When will Jaws be chomping its way to Blu-ray anyone know?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Jan 1, 2009.

1. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

None of the Best Buys near me have them. :(

2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

My store was clear of them Sunday, we'll see what happens tomorrow when I go to look at that Terminator set. They did have tons of the standard BD on the "old" rack, nothing up front anymore.

Ebay prices look to have come back to reality, $30-40 + shipping. Thankfully I don't care, I'm either gonna gift my extra, return it, or sell it for what I paid here. Still TBD.

3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Is anyone else pissed off about the 7.1 soundtrack? It really enrages me that they made a point to say they were retrieving the original sound effects in the promo video that came out a couple months ago. The climactic scenes sound nothing like the original mono track. I really find it hard to believe this sort of thing could pass a quality control inspection--especially after all the flak they took for the prior messed up 5.1 mixes.

Very disappointing. This release is like the Blu-ray release of Carpenter's Halloween. It's an improvement in a lot of ways. But the screwed up color timing really distracts me. The surround track for Jaws is equally jarring.

I appreciate the fact that that they included the original mono track. But unfortunately it isn't nearly as immersive as the good parts of the 7.1 track. That makes this less than the definitive release that I was hoping for.

Am I the only anal-retentive bastard bothered by this? It seems pretty lazy and stupid to undertake an all-out restoration and miss this badly with the default audio track. No?

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but i watched the youtube video, and i agree that its a terrible botching of the original audio. if it hasn't been fixed, then yeah, i'm pissed about it too. when i get around to watching it, i think i'll opt for the original mono...

5. Stige

Stige Active Member

just opened the steelbook, going to watch tonight.....

Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of ridiculous for the other BLU RAY in the box to be for a digital copy`? wouldn't it have made more sense to max out the first blu with the movie only and had bonus features and the copy thing( which I can't believe ANYONE ever uses)on the other bluray?

6. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'm assuming that the Jaws digi-book blu ray is completely sold out as there is no longer a listing for it on Best Buy's website.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yeah, I haven't seen one in stores for at least 3 weeks now, so I think it's safe to say they are gone. Ebay is flooded with em, from $24.00 to $40.00 when I just looked. How much did that Japan steelbook go for at retail? That fucker is getting $100+ easy-like. People sure love steelbooks!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Just pulled out my anniversary edition dvd and to my surprise it froze in quite a few places.
    Great time to get the Blu-Ray book edition which I always wanted anyway so just finally put in my order.
    Can't wait to see that documentary.

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I just bought this on blu the other day...does the digibook have more features than the "regular" blu?

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

No, it's the exact same disc content.

11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

finally watching my BD (and yeah, it looks pretty fantastic), and i just noticed something - when Quint and Hooper are swapping scar stories, after they both say they'll "drink to your leg!", Brody does this little thing where he lifts up the right side of his shirt, then frowns and puts it back down again, and i realized, for the first time, that he's looking at a scar from an appendectomy! :lol: finally got the joke.

makes me wonder how long its actually been since i've watched the movie. i had my appendix out in 2010, so its obviously been more than three years...

12. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

apropos of nothing:

[​IMG]

13. Spacetraveler

Spacetraveler Member

Oh, when I saw this thread bumped I was hoping they finally announced Jaws 2-4 on blu ray. Sigh, maybe in 2015 for the film's 40th anniversary...

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

^ Haha same. :(

~Matt

15. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

iam the only one who seemed to think the transfer for jaws looked too dark...

16. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

You may want to check your tv video settings.

17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

In terms of video this is an excellent release. Lots of faithful Blu-ray transfers are going to look darker than their DVD counterparts. Contrast boosting was rampant in the DVD era.

Have you done a good calibration of your TV? For about $30 you can get a Spears & Munsil calibration disc from Amazon. It contains a ton of test patterns that will help you ensure that you're seeing what's actually on the disc.

This is just a thought. Have you turned off all dynamic contrast features on your TV? They're typically enabled by default--and they wreak havoc on brightness levels.

18. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I just thought you could see chrissies pussy hair better in other versions..

19. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I think it was mentioned in a bonus feature that she shaved for this release since it was hi-def...

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Spielberg confirmed this.

~Matt