Werewolf: The Series

Discussion in 'General' started by addicted2dvd, May 6, 2009.

1. AndresG

AndresG Member

plus they get more exposure and promotion so don't really understand what their point is...

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Sad news. It's silly, really. TV was never designed with the intent of bringing it home, so any of the extra money made on these DVDs is just bonus for anyone lucky enough to get residuals. It's one thing if the talent wants money, but the songs are essentially filler. Episodes easily work without them, and these days more music is replaced than retained anyway. It's just unfortunate that the music is mixed in with the dialogue and that music from a couple bands we've surely never heard about is forcing this release into hiatus. Weak!

3. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

maybe they could bump up the price a little ? or a lot hell I'd pay 100 for it no problem ...........

I could even live with no audio and subtitles for the two songs ..... ( I wouldn't blame shout factory and sorry to say it but fuck the two artists that screwed this up)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. Dave

Dave Pimp

Anyone have a reasonable quality copy of this series? All I can find is VHS quality (at best). Sucks the DVD never came out.

5. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

1987, I use to watch this.. good little show.. didn't last long.

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Was bummed when Shout had to cancel their release over a decade ago. Will be interested to hear how the R2 release in the article below pans out, I guess like with Return of the Living Dead we are getting this because different territories have different music agreements.

https://ventsmagazine.com/2020/07/3...kW5O0NPJCpHUuSRKsHi3rg7djuzt0rUqyjCurP5cYEC0E

Here is where you can pre-order the set, comes out to a little over $50:

https://www.fnac.com/a14106947/Coff...92SaWdl_y_bCqf1YxtiFnO0peM79Zo#omnsearchpos=1

gobad2003 likes this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

What is the deal with the series anyway? It seems to always fall through when English releases get announced. The very few pictures I've seen have the werewolf/s looking like the ones from The Howling which is awesome but is this series even good? I really know nothing about it.

8. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

Just hoping...
    1 It actually gets released .
    2 I dont have to jump through razor wire on fire to get it.
    3 There aren't forced french subtitles covering half the screen.

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It’s basically like a horror version of The Fugitive and The Incredible Hulk series.

The lead is trying to find the original alpha werewolf, to kill him and end the curse. At the same time, the lead himself is chased by a hunter. So he goes from place to place, following the trail of the alpha, while in every episode getting in new kinds of troubles. But luckely, there is always a fullmoon, when shit hits the fan, so he can transform and save the day, by ripping the bad guys to shreads :D

It’s pretty good, with some great (for an 80:s tv budget) FX.
    Though I think the 90 minute pilot movie is the best episode. The rest of the episodes are only about 25 minutes, and things feels a bit rushed at times, due to the short lenght.

Christy and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Thanks Steel, that actually doesn't sound too bad. My curiosity to check this out has risen considerably :D Of course, now I have to find it.

Steel76 likes this.
  11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I received the French release of Werewolf: The Complete Series in the mail from France yesterday. Shipping was very fast and the 6 disc set came well protected in the shipping box.
    Here's what you get if you import this set:

-All 29 episodes of the single 1987-1988 season of the show
    -English or French audio on all episodes
    -Optional French subtitles on all episodes
    -Only on disc bonus feature is a 16 minute interview with television critic Alain Carraze. This is only in French and has no subtitles.
    -The discs are held in a plastic case that slides into a cardboard slipbox.
    -Also in the slipbox is a booklet with writing on the show and an episode guide. Unfortunately it's all in French.

The reason this show has never received a U.S. release is that the rights to a song in the pilot couldn't be cleared and no music & effects only track exists, making it so the dialog in that scene can't be separated from the music to make a song replacement possible. But with music rights being different in different territories, we were able to get this release. I've only seen the pilot once, but I scanned through the sections with music and it all seems to be there without any attempted tinkering that might mute dialog.

The video quality isn't great. The booklet pic shows a before and after comparison that basically tells you it went from bad to slightly brighter bad. The case has Sony logos on it, so Elephant Films got the materials for this release from the French rights holders. This means these aren't the same taped off TV in the '80s versions that have been bootlegged for decades, but you're still getting something that is on a lesser scale than modern DVD releases. Each disc holds about 5 episodes, so compression is better than the boot I picked up at a convention a decade ago which had 10 episodes per disc.

The cost for importing this is around $50 shipped, so you'll have to balance your fandom of the show with the quality you are getting for that price. You'll also have to be able to play region 2/PAL discs.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  12. Dave

Dave Pimp

I hunted this show for over 10 years. I refused to watch the bootlegs. Just terrible. This release, while a far far far cry from a properly done modern TV on DVD release, is still the best the show has ever looked. It's watchable now. They should have done better. Image is too soft. Detail is lacking. And boy are some scenes jacked up on brightness. Oh well. I'm happy I can at least watch it now. Hopefully someone else comes along with a better release someday. I read that audio editing has improved over the years and that they likely could get the music yanked out - without stripping the audio. No clue if that is true or not. In the end, I guess this is just a 'decent bootleg', so perhaps I am relenting and finally watching a boot.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    rhett likes this.