Why the Alamo Drafthouse is the greatest theater in the world.

Discussion in 'General' started by Mikey Horror, Jun 8, 2011.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Jealousy isn't an issue I struggle with, but you sir have just altered that. I would go to that theater at least once a week if it were near me.

I paid $40 for my wife and I to see Suicide Squad. You have to pay extra for IMAX to drown out the noise and 3D (which I do like anyway) to avoid being distracted by the dopes that are there for some reason other than watching the movie.

It's getting so expensive to go to the movies that I believe it's getting like sporting and concert events whereas some patrons spent so much to be there that they are entitled to act however they want.

2. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'm with you man....... and the Alamo's prices aren't ridiculous either. Very reasonable.

It's not as cheap at my local theaters though. Cost me 13 bucks for two tickets to see Don't Breathe 2 weeks ago, and that was a Saturday 7:30pm showing of a new movie. Add a couple of beers and a starbucks for the wife and a $25 movie night isn't anything to complain about.

I wish the ADH was closer to me and I'd see ALL my movies there. It's 90 minutes though, so I have to pick and choose. Usually when it's a special presentation. Vintage Park in Houston (where the one I frequent is located) has a bunch of resturants/bars, shopping, and a super nice, super cheap hotel right next door. It's perfect for the wife and I....get down there early, eat somewhere, check out some shops, hit up the Alamo and drink......and we stay at that hotel so I don't have to drive 90 mins half in the bag. It's amazing.

Going to the theaters has always been a massive part of my life. And always will be. Unfortunately cell phones and the fact human beings attention spans grow smaller and smaller with each passing year...... has diminished the enjoyment of the theater going experience tremendously. Luckily places like the Alamo Draft House exist and they obviously share my thoughts and passion...... so I always try and promote them whenever possible. I signed up for their email "membership" if you will and get offers all the time. "Free movie ticket with the purchase of a $5 food/drink voucher...... shit like that, all the time. Last month they had a promotion.... it was a 20 dollar food deal...... 3 course meal of your choice for 20 bucks and you get a free movie ticket for the next time you come. How fucking badass is that?!

satans-sadists and buck135 like this.
  3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I WANT AN ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE NEAR ME. I will quit my fucking day job if they simply give me the AU-THOR-I-TY to be the enforcement officer. :D. I am very jealous.

buck135 likes this.
  4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

SAME.

The audiences in London are pretty polite about cell phone bullshit, but would still love an enforced policy. And that October lineup Natas posted...wowza.

5. Harry Warden

Yeah..being able to go and see The Exorcist on a large screen..the best.

6. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

That was definitely cool.....it was actually the wife's first time seeing the Exorcist...... we had a great time.

I would have to say my best ADH experience was Friday, Sept 13, 2013. They did Friday the 13th parts 4, 5, and 6 back to back to back. It was like 20 bucks or something like that, got a free replica hockey mask on my way in, they did 3 giveaways after each film which were the newly released at the time F13 Blu Ray box set. For an hour prior to part 4, they showed old horror movie trailers, Halloween commercials from the 60s-70s-80s...... had a massive axe wielding Jason stalking up and down the aisles...... I drove 90 mins by myself, rang up about an 80 dollar tab with food and beer, went out to the parking lot during each intermission to get my mind right :D:D:D...... literally the greatest theater going experience of my life.

7. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

That sounds awesome, getting to see the "Tommy Jarvis trilogy" on the big screen. I was lucky enough to see Part 3 in 3-D years ago at the Times Cinema in Milwaukee. I know this particular installment has its detractors but it remains my favorite F13 experience, the gags really worked in a theatrical setting and the audience ate it up. If Paramount ever released a proper version of this movie (not that red-and-cyan bullshit) I would seriously consider upgrading to a 3-D television, the movie is so much fun.

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

It was badass, man...... in 35mm too.

I'm also a big fan of part 3. One of my favorites.

9. Harry Warden

I saw the Exorcist on the large screen in 1997 when they re-released it nationwide promoting "the version you never saw" with items inserted that Blatty recommended.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Arizona is finally getting an Alamo Drafthouse this fall. Won't be a long drive either. :D Even better, there are plans for several more Alamo Drafthouses in the Phoenix area. Wish it was going to be in time for Halloween. Last I heard it was looking like a November opening for the first theatre.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I did as well. Thanks for reminding me that it was almost 20 years ago. As if I didn't already feel old as it is.

12. Harry Warden

It will be okay there old Buck..LOL.

buck135 likes this.
  13. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

At the Dallas area Drafthouse's, they have a "Terror Tuesday" showing every week and very fittingly are playing My Bloody Valentine this week. I'm very much looking forward to seeing on the big screen. I recently watched the remake and it's definitely one of my favorite slashers from that time. I haven't seen the original in years. Should be a treat.

Erick H. and othervoice1 like this.