What Keeps You Alive - IFC Midnight

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Aug 26, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I fully expected Summer Of' '84 and Arizona to be the movie highlights of my weekend. Then on Saturday night, a movie snuck up behind me, sucker punched me, pushed me to the ground and shouted "Bitch, I'm the movie of your weekend!" And that movie was What Keeps You Alive.

This was a really terrific surprise. I went in knowing nothing except that it was about two girls at a cabin in the woods. Based on that, I was kind of expecting it to be one of those boring pretentious movies like Honeymoon and Always Shine where nothing really happens and it doesn't make any sense. Boy, was I wrong. This one grabs you pretty quickly, and it kept me on the edge of my seat.

You really don't need to know anything more than that. Don't read up on it or watch the trailer. Just go in blind and enjoy the ride. No, seriously. Stop reading and go watch the movie.

The movie was written and directed by Colin Minihan, one half of "The Vicious Brothers" (Grave Encounters, Extraterrestrial, It Stains The Sands Red, none of which impressed me). The two leads, Brittany Allen and Hannah Emily Anderson (who are both terrific in this by the way), both also had major roles in Jigsaw. Allen was also the star of Minihan's previous movie It Stains The Sands Red. And the neighbor across the lake is played by Martha MacIsaac from Superbad and the Last House On The Left remake.

Also, Jackie and Jules song (Silverchair - "Anthem For The Year 2000") is a song I used to love in high school, but haven't really listened to since. So both times it played in the movie, it brought out my inner high school. In fact, I'm listening to it right now as I write this!

Anyway, I loved this movie. Now available on VOD from IFC Midnight. Scream Factory is releasing it on blu-ray on November 27th, and it'll be a day one purchase for sure. Don't be surprised if it makes my top 10 of the year list. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

fceurich39, Myron Breck and Katatonia like this.
  2. CPT HOOK

Just wanted to remind everyone that this was released on blu-ray and DVD today (it was delayed a week from it's original release date).

Terrific movie, easily one of the year's best!

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Had it on top of my Netflix Blu Ray queue, and after the delay it was removed completely and thrown in that purgatory called "unknown"

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I have a 30% coupon at Target (Google Express), so might order it from there...

I did have it on pre-order at Amazon but cancelled it... they keep pissing me off with their "coupons" applied at checkout. Those are all just completely disappearing from pre-orders now! And they are charging the higher total amounts than what the original order emails stated...which is bullshit! :mad:

5. CPT HOOK

Yeah, those are dumb. I've used them before on pre-orders, and they disappear if the price drops.

Right now, I'm currently playing a fun game with Amazon and the new Creepshow blu-ray. They keep lowering the price about 40 cents at a time, once every day or two. I ordered it with No-Rush shipping, and every time they drop the price I cancel and re-order. I'm in no hurry to have it, so hey, at least this will get me the lowest price.