What Under-rated Giallo Do You Love?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Horror Junkie, Jul 19, 2009.

?

Whats Your Favourite Under-Rated Giallo?

1. What Have You Done To Solange?

7 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Strip Nude For Your Killer!

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. Torso

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Short Night of Glass Dolls

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Death Carries A Cane

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Black Belly Of The Tarantula

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. The House With The Screaming Windows

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. The Strange Vice of Mrs. Ward

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. Delerium: Photo's of Gioia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. The Blood Stained Shadow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Death Walks at Midnight

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  12. Death Walks on High Heels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Seven Bloodstained Orchids

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  14. Watch Me When I Kill

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. A Blade In The Dark

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  16. What Have They Done to Your Daughters?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. All The Colors of the Dark

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  18. Autopsy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Schizo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Seven Shawls of Yellow Silk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Whats Your Favourite Under-rated Giallo?

2. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

another one that didn't make this list is Puzzle by Duccio Tessari

3. This is a nce list, but I wish there was an "Other (please specifiy)" option on the list, cause I would have choosen either Argento's Phenomena (aka: Creepers in it's badly censored/cut version), which is mine and it's largely considered a bit too goofy but a lot of my fellow Argento philes, or the Giallo-esque mystery that is Alice, Sweet Alice (aka: Communion under writer/director Alfred Soles prefered title, and also aka: Holy Terror). To be, Alice, Sweet Alice always fitted nicely into the Gialli cannon. As a matter of fact, on the DVD's commentary track, William Lustig, who helped out with some effects and who did the Laserdisc's digital clean up and digital zooms, makes mentnion of asking Alfred if he's seem many Giallo's. The DVD is an audio port of the old Elite Laserdisc, by the way.

Such as it is, I choose Lamberto Bava's Delerium: Photo's of Gioia, cause ever since I bought it as a blind buy years ago at a Best Buy, I've really enjoyed it, and often throw it on once a year. Oddly enough, I got another copy of it in one of the many Shreik Show/Media Blaster sets I've gotten off Amazon from 3rd party sellers. It's in a psycho killers/giallo collection. It has several aspects that I like about it.

4. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

I picked The Strange Vice Of Mrs Wardh. Easily one of my my favourites, although I think generally it's quite highly regarded, so I'm not sure if it really belongs in the 'under-rated' list.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'd go with "other" for Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye

...but of those listed, Short Night of Glass Dolls

6. Dammit I SO badly need to re-watch Short Night of Glass Dolls, which I think is in my old Anchor Bay Giallo (yellowed-covered) collection, if I'm not mistaken. Fuck, I haven't touched that thing in a good, long while.

7. I was trying to compose a list of films that you don't hear people constantly talking about, some of them maybe more popular then others but none of them are as well regarded as Argento's work. Thank you for the compliments on the list and I welcome anyone to post their thoughts, I probably should have thrown in a other (specify) option but i figured theirs at least 1 film on there you had to have a slight love for.

Do it man, I have the same copy of Short Night of Glass Dolls, first time i watched it I really wasn't into it.. found it painfully slow and drawn out. More I remembered it the more I wanted to see it again, and then on the second viewing it really sunk in and cemented itself as a film I really like in the genre.

BTW Am I the only one that noticed that High Tension is compiled of scenes we've all seen before in old giallo's?? Its like almost every scene is a different homage to the Genre, I'll expand if anyone's interested.

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Torso. Followed closely by The Strange Vice...

9. Buio_Omega

Buio_Omega Guest

my vote goes for A Blade In The Dark - just for sentimental reasons.
    Actually I love almost all of the proposed titles, but some of them are not underrated but simply average imho.

Good:
    House With Laughing Windows
    A Blade In The Dark
    Solange
    Mrs. Wardh
    Blood Stained Shadow
    Watch Me When I Kill
    Daughters
    Tarantula
    7 Orchids
    Autopsy
    Glass Dolls

Average (and not underrated at all):
    Strip Nude (you can't take this film seriously!)
    Photos Of Gioia (some stupid ideas and cliches)
    Torso (giving it a hundreds of chances and always didn't like it)
    All The Colors Of The Dark (found it completely boring)

Other still waiting to be watched.

Other solid giallo that I do truly love is "Who Saw Her Die?" with so creepy music and atmosphere.

Love that movie!!! Pretty creepy with giallo-like climax and some perverse seasoning! Not so long ago I found in Amazon the old Hens Tooth release. Great, great film.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  10. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I'm assuming The House with the Screaming Windows is actually The House with the Laughing Windows (I've never seen that aka, nor could I find it online, if it's another movie let me know, I'll keep an eye out for it!). I had a pretty hard time choosing from that list because I've seen most of them and I quite liked most of them! Before I watched The House with the Laughing Windows I wasn't a big fan of this type of movie and had only seen few gialli outside of the ones Argento directed, I liked them but would usually wind up going for something else, now I pick up new gialli (Don't even know if I'm using that right...) whenever I see them.

11. Buio_Omega

Buio_Omega Guest

It's ok! According to Italian grammar, plural of giallo is gialli (not giallos as some people use to write).

12. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Of what's listed I recall enjoying THE BLOODSTAINED SHADOW.One not listed that I like is THE SECRET OF SEAGULL ISLAND ,a British/Italian coproduction that was shot in Greece.There was a theatrical version and a TV miniseries version.

13. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Sorry, can't vote. How do you mean, underrated? The list has many personal favorites.

14. R. I. P.

R. I. P. Member

I enjoy many of these but "What Have You Done To Solange?" wins in a walk for me. I'm completely entranced by the overall atmosphere here plus Morricone's beautifully haunting score is one of his very best. And, the lovely Cristina Galbo is a personal favorite actress of the Giallo genre. It's a shame she didn't contribute her talents to more films over the years. She was also superb in "The House That Screamed", "The Killer Must Kill Again", and "Let Sleeping Corpses Lie".

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Glad to hear, for some reason it just didn't look right to me when I typed it! I do remember Luigi Cozzi telling me how to pronounce the plural but not how to use it in a sentence. :]

16. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

The most underrated giallo isn't listed on the poll:

Footprints on the Moon

17. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Torso is tops for me.

18. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

House With Laughing Windows for Me. I always liked Bell From Hell too, if it's considered in this genre.

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Always loved All the Colors of the Dark, both the movie and the soundtrack. Other favorites here would be Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh and Short Night of Glass Dolls.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I love these ones the most:

What Have You Done To Solange?
    Torso
    Short Night of Glass Dolls
    What Have They Done to Your Daughters?

I think I liked Solange the best as a complete movie, but I really, really love the ending of Torso. I think a great complete movie wins though so Solange gets my vote.