What movie turned you into a horror fan?

Discussion in 'General' started by Upsyndrome, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Wayne Manor

Wayne Manor New Member

In the deathless words of the Jack T. Chick devils, "HAW HAW HAW!"

It was "Attack of the Mushroom People" on Sci-Fi Theatre in Saginaw MI for me. Not so much "horror" as "horrifying".

2. Horrorfan

Horrorfan Member

Dracula (1931) at three years old it mesemerized me.

3. Arkiliknam

Arkiliknam Guest

Evil Dead. I'd hated horror when I was a kid... never saw any freddy movies as was too scared.

I saw Army of Darkness, and loved it, being a big fantasy fan. Eventualy hunted down Evil dead and saw it. That was the begining. Since then, I've become a huge Romero fan, and general gore lover :)

Cant wait to see Sam Raimis next Evil Dead which he and Brucie boy are talking about :)

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

A trio of horror films that in hindsight are pure cheese, keep in mind I was only five or so when I first saw these: The Car with James Brolin, Octaman and the original Amityville Horror. These three had the most impact on me as a kid-Rabid also scared the crap outta me and gave me nightmares for weeks.

5. Luna

Luna Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jack Chick is amazing, really. I wish some hardcore Christians would drop some of those comics on my doorstep in hopes of saving me 'cause that stuff is very entertaining.

6. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I can recall... one of the first ever films to make me take wonder into this genre... I must have been 4 or so... my uncle was watching that "Company of Wolves". He told me to go to bed when that dude started peeling his skin off and changing.
    I also remember watching "Prophecy" with my mom and getting right scared when that bear mauled the cop guy when he went up to look around to see if everything was clear. :)
    Then I started to watch all kinds of flicks with my cousin Christopher... "The Uncanny" was a big shocker for me when I was about 6. There was one other movie... I can't recall the title but it was set in this big house that was incomplete (the roof was not on) way out in the forest somewhere, and there was a family and something was in the bush trying to get them. It was set in daytime, no night stuff. It was friggin awesome tho... dunno about now (if I ever figure out what it is) :)
    Oh, and those Harryhausen monster movies had a big effect on me too.

7. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

The Jack Chick stuff is so hardcore even a lot of the fundamentalists won't have anything to do with him. A lot of the mainstream Christian bookstores don't carry his tracts and comics. Fortunately, my hometown is podunk enough that the local Christian bookstore has a full supply of Chick merchandise.

As far as the Chick/Horror connection goes, I remember his "EXORCISTS" comic where they have to cast a demon out of some kid who was praying to a drawing of Satan.
    That was pretty good, as was "THE BROKEN CROSS" which was sort of like RACE WITH THE DEVIL.

8. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

I've never heard of Jack Chick. I did a little searching and found this site. That is some hateful, freaky stuff!

9. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

IT. I watched it when I was young and it developed three things. 1.) An intense hatred/fear of clowns, 2.) A love for horror movies and 3.) a deep devotion to John Ritter.

10. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I can name three

1 - The Class Of Nuke 'Em High - freaked the shit out of me when I was younger, but tought me how funny horror could be just a year or two later
    2 - Sleepaway Camp - the only film that has ever truly disturbed me and at the age of 5 I was nowhere near ready for that twist, nor am I capable of handling it now
    3 - Nightmare On Elm Street - biggest horror influence on me as a child as it invaded both my waking hours and terrified me twice as much after hours even at times when the film should've been a distant memory

11. nukfut

nukfut Guest

The Chick comics are classic. There are too many favorites for me to mention but the one that always sticks out for me is the D&D tract...

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

"The intense occult training through D&D prepared Debbie to accept the invitation to enter a witches' coven."

Please stop, you're killing me. LOL!

12. Luna

Luna Guest

That one damn near destroyed me the first time I read it. :lol:

13. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Ah yes, "DARK DUNGEONS." That was the one where the girl commits suicide after her character dies. There was also the comic "SPELLBOUND" about the evils of rock music--funny part was it seemed to be populated by 70s era cokehead rockers and was out of date by the early 80s. I wonder if he's updated it any...he does that on occasion.

14. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Fright night

15. Frankenstein

16. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

To the best of my knowledge I began watching horror films sometime in the late '80s. I pretty much started off with just the Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Nightmare on Elm Street films. I didn't really start branching out until a few years later. Around 1986 or 1987 (maybe even 1988) we got one of those C-Band satellite systems. Those were the big dishes that moved every time you changed to a different satellite on your remote control. Channels were spread across different satellites. I can still remember a lot of the different satellites. F1, F3, G1, G3, G5, C1, T1, etc. Each satellite had 24 channels. One really nice thing about C-Band was that there were certain feed channels on one satellite (maybe others too) where you could watch multiple episodes (sometimes up to 5) of syndicated shows back to back. Anyway, I remember watching a Friday the 13th/Friday the 13th, Part II double feature late one night on WSBK's "The Movie Loft." At the time I wasn't too familiar with the series so I was wondering why Jason wasn't the killer in the first one and why he didn't have the hockey mask in number two. Still, I had a blast. One Halloween (also in the late '80s) I remember rushing home from my elementary school's carnival to watch Friday the 13th, Part IV: The Final Chapter. After trick or treating one year I settled in for a viewing of Halloween and Halloween II. (I passed on Halloween III: Season of the Witch because it didn't have anything to do with Michael Myers.) Man, they scared the hell out of me. The hospital setting in Halloween II creeped me out. Those were good times. I wish these films felt as magical now as they did all those years ago. I still enjoy them, but nothing like I did back then. I also remember watching a lot of "Freddy's Nightmares: A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Series" episodes and being genuinely disappointed that "Friday the 13th: The Series" had nothing to do with Jason Voorhees. Terror in the Aisles was an early favorite of mine. I still remember seeing a TV spot for Halloween 4 back in 1988. The voice-over announcer said "Ten years ago, Halloween. Evil had a (face or shape), terror had a night, and now, he's back." (Insert footage of Dr. Loomis in the Sheriff's Office saying "Six bodies, Sheriff! That's what I've seen, between here and Ridgemont! A filling station in flames! I tell you Michael Myers is here, in this town!" Then cut to the title which is seen and read over a zoomed in shot of Myers' mask. Pretty much all you can see are the black eyes and some whiteness from the mask. "Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers." (Insert quote of Loomis saying "He's come home to kill." playing over the video of Jamie Lloyd frantically trying to open her bedroom door, the door opening suddenly, and Myers standing there and raising the butcher knife. Jamie SCREAMS LOUDLY.) "Halloween 4. Rated R." One of the pay-per-view channels at that time was Cable Video Store. Sometimes they would fuck up and the signal would go unscrambled for several hours on end. I got to tape Friday the 13th, Part VII: The New Blood for free. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors kept me from sleeping for awhile. Good times indeed. :banana: