www.Reel.com Scariest movie ever: Don't Look Now?

Discussion in 'General' started by gusse, Jun 8, 2001.

1. gusse

gusse New Member

Has anyone looked at www.reel.com's list of the "top 100 scarie movies of all time"? They picked 'Don't look now' as their #1 and I have actually never seen it... Can anyone who have seen it tell me if it's as good as they claim it to be?

And while you are at it you are welcome to comment on the rest of the list to :rolleyes:

Here's the url: http://www.reel.com/reel.asp?node=categories/horror/topscary

/gusse

2. Oliver

Oliver Guest

That's a pretty refreshing list compared to the usual ones that place THE EXORCIST (possibly the least scary horror film ever made) and PSYCHO (way overrated) at the top. Still I'm dismayed that both of them are once again prominently situated. Also, I know this may be a somewhat controversial statement, but who the hell finds ROSEMARY'S BABY (#2) and SUSPIRIA (#3) scary?

It's good to see some somewhat lesser-known pictures being included, such as BLACK CHRISTMAS, THE HILLS HAVE EYES, THE HITCHER, and THE TENANT (not really scary, but intriguing). I would put TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (#11) and THE SHINING (#20) in the top ten, as well as WHEN A STRANGER CALLS (what's it doing at #34?). Other than those complaints, it's a pretty good list. For simple shock value, HALLOWEEN is by far the scariest horror movie ever made, in my opinion, though not necessarily the best.

As for DON'T LOOK NOW: It's a sensational film, but, aside from the shocking climax, it isn't very scary in the modern sense of making you jump out of your seat. It will disappoint those looking for constant thrills. Its great effectiveness exists primarily on a psychological level. I would also put it on my top-ten horror list, but closer to the bottom.

3. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

EXORCIST 2: THE HERETIC on a top 100 Horror list! :eek:

Pass the crack pipe.

4. NickyDoyle

NickyDoyle Guest

Well, every person has his or her own opinions (I for one think Tenebre is better than Suspiria). Some choices were definitly pleasent surprises, including Andy Warhol's Frankenstein, the Hills Have Eyes (a wonderful suprise it was that high too), The Crazies (very, VERY underrated), and Cemetery Man. I think Dawn of the Dead is a little too low at #30; I would change that with the Blair Witch Project, and Re-Animator switch with the Serpent and the Rainbow. All in all though, it's a nice list that doesn't just go for the "classics". Beside's, what other list would have Fulci's City of the Living Dead over The Silence of the Lambs ;)

5. Mark Relford

Of course.

It's cool to see films like Martin, The Believers, It's Alive, Private Parts, Wolfen, etc. included on that list.

6. nimereht

nimereht Guest

I HATEd DON'T LOOK NOW!!! that film was so built up for me...everyone was like, 'ya gotta see this movie, blah blah'...so maybe i expected a little too much. i thought it was boring as hell. the ending was kinda shocking and effective,but it took forever to get there...to me, the scariest part of the whole movie was that horrid sex scene...i really had no desire to see donald sutherland's member...

7. y2doublet

y2doublet Toxic Crusader

A really good and intriguing list which got me interested in a bunch of titles I haven't seen before. It's always a bore to read those "traditional" Top 100 Horror-lists that you know by heart by now. A very subjective and daring list such as this manages to shine a new light on some of the forgotten cult classics at the same time as it gives recommendations for lesser known movies one might not have seen. Now if you'll excuse me I think I'm going to try and find a copy of that Tourist Trap. ;)

8. gusse

gusse New Member

I have never seen "the Believers" but have seen some positive reviews of it.. Anyone care to comment on this particular movie? Is it any good?

9. Lindane

Lindane Guest

Decent list, but Bride of Chucky? You gotta be kidding me! The first Childs Play was way scarier. I also thought The Thing should have at least been top 20.

10. mysterX

mysterX Guest

How the hell did The Blair Witch made the top 20? Theses critics must be on crack.
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

11. David666

David666 Guest

The film of "Don't Look Now" is on par with the novela on which it is based, but not scary! The shocking ending is almost out of place, as it is also seemingly out of place in the novela. It leaves a virtual Top 10 list of questions to be answered! I found it very unsatisfying. Therefore I don't think it should be number one.

Rosemary's Baby was shocking for its time (and I'll repeat that sentiment again for many films), but it has lost something over the years simply because of its influence on about 100 other films (and the subsequent rip-offs). However, I'd have to put it in the list as well and I think its a most valuable addition to the genre. It was innovative, it was provacative and it's haunting atmosphere alone keeps its head above the surface of pitiful imitations.

Suspiria is justifiably a top 5 contender! I think perhaps one should watch the film late at night in an empty house, thus one can turn up the volume to its intended pitch! Without the volume just so there is a loss of horror here. Soundtracks can make or break a film, Suspiria is highly enhanced by it's ever creepy soundtrack. A unique and perfect choice.

Halloween, like so many others has lost a flood of value over the years. Today it plays like an October TV Special, and yet I do like the film. Even for its time it was mildly violent, but now cartoons are more violent. A masterpiece perhaps, a classic for certain, but in the 'scary' factor I would have to rate this film pretty low.

Alien still holds true to this day, and will for a quite I wile I suspect. Thanks to a great script and a director in the top of his form, Alien will always make the grade. Too bad that original ending wasn't filmsed, i would love to see it.

The Hills Have Eyes is one I have not seen. The sequelI did see, and hated it. Because it was formed out of quite a few flashbacks I assumed the original was just as bad. Sadly, this is a hard to come by film so I'm sure I will have to wait for a DVD release.

The Exorcist, thous I would be tempted to say it has lost something over the years the recent re-release of it in theatres proved to me just how great this film is. There is nothing like seeing this with a group of people huddled in the dark in dynamic surround sound! Ever creaking board, every moan and chuckle was as if whispered in your ear! Theatrically is the only way to truly appreciate this film. I too am tired of seeing it in every top ten list, but guess what? There is a reason it's there!

The Hitcher worked, I agree with it's inclusion here.

The Evil Dead scared the hell out of me. I would put it in my top ten for certain, sadly I have seen people yawn and laugh at how "bad" they say it is so I would, if compiling a professional list, put it lower. Perhaps it's my complete fear of zombies that got me here? Even still, this is in no way in the same league as The Exorcist or even Halloween for that matter.

The Tenant, offbeat but not scary and shouldn't be here.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is as scary as hell, and not particularly as graphicly violent as many make it out to be. Should be higher on the list.

Friday the 13th, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Night of the Living Dead... though classics, should not be so highly regarded.

I have not seen Black Christmas.

Today, Psycho is dull. In it's time it was quite the fanfare. By no means should it be on a modern fright list.

Onibaba, I have not seen.

Blair Witch is controvercial ONLY in that some people could not put themselves into the (fake) reality of the film. If you are unable to do that, you will not be frightened. A must for any true horror list!

Serpent and The Rainbow is one of my favorite films, however should be a tad lower on the scare meter.

The Shining is a masterpiece that will never be outdone! Should be higher!

A Nightmare on Elm Street and Hellraiser are classics of modern horror, nearly by anyones standards. Should be exactly where they are.

Poltergeist worked, perhaps a little too funny, but it was a jolting film. Nice spot for it.

Dead Ringers is an interesting choice. Loved it, but I'm not certain where I'd put it on any list. Certainly a masterpiece.

Have not seen Black Sunday.

Angel Heart is phenominal. Top 10 for sure!

Videodrome is a perfect choice, a truely unique and bizarre film. I loved it!

Have not seen Eyes Without a Face.

Abominable Dr. Phibes was interesting, surely not scary. Surreal and odd, I liked it but not one of my all time faves.

Dawn of the Dead should be mush higher on the list, as someone pointed out earlier. Masterpiece!

Haven't seen Private Parts.

Ghost Story is so very under-rated, I am happy to see it here.

Dressed to Kill was Di Palma's answer to Argento and the entire giallo cinema. perhaps out of place here.

When A Stranger Calls should be lower, but I do not disagree of it's place on a top 100.

Anguish is a mixed bag. I would not put it here.

The Entity is a little too hokey to be among some of the other films here.

The Believers was a Hollywodized horror film... kind of like Spielberg does Serpent and the Rainbow. Should be lower.

Candyman was a brilliant film! So very welcome here and a contender for top 10 for certain.

The Wicker Man is one of my all time faves, but hardly horror. A masterpiece, though I'm at a loss for exactly what genre this film would go into. As a Pagan myself the finale was most enjoyable! LOL

I have not seen Repulsion.

Evil Dead 2 is out of place.

Have not seen Kiss of the Vampire.

Near Dark is wonderful. A hell of a little horror ride and so worthy of a higher position.

Phantasm is in need of a higher position as well. One of my very favorite films.

Gates of Hell and Horror Hotel are too highly charted.

The Haunting is so very wrongfuly placed. it is top 10 material for sure!

I loved Scream, but think it's in the right place.

Tombs of the Blind Dead, though entertaining should not be here.

The Brood is a masterpiece. Long live Cronenberg!!!

Perhaps The Silence of the Lams and Creepshow are exactly where they need to be located on this list, however I am not all that fond of Creepshow. Personally I'd rate it lower.

And I would not put Carnival of Souls on the list at all. An interesting piece of nostalgia, but nothing more.

Tourist Trap scared the hell out of me as a kid. I wonder if it has held up well.

i wouldn't put Jaws on here either.

In the Mouth Of Madness is a masterpiece, one of Carpenters all time best.

I Spit On Your Grave shouldn't be here either.

Cronenberg's The Fly is in need of a higher position.

Tenebre, Wolfen and Maniac are questionable. Arguments could be made for or against them. I would lean against their inclusion here.

American Werewolf in no way should be higher tehn The Howling. Not ever. That's an agruement waiting to happen, but I think it's very clear which one is scarier. The Howling is the ultimate werewolf film. No one has yet to outdo it.

Henry is a grat film. A definate!

Fright Night was great, perhaps a little higher... but certainly below The Howling.

Cemetary man is out of place.

The Omen, Basket case and Carrie should be higher. There is little doubt in my mind just how fantastic these films are.

I found Martin to be dull.

Re-Animator is an ify choice. A classic by all means, but there are quite a few other films I can think of that were not on this list that should have been instead of this one.

They hit the nail on the head by calling It's Alive demented. it is in a good spot.

Dead Alive and Blood Feast should not be here. An opinion people! That's all it is. Don't get bent out of shape.

Eraserhead is a nightmare come alive! YES! it NEEDS to be here, perhaps a little higher.

The Company of Wolves was a masterpiece and should be higher, though it could be said that this is a fantasy and not a horror film per say. Either way, I call it perfection. A brilliant film, and a nice choice.

Freaks has power even today.

Bride of Chucky was FUN, FUN, FUN. Perhaps something else deserves its position here however.

The Crazies and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari shouldn't be here.

Daughters of Darkness and Flesh For Frankenstein are both very unique and interesting films, but I can think of others that would be more appropriate on a "SCARY" film list.

Masque of the Red Death, Trilogy of Terror, Bride of Frankenstein and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane are not scary at all and should not be here.

The Thing should be higher on the list.

Frankenstein, Mad Love and Curse of the Demon are out of place as well.

Shivers is good, but Crash or eXistenZ should be in it's place.

Dead of Night is a classic, and one that does hold up well no matter how many rip-offs there have been.

Paperhouse is a great film. Should be slightly higher perhaps.

The Legend of Hell House was great as well. I would place in on my top list for certain as well.

As far as the remainder of the list, they are hardly worth mentioning so I won't. They should be removed and replaced by any number of better films... Pet Semetary, Monkey Shines, Lord of Illusions, Dark Half, Day of the Dead... etc.

An interesting list. I'll have to find many of those which I have not seen and check them out. Sorry my post was so long but I kinda got caught up in the moment. LOL

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well, aside from David's exhaustive analysis, I rather enjoyed the list. Yes, there's movies on there that probably shouldn't be, and some omissions as well. But in the end who cares?

Here's a few things I ask: Has anyone seen all 100 films? If you haven't seen them all, then it provides a few suggestions to see some movies you may not have thought of. That can't be a bad thing.

Also, how many of those movies does everyone own on LD/DVD? (c'mon, no VHS here, that doesn't count). I'll check again, but I think I have a total of 37 (no Clerks comments please)

13. Mark Relford

I have a total of 48.

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Damn I figured I'd have more but I only have 33 dvds of the movies in that list.

15. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Damn I figured I'd have more but I only have 33 dvds of the movies in that list. I've never heard of a few of the movies in their list.

16. David666

David666 Guest

Wow, I have by far the least number at only 19 of the 100. I do believe however that quite a few of the titles are not yet available on DVD.

17. Doombear

Doombear Member

Don't Look Now was supposed to be coming out on DVD this month from Paramount, but it has been apparently delayed. Does anybody know when it will be released? Possibly in September with the other horror titles?

18. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I am so sick of that piece of shit Blair Witch Project being on top horror lists. It will be remembered for marketing genius, nothing more. I could never watch it again. I was furious enough about being fooled by all the internet hype and idiots putting praise on such garbage.

19. Andrew

Andrew Guest

BLAIR WITCH is definitely a love it or hate it film. I loved it, most hated it. I don't care, call me an idiot :D.

This list literally is what got me started with horror. Back when I bought VHS's from Reel.com and got into horror, I'd read their list over and over till I memorized most of the movies. Half of them I've seen, but most are still obscure to me. Damn I miss Reel back in the old days. Then Buy.com bought 'em out, which was cool, but they just lost their coolness. :(

Anyway, I was just about to post as to why DON'T LOOK NOW and THE TENANT aren't coming soon anymore, as both of them have been high up on my "must see list" ever since I read that thing in 6th grade :D.

Oh yeah, I own 41 of those, and have seen 54. Granted, most are on VHS, but still :rolleyes:.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2002
  20. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT is a horror classic in my opinion, and nobody will ever get me to think otherwise. It has EVERY right to be on anyone's horror list.

DON'T LOOK NOW is an excellent film that I can't wait to see again. It sucks that the Paramount DVD got delayed, because waiting is a pain in the ass.