Wizard Video Collection

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Feb 7, 2013.

1. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I can definitely see why people would pay more for VHS big boxes in great condition, but I think well worn/sun faded copies add to the charm of collecting the tapes. Not that I collect them, but when I think of the era, I recall moderately beaten up covers and worn tapes. That brings back memories for me. I don't care how people spend their dough, but buying VHS when titles are on DVD cheaper and great art scans are available online is absurd to me.

I never got into the rarity and collector bullshit in movies or video games, though. I guess it gets some people off that a handful of others would be jealous of their Zombie Wizard VHS that gives them no pleasure their DVD couldn't surpass. Different strokes for different folks, but we all know most people bidding huge bucks on Ebay for dumb shit they have really no personal ties to is just some goof showing off how big his nerd cock is compared to others'.

I will freely admit I buy way more than my share of dumb shit, too. Pot's just callin' the kettle black. In my case, the stuff I have isn't bought for rarity but for either quality, my interest in the subject matter, or uniqueness. I just don't see anything gratifying about blowing $1800 to look at boxes in person I can see images of for free online. Let's be honest, unfortunately no one is paying those bucks for the films themselves. And if that's the case, what's the point in owning the box art?

2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I got a big box copy of Zombie at a flea market about 3 years ago. The box itself was in good to very good condition and the tape itself was almost like it had never been played before. Damage to my wallet? One whole buck!

I certainly wouldn't pay $50 for just a cover, but who knows? If I had a cut up rental box but a mint video tape the cost just might be worth it if it meant the difference between fetching $100 and $200 on ebay. But just the existence of these new editions is going to devalue the collectors market on them anyways.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Yeah, it is tempting, I will admit that...one stop shopping for any Wizard title you want. Its convenience alone is almost worth half of that price tag. I can see why some people would bite. But I meyslef cannot justify it.

We can only hope this "finding" takes some of those "impatient" VHS collectors off of Ebay and drives those egregious dollar amounts of some of those ending bids straight to the ground.

4. Chomp

Sorry Dobbs, I'm a grower not a shower.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They found this in their warehouse... the same day the shipment of newly printed up VHS cases arrived. It's possible they still had a pallet sitting around of unused boxes for 20 years but very doubtful; especially when they keep finding these things over and over during the next ten or so years.

I love these guys but they do stretch the truth here and there. It's almost like people let it slide because we all know it's BS. That said I'll probably buy Zombie and Filmgore. I got suckered into their gift cards so I gotta buy something. Fortunately they gave such good deals with these gift cards I'm probably paying more like $12.50 for these tapes then $50.

6. Chomp

Oh yeah...I wonder if these will be eligable during Full Moon's various website sales? The Valentine's Day sale is usually half off + free shipping right?

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I wonder how many of these they actually still have the rights for... I bet a few of these they are putting out they don't even have them. I SPIT I know specifically they don't...

8. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Actually, a couple of these I have the original VHS without the box, so, you know what? I'm down.

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

We've learned from Shout Factory that sometimes rights are by format. Its possible they have VHS rights.

I do feel a bit like a tool for getting suckered into this, but its nice I'm not totally alone.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  10. MorallySound

None. Do I need to tell you a third time?

My friend has been in contact with Meir Zarchi for a few years, having set up numerous theatrical screenings for the I Spit on Your Grave here in Canada. This is an email exchange he sent me after emailing Meir about the Wizard Video Collection news:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

a "second installment" of I Spit on Your Grave? oh dear...

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Usually, so far no mention of free shipping this year. I don't think the VHS's will be available half off; at least this year. I actually got a Mephisto replica during last year's sale and it didn't arrive until that Halloween! It was still good though so I'm thinking about getting the SS chick this year. The description says she doesn't come with the SS hat though which really sells the outfit.

13. Chomp

Interesting take from Paul @ VHSCollector (formerly SlasherIndex)

Charles Band surprises the collecting world with an announcement regarding the re-releases of the collectible Wizard Video library of big boxes! On the site WizardVideoCollection.com, Charles Band, in a video, gives his history with video distribution going as far back as the Meda Home Entertainment days in 1978! The history is pretty interesting to hear from the guy himself, but didn’t really give us any additional insight that we didn’t already know. But probably more interesting is the fact that, according to him, found tons of unused Wizard Video big box covers in boxes in a warehouse. Being the entrepreneur that Band is, he is reissuing these videos personally signed and numbered by him.

The video collecting community hasn’t seen anything of this scale before but I noticed a few things that got me wondering…

1) Where are all the other non-horror/exploitation/sleaze titles? If you look the list of films, they’re mostly horror/exploitation films. So did he only coincidentally find these sorts of genre film covers in his warehouse? Or is he only releases these sorts of genre films on VHS? Surely if he did have the non-horror/sleaze type films (Master Killers, Snake Hunter Strangler, Blood Brothers, etc) he’d release them since ALL Wizard titles are collectible, right? Or maybe he just made the whole thing up and had these things printed? This brings me to another concern.

2) I looked at the close up images of the big-box release of “Headless Eyes” and noticed that the cardboard used in that title is identical to the others he’s currently releasing. Any Wizard collector knows that Breeders, Dreamaniac, and Headless Eyes were originally made with a different cardboard stock than the others. They were cheap, “cereal box” type cardboard that would easily get banged up and damaged. Why are the ones Band is currently offering look much different if they’re truly originals found in a warehouse? I’m not really interested in purchasing these, but just to make the comparison, I will buy the Headless Eyes and Dreamaniac videos once they're available. The cardboard stock throughout Wizard’s history changed several times so if there is indeed something funny going on, we will know. Of course, I hope this is not the case. We will see!

3) Does Band even have the rights to re-distribute some of these films? Films like Fulci's Zombie and I Spit on Your Grave are popular films which have since been released by major distributors on DVD and Blu-Ray multiple times. I highly doubt that Band has any licensing rights for these films because if he had, he'd be milking them for all they're worth on his own DVD label. These are just the facts. Band has had a reputation in the past for illegally releasing films, such as the re-called Full Moon Puppet Master DVD box set many years ago.

14. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I know I'm the only person that feels this way, but I don't really care if these are reprints. I just want a pristine box with amazing artwork on my shelf.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I want ZOMBIE and, although I hated the horrific pan and scan job, the picture quality gives the film a really nasty, creepy edge. The effects look better to me. The added resolution of DVD and Blu have ruined many of the effects by making them really obvious.

16. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

It's funny you say that; I had the Anchor Bay widescreen VHS for years until i go the Shriek Show DVD and the higher resolution changed the movie somewhat for me as well. The zombies tended to look rotten and dry instead of murky and wet from being undergroud. It's a minor detail, but after years of watching that tape, it was like entirely new monsters compared to what I'd interpreted images from the movie before I ever watched it and the tape I rewatched for years.

17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    For me, it's just you notice the make up appliances more. Same with Evil Dead.
    I think I'll splurge on Zombie and I Spit on Your Grave.

18. MorallySound

So supporting inflatedly priced bootlegging, specifically with those titles which Band sure as shit doesn't have the rights to anymore (at least in the case of I SPIT).

19. Cannibal Chris

Cannibal Chris New Member

I'll likely buy Zombie, but I'll hold off until some reviews/comparisons come in after the first few waves. That is assuming the third and fourth waves get released. At the price point for that particular tape it's nice, but the legitimacy of everything really comes into play here...Is Band reallllly that lucky? We all know that guy has never took advantage of a situation like this right? :D

Am I supporting bootlegging and inflated prices? Honestly, considering I've bought a handful of foreign releases/hardboxes, I guess it wouldn't be the first time. I've got a super nice German edition of Cannibal Holocaust that suspiciously owes a lot to Grindhouse's US release. I just want the box, I used to rent that as a kid so there's certainly a nostalgia factor. Find me a r copy of the Wizard Zombie release that nice for that cheap and I'll fork over the money right now. As far as Band goes, I'm guessing this money will fund Puppet Master 15 or whatever sequel they're on, again, that's assuming he doesn't get sued because there's definitely some legality of these releases in question here.

I'm not some avid VHS junkie either, I've bought a handful of releases that I rented a child, some tapes that aren't available on dvd, and I buy a few of those limited releases along with the occasional Uneasy Archive tape.

For the record though, I don't trust Band as far as I can throw him and I wish he'd just sale the empty cartons at a cheaper price.

So I guess what I'm saying is there are lots of angles here. I'm not going to scoff at anyone buying every release. As I mentioned there's a good chance I will be purchasing one of the tapes. Will I be upset if this is all a sham and it doesn't take off past the first wave? Nope. I will however sit back and read all of the facebook/forum/twitter posts on the subject because this is a very entertaining topic.

20. Chomp

I think if you look hard enough, you’d find a decent copy of Zombie for a reasonable price. Didn’t maybrick say he found one for a dollar at a flea market? Like I said, the convenience alone is worth half the cost of the price tag, and that Zombie box is a very nice box indeed. Its reaaaaaaaaal tempting to say the least. I might bite on that one myself…that one and Best of Sex and Violence.

I still see no mention of Force Video boxes. If Filmgore or White Slave mysteriously appear on a Wizard box, then we all know these are reprints.