Writer & director Larry Cohen has died

Discussion in 'General' started by satans-sadists, Mar 24, 2019.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/larry-cohen-dead-dies-horror-filmmaker-1202053177/

Larry Cohen, a revered figure in the horror genre best known for directing such films as “It’s Alive,” “Gold Told Me To,” and “The Stuff,” has died at 77. The filmmaker began his decades-spanning career by writing for television in the 1960s, penning more than 100 episodes of crime and detective series like “The Fugitive” and “The Defenders” before helming his first feature, “Bone,” in 1972.

He jumped between horror, science fiction, and even blaxploitation over the next 30 years and 20 features before stepping behind the camera for the final time with, fittingly enough, an episode of “Masters of Horror.”

Cohen continued as a screenwriter after helming his last feature, 1996’s “Original Gangstas,” including “Phone Booth,” “Cellular,” and “Captivity.” He also wrote the script for 1988’s cult classic “Maniac Cop” and two of its sequels as well as episodes of “Columbo” and “NYPD Blue,” among many others.

Speaking to IndieWire in 2017, Cohen — who despite his profession, wasn’t given to watching horror movies because he “wasn’t into torture and amputations and driving spikes into people’s eyes and stuff like that” — offered his insights on the current state of the film industry with characteristic thoughtfulness: “What’s happened to the movie business is like a poker game. The stakes are so high that most people can’t afford to sit down at the table,” he said.

“So you make a movie, but how are you going to exhibit the movie and get people to see it when a full page ad in the paper costs $40,000 for one day and these big movies are taking double pages and TV spots every five minutes? If you don’t compete with that, you’re just snowed under.”

Born July 15, 1941 in New York, he set many of his projects in his hometown and was honored there during a retrospective at the Quad Cinema in 2017 and two years earlier in Los Angeles courtesy of the American Cinematheque and Cinefamily. A documentary about his life and work, “King Cohen: The Wild World of Filmmaker Larry Cohen,” is available to stream on Shudder.

“You know, it wasn’t just going to a studio like a factory laborer and making pictures and going home every night,” Cohen told The Ringer last year while reflecting on his career. “We were out there in the jungle making these movies, improvising, and having fun, and creating movies from out of thin air without much money. … You’ve gotta make the picture your way and no other way. Because it can’t be made otherwise.”

[​IMG]

dayglo and Katatonia like this.
  2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Fuck me. What a talent.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Awwwww man!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(

I just watched the documentary Blu-ray about him a few months ago.

I never watched a film of his that disappointed. Some were better than others of course... but they were always entertaining.

sade and satans-sadists like this.
  4. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

RIP

The Stuff has been a favorite of mine since I first saw it on VHS.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

A truly creative guy who could overcome thin budgets with great ideas. He knew how to cast a movie too, had some great actors in his ensembles. In a pinch I might go with Q as my favorite of his pics. It takes a special sort of guy to come up with something like that .Did the Oscar winning GREEN BOOK combine the pathos of a two-bit thief, a diamond heist, political corruption and a giant flying lizard /Aztec god eating topless sunbathers and window washers in New York City ? I think not ! You're move Academy .

Rest In Peace .

satans-sadists, russweiss and Ptflea2 like this.
  6. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

RIP, I was planning on revisiting Q wing serpent, I will definitely do so now in your honour.

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

RIP to a great filmmaker who always worked with low budgets but whose films were rich in ideas.

satans-sadists likes this.
  8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

RIP to a true independent cinema legend and auteur. Larry Cohen was an absolute maverick in the business with an undeniable drive and energy, and his movies - despite their low budgets - were always chock full of that same energy. Having only watched the doc on Larry last month, I never realized exactly how prolific Larry was, especially his early television roots. Had the pleasure of meeting him back in 2014 at Cinema Wasteland. King Cohen will be missed.

[​IMG]

fattyjoe37 and satans-sadists like this.
  9. cjg

cjg Active Member

RIP

10. unclefred

unclefred Member