What We Do in the Shadows (2014)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

New vampire horror/comedy, looks pretty great.

Trailer

"Ghost cup!" :lol:

release: Official site says it's available for digital streaming now.

[​IMG]

2. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Ok, that does look very amusing.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Caught up to this today and wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. This is a fun film that plays with all the vampire cliches but doesn't disrespect the genre. The best horror comedy I've seen in a while.

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

They had a one-night screening of this here last month. It was cute I guess, a couple of chuckles scattered throughout. But it was mostly plotless and the joke kind of wears itself thin after about 20 minutes. It's not bad for a one-time watch, but it's not something I'd ever watch again, and it's definitely not as good as the critics are saying.

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I haven't heard anything about this film but the poster kind of makes it look likes it's about gay vampires.

6. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I personally love this movie and can't wait to buy it when the blu-ray comes out. I downloaded it late last year and laughed my ass off. Saw it in the theater a couple of months ago and laughed my ass off again. It's one of the funniest movies I've seen in years. I guess it is pretty much plotless like CPTHOOK said, but it's a lot like any of the Christopher Guest movies, not much plot in those movies either, but still very entertaining.

I really enjoyed all 4 of the main characters, but 8,000 year-old Petyr (played by the Keanu Reeves looking vampire dude from 30 Days of Night) stole the show for me. Wish he had more scenes.

7. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Way better than Housebound

8. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

WAAAAAAY BETTER!

I'll be buying the BD!

9. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Really clever and outright funny film, although I thought it was maybe 20-30 minutes too long. The performances were all consistent and particular to the respective characters, and the relationships sold so many of the jokes. It was refreshing to watch a comedy that made its own jokes as opposed to recycling pop culture references or catch phrases.

"Werewolves not swearwolves," though, had me laughing the hardest.

10. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

With the slew of horror comedies coming out this year I think this might end up being my favorite one of the bunch. I loved how much attention to detail there was with the vampire lore and the number of hysterical jokes were abundant and had me laughing through out the run time. I defiantly plan on purchasing this on blu-ray at some point because I see this one becoming a mandatory Halloween season viewing from here out. Highly recommended.

11. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I rented this from Redbox last month. It also reminded my GF and I of a Christopher Guest mockumentary. Consistently amusing throughout, with a few LOL moments. The stuff with the werewolves is a highlight.

Anyone interested in this should also check out the Key & Peele sketch "Sexy Vampires."

12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Watched my blu-ray today with the wife. I didn't know what the film was about other than vampires. It was an interesting take and some of the jokes and gags worked well but a lot of them fell flat. Still it gets a thumbs up for trying a different formula.

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I was mostly disappointed with this as all the laughs were pretty much in the trailer. The trailer also pretty much gives away all the plot so I'm better off spending the 2-3 minutes of watching that than having to sit through the whole film ever again.

14. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Meh, didn't find it too amusing. Was I supposed to be wearing skinny jeans and a hipster mustache to enjoy this? Admittedly, I am not a fan of Flight of the Concords. Just don't find those guys funny. Glad some of you liked it. I really tried on this one.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I agree, that type of humor got old real quick. And like I said before, most of the really funny stuff was in the trailer. I enjoyed the trailer more than the film itself.

16. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

I LOVED THIS MOVIE! Sorry I felt I had to shout about it but I laughed my ass off and really liked this one. Very entertaining to me, too bad my roomate didn't like it as much! Oh Well, crazy creeps that made me laugh and made my day!

17. CPT HOOK

Just a reminder that the What We Do In The Shadows TV series premieres tonight at 10PM on FX.

I didn't love WWDITS, but the director's follow-up Hunt For The Wilderpeople is a masterpiece of humor and heart. I can't recommend that movie enough.

18. CPT HOOK

I really enjoyed the premiere. It works so much better in 30 minute doses as opposed to a 90 minute feature that wears out its welcome. It had me laughing out loud, and it was over before I had a chance to get tired of it. Also, FX has lifted the PG-13 restrictions of the movie, so blood, nudity, and f-words are a go. Apparently the show-runners are Lady Bird fans, as I spotted two of the cast here.

Highly recommended, especially if you're a fan of the movie. Anyone else tune in?

19. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

I haven't seen it yet, but will. I loved the movie. I was getting sick and tired of vampire movies and how seriously they take themselves. WWDitS shames all their pretentious rules.