Zu: Warrios From the Magic Mountain

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by russweiss, Feb 13, 2020.

1. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Tsui Hark's 1983 Hong Kong Fantasy is finally getting a blu-ray release. Due out on April 20th.

1.jpg

Steel76 likes this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Been almost 20 years, since I last saw the movie. It’s wonderfully over the top, and was one of the many supernatural Hong Kong movies that was the inspiration for Carpenter, when he made Big Trouble in Little China :)

3. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Eureka! has been kicking out a series of blu-ray upgraded Hong Kong classics recently, notables include the Once Upon A Time In China Trilogy, Project A & Project A Part II, Iron Monkey, and Drunken Master.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. russweiss

88 Films has released quite a few Hong Kong titles too. They're putting out Eight Diagram Pole Fighter soon which is one of my favorite martial arts films.

Steel76 likes this.
  5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

They released the Project A movies???

Damn, I may have to get those. I freakin' love those two movies.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

7. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Don't have them, so can't speak to quality (although MorallySound already did).

I'm on the fence about Drunken Master, so haven't got that one. I'd probably grab it if it was a set with the sequel. I have the other two I mentioned, both are excellent upgrades, Once Upon A Time In China Trilogy (a personal favorite) being probably as close to a definitive edition we're ever likely to get. Eureka! has done a few others that don't quite grab me, like Wheels on Meals (didn't like it enough to rush an upgrade on my DVD) and a Sammo Hung set.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Drunken Master is good for the start of the Jackie Chan style of movie. But he didn't direct that, and it's still more kung-fu than stunts, and the comedy is a little too slapstick at times. I did appreciate it more (along with many other martial arts flicks) when I started learning kung-fu. (Before you ask, I was very bad at it, but enjoyed it nonetheless).

But Project A and its sequel are just great movies even if you don't care for kung-fu. The fight scenes emphasize the stuntwork way more than the martial arts on display (I.E., you don't just see an amazing kick, you see the recipient go out a window and land two stories down on a hard dirt surface). The scene in Maggie Cheung's apartment where multiple plot lines all intersect is sheer brilliance.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Also a huge fan of that one, caught a screening of it at a martial arts film fest at a local theatre last year. Speaking of which, here's a DVDBeaver review for 8 Pole Diagram Fighter: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film8/blu-ray_review_109/8_diagram_pole_fighter_blu-ray.htm

Steel76 likes this.
  10. russweiss

11. russweiss

My order arrived today along with 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. I'm looking forward to watching both of these again in HD. The email I received said they shipped the package on 4/28 (also the day they charged my CC) and would be due on 5/4. It only took two days coming from England. That's the fastest service I've ever received.

Steel76 likes this.