Weakest Sub-genre in Your Collection?

Discussion in 'General' started by joltaddict, Feb 17, 2001.

1. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

I just got Plague of the Zombies and realized it is my first Hammer DVD. I have almost a hundred horror DVDs and this is the only Hammer film represented.
    I have a ton of 70's horror however :)

So, how well rounded are your personal collections?

2. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

Although I like the Hammer films, I don't have a single one in my collection. I guess I saw them on TV, so sort of take them for granted. I can't really warrant paying money to own them, especially considering the price. If they were released at prices comparable to the MGM films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, or a collection (The Cushing Frankenstein films) I'd get a few. But honestly, for B Grade, Nostalgic Horror, the price is too high.

My collection used to be more rounded, but now it is leaning to mostly horror...

3. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Ha ha ha!! I just ordered the last available Hammer yesterday! Nyah-nyah! It's The Reptile, so soon my Hammer collection will be complete, at least untill they come out with more, but for now I am The King!!! And there can be only one King, and you are not it! It is I who is King, not you, but me - The King!! (you all KNOW this is done in the voice of Mojo-Jojo, right?) Ha ha ha!! Whoo-ee! (just thought I'd share that :) )

Okay, now that my exhilaration is over - NOT - let's see, what's my weakest represented sub-genre? I would have to say the comedy-romance-cannibal-musical would be my weakest represented sub-genre, as I only have the one title, Cannibal - The Musical. tee-hee.

4. ctyner

ctyner Member

I too only have one Hammer disc, "Quatermass 2". What an odd choice, I'm sure.

I also consider the zombie subgenre to be by far my favorite, yet my zombie collection is almost non-existant on DVD. VHS/LD is another matter. :D

5. CastleX

CastleX Guest

I have only Zombie, and Demons so far, so I guess my Italian sub-genre is vastly lacking, to say the least.....

6. napalm68

napalm68 Guest

My weakest horror sub genre would be Christian Horror films... I don't have any. :)

7. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

My Hammer sub-genre is non-existent, thus making it my weakest.
    A lack of pennies and too many alternative Euro-horror titles (I still have to complete my Argento and Fulci collections from the titles available out there!) are the reasons for this. :confused:

8. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Hammer and the Universal horror classics are neglected in my collection. I hope to change that soon, but bills must come first!

napalm68, check out Blood Freak. The first drugged out splatter movie with a Christian message. It'll make a believer out of you! ;)

9. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

In terms of horror, I'm not a Hammer fan so I don't have any. No Universal classics, either. I'm mostly an 80s-slasher type fan, so I mostly have those and zombie films and some Euro-horror.

10. Vdlman

Vdlman Guest

AceRimRat, I'm exactly the same. I'm not a Hammer fan so I don't have any in my collection. And I virtually have no Universal classics. What my collection does consist of is slashers, zombies, some euro-horror, and LOTS of grade "B" horror.

11. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Blasphemers!!! :D

12. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

It's either "Total Eclipse" or "Full Eclipse," whichever isn't the artsy DiCaprio film. And it's pretty good, for a made-for-cable.

13. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

Hey David666, how's about WOLFEN?

14. jae

jae Guest

I like Hammer movies but all the ones I want just aren't on DVD.. I have Dracula Prince of Darkness and nothing else. The best of their Dracula and Frankenstein movies just aren't available. Other than that, my weakest is slashers.. I'm buying Bava's Twitch of the Death Nerve and that should be the only one I'm interested in unless you consider Halloween (which I have) a slasher.
    I have quite a few zombie movies and old gothic/classic horror.

15. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Jae, what are you saying :eek: ? Frankenstein Created Woman is probably the second best Hammer Frankenstein there is, and not only by my opinion. It is a VERY popular film amongst Hammer fans. If you've seen it, okay, it's not your cup of tea, but if you haven't, I strongly urge you to check it out. The other seminal classics so far are The Devil Rides out and Plague of the Zombies. While Plague may be an acquired taste, Devil Rides Out is required Hammer viewing. My personal favorite though, would be Rasputin, The Maaaaaaad Monk :D . I'm sorry; this isn't the Hammer forum? Eh, so sue me ;) .

And Dave666, I agree with your lycanthropic lamentations. I remember back when AWIL came out, and there was all this subsequent werwolf hype. It just got popular, you know? The Wolfen, The Howling... all that stuff was going on in 80-81 and there were tv shows, characters added to existing shows (what was his name on Plasticman, Fang-face?) numerous magazines and books dedicated to the myth and the movies. Ah, it was a grand ole time indeed. Yes, let's get all the good ones on dvd. I'm all for it :D .

16. David666

David666 Guest

Werewolf films.

I have "Bad Moon", which I think is great. One of those unappreciated, under-rated gems as far as I'm concerned.

I'm eagerly awaiting the greatest of this sub-genre "The Howling." I am also waiting on a better version of "American Werewolf in London." Also, when a 16X9 of "American Werewolf in Paris" comes along I'll get that too.

I'd like to have the entire "Howling" series on DVD, with the obvious exception of "New Moon Rising" which really isn't a werewolf film at all... more of a line-dancing waste of celluloid. The others vary in quality, but it's something I'd like to have.

"Lone Wolf" is one I'd like on DVD as well.

"Werewolf: The Series" would make one hell of a nice box set.

I hope that "Ginger Snaps" doesn't become the latest horror film to be doomed to a Lackluster (um, I mean Blockbuster) Exclusive.

"The Craving" would be a nice option, but only in the $14.99 range. The film just isn't worth any more then that.

"Werewolf vs The Vampire Woman" is one that needs the DVD treament as well.

There was a werewolf film with Mario Van Pebbles in it (dressed in his best Wolverine X-Man costume). It wasn't great by any means, but I'd like to have the option.

There is an unfortunate lack of werewolf cinema. I'm not particularly looking forward to that RapCrap Werewolf film thats rumored to be in production with Snoopy Doggy Doo, or whoever, in it. I'm sure I'll see it, but it will be one I catch on video.

Does anyone else remember when the rumors of "The Faculty" first surfaced in Fangoria's Terror Teletype? It was reported to be a werewolf film and not an alien take over flick. Imagine how disappointed I was.

MORE WEREWOLVES!

:p