that still keep selling in the UK for dvd!!!!

Quote:

*The third reason an especially cool idea: Code Red wants to either have script excerpts for certain scenes, or the entire script itself available as an extra on the DVD. They're still awaiting to hear from Romano Scavolini about this.
script idea maybe scrapped for now, for we may have to charge $34.99 SRP for the disc due to additional production cost, and it hard to charge that kind of a price as we are having trouble charging SRP19.98 on our titles, as that price point doesnt even break even for us sometimes.

Last edited by CodeRedDVd; 10-03-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Angelman
HackMaster

$34.99! Oof. You are doing good work over there for sure, and I love this flick but wow! $34.99?
Angelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
vampyr789
9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

what are the special features???
all i know is:

Theatrical Trailer
Interviews
Audio Commentary
Photo Gallery
and more...

that is all i have heard, now i hear about a second audio commentary, and interview! WOW!!! the only thing it needs a Behind the Scenes of the Gore Footage, and the rumored shooting script. that would be perfect!!!

(i do know that Baird has recorded a AC, and filmed an interview)

New Friday the 13th Boxset Petition
vampyr789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #6
dwatts
HackMaster

I'm going to keep calling it Nightmare in a Damaged Brain, because it's a very cool title.

But I'll buy an uncut version of this even if the print is a little beaten up. Guaranteed.
dwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 AM   #7
ReelFear
Maniac

NIGHTMARE is an essential title in the early 80's slasher genre. Therefore i will pay even $30 to have a special edition in my collection, knowing how much care is going into the release. Since it seems as if this release is still a ways off, i will continue to enjoy my uncut, widescreen (but very scratchy) bootleg. Cant wait for the upgrade. thanks Code Red.
ReelFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
delicreep
Stalker

Bill,

I'm sure the prints are in pretty rough shape. I think fans are starting to understand that distributors don't have the same love affair with films that they do, and that exploitation and horror films from decades past have not only been worked to death, but are rarely give much care at all after they are out of circulation. Sympathy for niche DVD companies (like Code Red) that are trying their best with shoddy materials is becoming easier to find.

I mean, Coppola had to get Spielberg to hassle Paramount on his behalf to do a from-the-ground-up remastering of The Godfather films!

Quote:
script idea maybe scrapped for now, for we may have to charge $34.99 SRP for the disc due to additional production cost, and it hard to charge that kind of a price as we are having trouble charging SRP19.98 on our titles, as that price point doesnt even break even for us sometimes.
34.95 is somewhat steep, but not unreasonable if the DVD is packed. Pieces is going for 24.95, Nekromantik 2 still going for 29.95, etc..(these prices don't reflect any seller's discounts), and Mondo Macabro has a few titles for 24.95. I know I would pay that amount. But, I can see the problem since it looks like next year's market might not support such a price tag.

The inclusion of the script is such a great idea. I hope you aren't forced to cut it!

Quote:
Romano one day tells us he wants to do a commentary, and another day he tells us he only wants to do a interview. Don't know what will happen, but we are running on Romano's time.
Well, we Italians can be temperamental!

Quote:
thanks Delicreep, we appreciate your support you have given us on thi board and imdb!
My pleasure. Code Red does good work, I'm interested most of your titles, and your company actually talks to its fans like they're human beings. My hope is that Code Red will be around for a good while.
delicreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
Mattapooh
Maniac

$35 is steep, but I think I'd still find some way to work that out. My only requirement is that there be a coupon thrown in for a free tour of the Code Red offices followed by a complimentary hand job. Either that or free pie.
Mattapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:05 AM   #10
17thJuggalo
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattapooh View Post
complimentary hand job.
The kicker though is that it's done Night of the Demon style.
17thJuggalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:48 AM   #11
Rockmjd

I'd pay whatever to get this movie.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #12
CodeRedDVd

Just to let you know, my Italian extra guy conducted an interview with Romano Scavolini yesterday, (Romano declined to do a commentary, instead preferred to do a lengthy on camera interiew) he said he filmed over an hour worth of materials, so once we have it subtitled (it was conducted in Italian), which can be a major hassle, we should be able to start finalizing the release.

Last edited by CodeRedDVd; 10-10-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
Cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRedDVd View Post
Just to let you know, my Italian extra guy conducted an interview with Romano Scavolini yesterday, (Romano declined to do a commentary, instead preferred to do a lengthy on camera interiew) he said he filmed over an hour worth of materials, so once we have it subtitled (it was conducted in Italian), we should be able to start fianlizing the release.
Good luck with this release and future releases.
Code Red titles are R1 must-haves in my book!
You guys need to get a distributor in Australia!!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
Zombie Dude
HackMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Good luck with this release and future releases.
Code Red titles are R1 must-haves in my book!
You guys need to get a distributor in Australia!!
We can always import.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #15
Stige
HackMaster

35 for lots of bonus stuff? no problem , wouldn't blink an eye and buy it no problem for that
Stige is offline   Reply With Quote