What size TV do you need to appreciate 4K?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by horrorlover, Jul 16, 2016.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Only 3 years? It definitely sucks since they are still making 3D discs as far as I can tell. My Parasite 3D blu ray isn’t that old. I always meant to get some active glasses for my Panasonic plasma but even when it was new (2011) they were expensive and hard to come by. The assholes in charge decided to make 2012 and 2013 models incompatible with my 2011 model! I was holding out hope that that would change but alas it never did.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

THIS. 3D movies are still being released almost every month (until you-know-what anyway...) and region free blu rays have followed. What's James Cameron going to do if/when his avatar flicks get here? If they are as huge as the first one, maybe we'll see renewed interest?

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Are cinemas even doing 3D anymore? I stopped seeing anything in 3D since BvS as it was badly converted and the effects of a lot of those 3D films didn't justify the extra price.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Pretty much all of the Marvel and Star Wars and other "spectacle" type flicks. Those are pretty much the only things I see on the big screen anymore. Yes, BvS was a PoS. Not even the effects were worth seeing.

5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I used to see all of those types in 3D.but got over it. The best 3D films tend to be the ones that have fun with it and actually try to make it feel like things are coming out at you. Those other films just get a bit of added depth from the effect. To me, it wasn't worth watching those type of films in 3D.
    I need to revisit BvS again. I didn't mind the film and definitely thought the extended edition was better. The effects do look pretty sweet on my 4k disc.

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Good to hear about the 4K picture--I'm sure it's better looking in 2D. Perhaps I should give the longer version a spin at some point.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I agree. I remember seeing Toy Story 3 in 3D and forgetting in 5 minutes that it was in 3D. My Bloody Valentine, though, was AWESOME!

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The only 3-D blu-rays I own are Jaws 3-D and Amityville 3-D. Sadly I've never owned a 3DTV. I also have a blu-ray 3-D version of Friday the 13th Part 3 that someone made from the standard blu-ray and one of the DVD releases (they used different L+R prints for each release so it made this version possible). I think for the DVDs they used the right eye and with the blu-ray they just happened to use the left.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Fuck it. I bought a LG OLED65E6P 65" 4K 3D HDR UHD Dolby Vision OLED TV used on Ebay after chatting with the seller for a while. It should be here on Friday. I already received the LG UBKM9 Region Free Smart WiFi UHD 4K UltraHD 3D DolbyVision HDR bluray player I bought from 220 electronics, so know I just have to wait a few more days....

Matt89 likes this.
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Probably a good buy then if you need the 3D. I'd only go with Sony or LG as far as TV's go now. Samsung I want nothing to do with at all...too many bad experiences with that brand.

I'm planning on getting a Sony OLED sometime in the near future, probably the A9G or A8H, or possibly hold off for the A9H next year.

Myron Breck likes this.
  11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Yeah, I've been buying those 2D/3D sets (here and UK) for a long time, assuming I'd get the TV down the road. Then they stopped making them. I just counted 41 titles in my collection. Looking forward to watching PROMETHEUS again and SAW: THE FINAL CHAPTER over the weekend.

Katatonia likes this.