What are the best looking blu-ray titles?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by maybrick, May 28, 2011.

1. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Forgot about that one; it definitely impressed the hell out of me. One of the films that made me realize almost anything can benefit from a Blu-Ray treatment.

2. Christ75

Christ75 New Member

I recommend:

60s - 70s:
    The Godfather, Part I
    Taxi Driver
    Batman: The Movie (the kitch one with Adam West)
    The Shining

80s-90s 00s
    Blade Runner: The Final Cut
    I, Robot
    Tron: Legacy
    X:-Files: Fight the Future
    Dune
    Alien

skip skip skip:
    Time Bandits
    Goodfellas
    Predator (Ultimate Hunter Edition)
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

3. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Great List Christ75. How could I forget to recommend Blade Runner? You know what irks me about Goodfellas (and The Terminator) is that it's been released more than once, yet they haven't gotten it right. Batman does look great. It's a shame the series will never see the light of day.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Many great titles already discussed in this thread. I would also recommend Star Trek: The Original Series, all three seasons actually. The Planet of the Apes Collection is pretty impressive too.

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I second this recommendation whole-heartedly. I've seen the Connery Bond films many, many times. But seeing the first 3 (Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger) on Blu-ray was a completely new experience.

If you're into classic cinema, the restorations of Gone With The Wind, The Adventures Of Robin Hood, and The Wizard Of Oz are pretty mind-blowing as well. DVD struggles to reproduce the oversaturated look of three-strip Technicolor. But it looks sensational on Blu-ray.

I also agree with those who recommended The Shining, The Road Warrior, The Thing, Apocalypse Now, and Blade Runner. The Exorcist, Creepshow, and Kaufman's Invasion Of The Body Snatchers also look really good.

I'm surprised 2001 A Space Odyssey hasn't been mentioned yet. It looks truly sensational.

The Godfather films have been reproduced very faithfully on Blu-ray. But they're not exactly eye candy due to the artistic choices of Gordon Willis.

I know that's a lot more than 3 titles. But unless your screen is truly enormous there's not a ton of difference between the best Blu-ray transfers. And all of these releases are worth mentioning.

I don't have many truly disappointing titles because I religiously read reviews before making purchases. Near Dark has a pretty weak transfer. But I knew that before I picked it up. Since it was only $6 I still took the plunge.

I know you should avoid The French Connection. Friedkin employed a bizarre process to radically alter the color timing. The most recent Predator release is also a travesty due to outrageous levels of DNR. Then there are transfers that have received many strong reviews despite serious technical issues. Those would include Carpenter's Halloween (color timing issues--mainly missing blue hues in the night scenes) and Patton (overzealous use of detail-obliterating DNR).

Many people are also very upset about the transfer of Coppola's Dracula--though there's some credible evidence suggesting that it's actually very faithful to the original answer print. It does look very different to prior home video releases. But Coppola's crew maintains that the earlier versions were altered due to the technical limitations of VHS, DVD, and older televisions.

6. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I think people are overly harsh about the Blu-rays for Carrie and The Terminator. They're not reference quality but they're faithful to the original theatrical presentations of the films. Carrie is a soft film so it'll always lack detail. The Terminator is a gritty, low-budget film, shot mostly at night. The original Predator disc was also very faithful to the film's look but people complained and look what happened. They DNRed the fuck out of it and released a wax museum remake of it on Blu-ray. Not every film is going to look mind-blowing on Blu-ray. The way a film was shot, and the film stock that it was shot on, need to be taken into account. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, on the other hand, needs to be taken to task. MGM fucked that up, thanks to erroneous amounts of DNR usage. That being said, the disc isn't unwatchable like the Ultimate Hunter Edition of Predator. DNR isn't necessarily evil. I hear that Fox and James Cameron used it to great effect with their Aliens Blu-ray. The problem is that most companies use it very lazily and we get terrible and unnatural looking discs.

7. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

I saw My Bloody Valentine (remake with 4 glasses) and Kickboxer in the $6 Bluray bin at Walmart, anyone know if these transfers are any good?

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Although the question is off topic here, I was wondering the same thing regarding My Bloody Valentine 3D. I have the standard DVD and would like to know if it's really worth the upgrade, but then at only $6 I may just take the plunge anyways.

9. Kolpitz

I can't compare the Blu-ray to the DVD, as I don't own the DVD, but the Blu-ray looks excellent. If you like the film, it's more than worth six bucks. As for Kickboxer, I hear that transfer is complete ass (as in a good amount of DNR applied).

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I haven't watched Terminator on blu-ray, but I agree about Carrie.

I thought Carrie looked pretty good on blu-ray. Not reference quality, but definitely not one of the worst I've seen.

I only watched the 2D version on the My Bloody Valentine blu-ray, and I thought it looked terrific. If you are a fan of the movie, then don't hesitate to pick it up.

11. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Two others I thought looked really good were Night of the creeps & Monster Squad

12. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Can't wait to get ST, but the price is too high. I'll wait until I find a deal!!

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Don't know about Kickboxer, but MBV is amazing looking. I'd suggest staying away from the 3D as it doesn't work so great on home theater, but the 2D version almost jumps off the screen anyway.

Haven't seen the dvd to compare, but judgeing by how impressive the BD is, it is most definitly worth the upgrade. Esp. for $6, that's less than a gallon of gas almost! Plus, if you don't have the 2disc SE dvd, you'll get all of the extras from that as well!

14. maybrick

I got it yesterday and popped in the first 10 minutes of the 3D version to give it a spin. It's been a while, but I believe that the 3D effect is pulled off far more successfully than it was with the DVD, but that was to be expected with the higher resolution. It wasn't perfect, but I could see myself sitting through the entire film in 3D now.

15. bigdaddyhorse

It does work better than The Final Destination (BD) or Friday the 13th 3 (dvd) I've tried, but having seen it in the theater and this doesn't compare. I wanted the bloody hand hanging in my face again, making me check my shirt for drops. The hand was out of the screen, but not right in my face like in the theater. I wonder how the actual 3D-BD looks. Fuckers won't spin it for me at Best Buy to test, even when I tell them if it looks great I'll buy a TV, 3D player and the disc (or they could tell I was lying about that part). So worried about some kid seeing some blood or some tits...:rolleyes:

In the theater this was the coolest, best 3D effects I've seen until Avatar came out months later.

16. Kolpitz

I think the 3-D version of My Bloody Valentine on the standard Blu-ray is the best home video 3-D I've ever seen, not using a 3-D TV. That being said, it's still not great. The colors are almost non-existent but the ghosting is minimal and the 3-D pops quite effectively.

17. maybrick

I watched The Thing last night and I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed with the transfer. I could swear that I saw some edge enhancement from time to time and there was some very significant DNR on one person's sweater that caused it to shimmer like crazy exactly 12 minutes in. It looks good and definitely better than the DVD overall (sweater didn't shimmer on the old non-anamorphic disc) but out of the 13 or so blu-rays I own right now this disc is in second to last place (Scream being last).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  18. bigdaddyhorse

I need to give this another try, but after watching the non-anamorphic dvd for so long, the BD looked like a new movie when I did spin it. So clear and colorful all the sudden! I was beyond happy at that point, hopefully I'm not jaded by great BD transfers and notice this looking like crap when I do watch it again.

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Many people seem split on The Thing blu-ray. There is heavy DNR for sure. I also kept the original Collector's Edition DVD. Getting back to the topic at hand (I'm not sure if I mentioned this here), I cannot recommend The Twilight Zone collections enough. If you are a fan, they are must buys (despite how many of the other sets you've bought in the past). I just pre-ordered Season 5 on Amazon for the high price of $80 (with shipping) and I'd pay twice that if that's what it cost.

20. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Home Theater magazine's May 2010 issue has the 100 best Blu-Ray Discs.

Here are some horror/Monster discs that made that list:

District 9 (for picture)
    Blade Runner (for extras and best overall)
    Cloverfied (for sound)