When will Jaws be chomping its way to Blu-ray anyone know?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Jan 1, 2009.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Since summer is here, I think I'm going to marathon the Jaws movies over the next four nights.

On the blu-ray for the first film, it looks like there are two feature length documentaries: "The Shark Is Still Working" (1 hr 41 min) and "The Making Of Jaws" (2 hr 3 min).

I'm thinking about giving one or the other a spin after Jaws tonight. Any recommendations as to which is the better doc?

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

"The Making of Jaws" is a great doc about the making of the film produced for the film's Laserdisc release in the mid-90s and features interviews with all of the major players. "The Shark is Still Working" was made by fans about 15 years later. That one features famous fans such as Kevin Smith talking about how much they love the film as well as some of the people seen in "The Making of Jaws" repeating their stories. I'd recommend "The Making of" personally.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Myron Breck and CPT HOOK like this.
  3. CPT HOOK

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm definitely not interested in docs revolving around fans or other filmmakers (His Name Was Jason), but I'm reading "Shark" has more about the filming locations and the various locals who wound up in the movie, which I always find interesting.

Maybe I'll go with the shorter one tonight ("Shark") and watch the longer one ("Making Of") after Jaws 3 or 4 later this week, as both of those blu-rays are barebones and the movies have a much shorter running time.

4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

The making of is great. I love all the locations of Jaws.......Im partial though as I grew up about 30 mins from most of these locations. I brought my wife to Martha's Vineyard last October and pointed out a few spots from the movie. It's really one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

I love it when I ask for advice and don't take it. fattyjoe was pretty much right on the money with "The Shark Is Still Working". It was way too bogged down in fan stuff for my liking. Sorry, but I don't care what pedophile Bryan Singer or the drummer from Anthrax think about Jaws.

There was some decent stuff in there that made it worth a look though. Such as the creation of the famous poster (which was literally lifted from the book), all the stuff about the island and the locals who found themselves in the movie, etc. Also interesting what happened to the Orca boats from the movie. How annoying that fans completely stripped one of them, this is why we can't have nice things! I love that Alex Kintner's mom was asked to slap fans so frequently, she had to retire from it.

They even referenced "The Making Of Jaws" documentary, and when they showed a clip from it (including footage of Mike being attacked by the shark in the pond, which didn't make it into the movie), I was like "ooooh, that's the stuff I want to see!". Planning to go back to that doc either tonight after Jaws 3 or tomorrow after Jaws: The Revenge.

Natas likes this.
  6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    JAWS THE REVENGE is back on Netflix along with it's '87 theatrical ending intact (no more exploding Bruce!). Good Times!