What size TV do you need to appreciate 4K?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by horrorlover, Jul 16, 2016.

1. horrorlover

horrorlover Active Member

I will be moving in January into a bigger house, and I will soon after buy a bigger TV, I only have one 32" TV now and I'll use that for my bedroom, but I'll need a TV for the living room, and I'm thinking of getting a 4K one as that seems to be the future, and I was wondering what size TV would you need to notice any difference between 1080p HD, and be able to appreciate 4K? I will probably at some point get a 4K blu ray disc player so I can get the new 4K movies, but still waiting to see if it here to stay, I think it is, but I am never an early adopter of technology lol, 4K TV I am confident is here to stay though. So I'm wondering would a 55 inch TV be large enough to notice a difference between 1080P and 4K? Or is it not really going to make any difference? If it won't I can just pick up a regular HDTV at Wal Mart for a cheap price. I currently have a Sanyo HDTV, that I got about 8 years ago and it has great picture, is Sanyo a good maker of 4K TV's?

2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

The 4K on my 55 inch Samsung (last years model with 3D) is breathtaking. I thought it couldn't get any better than the 4K YouTube videos and Netflix 4K streaming until I fired up The Revanant UHD. Words cannot describe how gorgeous it looks. Next week I'll have Batman v. Superman, Man of Steel and Watchmen on UHD. I can't wait. I'm not sure about Sanyo. Aren't they under Sony's umbrella?

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

Bigger the 50". Buy the biggest set you can afford.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It also depends on the distance to the TV.
    I sit about 4 meters (13 feet) from my 55 inch OLED, it's only a 1080p screen, but I can't tell the difference in resolution, on that size and distance on a 1080p and 4K.
    If I sit 3 meter from my TV (about 10 feet), then I start to see the pixels, and 4K would make a difference on that size.
    Going to get a 65 inch, when I upgrade to 4K.

Though it's not only about resolution, 4K also bring WAY better colors and contrast, bringing out more shadow details, and none of those nasty bandings in darker shades, etc :)
    Make sure the TV got HDR, otherwise you won't get the improved colors and contrast:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explained

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Absolutely. It's phenomenal.

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Panasonic.

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Interesting. Thanks zbinks.

8. horrorlover

thanks for the replies, I will look for one with HDR, I also was planning to get a 3D one, and I will look for one up to 65 inches, might have to get a 55 inch one if price is too high on 65 inches, but I had planned to get one somewhere around 55 inches, but during the holiday sales I might snag a 65 incher.

9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Actually, You don't get any benefit from HDR unless the source was shot with HDR and then formatted appropriately. Currently there are very few things that fit the bill. The vast majority of movies we watch will look no different on a HDR capable 4K set than it will on a non-HDR capable set. HDR doesn't create colors that aren't already there. If you want that, then just set you TV to vivid mode.

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

3D is the reason I upgraded to 4K now. Samsung isn't making them anymore. I'm elated with my set.

11. horrorlover

buck135 what brand of 4K 3D TV did you get? Also is it passive, that's the kind of 3d that is like at the movies right? where you wear a pair of glasses that don't require batteries and all that right? I want the least complicated kind of 3D, not the kind you have to wear that headset.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I have the Samsung JS8500 55 inch SUHD. The glasses (one pair included) are not passive. They require batteries, however this allows for a better home 3D experience in my opinion. They are light, sturdy and the batteries are very easy to replace. The trade offs that I read regarding the two types are; the movie theater glasses don't provide the best 3D effect, but don't darken the picture (and don't need batteries). The glasses with the batteries do darken the picture, but the 3D effect is better.

My other TV is a Samsung PN51E550D1FXZA 3D plasma. The glasses for that set (which work on the new one) are flimsy and replacing the batteries is a nightmare. This set also has ghosting (like a trail) with 3D at times. This too has been corrected with the new set.

I just watched The Martian in 3D on my new set through HBO On Demand and often said "Wow" out loud because the effect is significantly better. Even the option to watch non-3D content (especially sports) is vastly improved from my plasma.

The glasses on my 4K set are very light and are more comfortable than the glasses provided in theaters imo. I wear regular glasses and both fit on my nose comfortably. The image doesn't get as dark as my plasma either. I honestly have no complaints with the 3D feature on my 4K set at all.

I'm looking forward to Batman v. Superman in 3D and 4K in two days. I also ordered Watchmen and Man of Steel in 4K. I really hope Watchmen exceeds my expectations the way The Revanant did.

13. sinister

sinister Active Member

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Thanks, guys. I'm pretty ignorant about the technical side of things so these threads are quite helpful.

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I got myself a new tv the other day (coming on Monday). It's a 4k 70" Samsung. I can't wait to set it up and check out some 4k content. Heck I can't wait to check out some of my bluray's on it as my old/current tv is a 50" plasma so the bigger size alone should be impressive.

Those who have upgraded to 4k, how do you find it? Did you come from a plasma to this, and how big is your display? I'm curious to hear some opinions :)

Steel76 likes this.
  16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new set. Sounds awesome.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. Steel76

Good choice mate! :)

I haven't upgraded to a 4K screen yet, as I'm waiting to get an OLED at that size later this year, or early next year.
    I got an 55 inch OLED at the moment.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Thank you :) I can't wait to have it setup!
    Thanks man :)

I really wanted a 4k OLED but the prices are still too high at the moment. They had a 55" 4k OLED for a grand or so more than what I paid for my new tv. I assume they'll probably take over the market in the next few years just like 4k did with 1080p sets. The cost has already dropped a lot for OLED here compared to when the units first came out.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I need to replace my Plasma set because there's some kind of stain on one corner of the screen that has spread across and is beginning to overtake the entire set (looks like an ink splotch) so I'm in the the market for a new set. I hate LCD and LED TVs because they make everything look like video but something tells me this LCD vs LED debate is no longer an issue. What is OLED and what are the benefits of that format over 4K? I'm actually not very interested in 4K but might consider getting a 4K set if someone convinces me it's the way to go.

20. Steel76

Zombie Dude and elDomenechHDG like this.