We Missed Guillermo del Toro Making Universal Monsters Dark Universe

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Dec 2, 2017.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I just saw this article today about Guillermo del Toro passing on the Universal Monsters some years ago.

http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-dark-universe/#universal-monsters

That and At the Mountains of Madness were probably going to be good ones that we missed. Especially since I think he said in the past that Prometheus killed the idea of At the Mountains of Madness. And now that we know how those new Alien sequels are turning out it's a shame that happened. I hope he still releases a book of the production work on Mountains of Madness.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm way more interested in something like The Shape Of Water, an original inspired by a Universal Monster property, rather than seeing him actually tackle the Universal Monsters franchise under heavy studio control.

Del Toro was attached to Creature for a while, but I feel like audiences will be getting the better deal with Shape. I'm really hoping that movie is as good as it looks.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

He always seems to be backing the wrong horse. He walked away from The Hobbit just before it finally got the green light, causing Peter Jackson to scramble in and do that one. Putting all his chips in on At the Mountain of Madness just seems like a bad choice to me. Even at the time it seemed like a snowball's chance in hell of happening. A big budget movie based on Lovecraft material which has never been a big draw? Those were the longest odds of any project he's been on. Except perhaps next to Pacific Rim. So I'll give him that.

Universal's going to try again. And if this is Del Torro's one regret then perhaps if he's offered a second chance he'll take it this time.

But you know what? There's also a parallel universe where George A. Romero directed The Mummy in the mid nineties and followed that up with Resident Evil. And the whole concept of a more-action-than-horror blockbuster is just a pipe dream in Sommers's and Anderson's under employed brains. As much as I do enjoy those franchises for what they are, I know on which Earth 2 I'd like to be on.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I wouldn't mind seeing a Del Toro treatment for Frankenstein, but generally, I think I'd rather see him work on original films that draw inspiration from the Universal Monsters (ala The Shape of Water) than to have him work on outright remakes of the films, themselves.

I still hold out hope that he can eventually figure out a way to get At the Mountains of Madness filmed. Maybe it'd work out better as a Netflix miniseries?

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I want to like Del Toro but all of his films turn into over computer generated dreck. I come away from them all with a deep sense of blah, so any time one of his projects gets cancelled (particularly when it comes to franchises I care about) I can’t help but breathe a sigh of relief.

Workshed likes this.
  6. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I kind of agree with maybrick :eek:. Sure, Pan's Labyrinth is amazing, but I haven't loved much of what has come after from him.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hellboy II was awesome too, but I have to agree that overall his output as been underwhelming. Although his upcoming film looks awesome too.

With that said, I'd rather have Del Toro at his worst working on the Universal Reboot than anyone else they've had at their best. (Well, not LITERALLY at his worst, 'cause that's him being so impatient that he keeps dumping things in frustration and keeps trying something else... Although nothing at all may have been a better alternative. :D)

A Del Toro Frankenstein while overseeing another promising director work on Dracula/The Mummy/Phantom/etc., then a Monster Mash, even with mediocre results, I can live with that. Like Pacific Rim. Didn't blow my mind, but I could live with it. Or a Crimson Peak. I wasn't impressed by it but I'm glad he gave a gothic horror like that a shot.

I'd be hard pressed to think of another well known name working on it. Although, Spielberg would be a great choice and works with Universal a lot through DreamWorks. The man does know Horror between Duel, Jaws, Poltergeist, Twilight Zone and even Gremlins and other more horror-inspired-Spielbergian moments. I think his Horror site is underrated and underutilized. Not that I'd expect Spielberg to direct anything, but Universal should just give up the ghost and let DreamWorks develop these properties. Probably under a new umbrella.

Workshed likes this.
  8. ImmortalSlasher

He did have Tom Cruise on it that's why I thought it was coming out. When Tom Cruise gets a strong director he seems to make good movies too. I bet it was going to be good.

On a side horror note, the recent episode of Riverdale had a Lovecraft easter egg.

Workshed likes this.
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Success in Hollywood is made by those who dare to dream. Del Toro dared to dream that a big budget R-Rated horror film staring a major name could be done in Hollywood. I can't fault him for that. It also got us Pacific Rim.

Yeah he walked away from a Universal Reboot and The Hobbit only to end up with those other projects not happening, but that could be said of any director.

But you know what? It's not too late. Universal can come knocking again. And Warner can come knocking again in another 10 years. Lots of projects have revolving doors where film makers are on again then off again.

This need not be a funeral dirge. We won't see the last of any of these projects, even At the Mountains of Madness. With the success of IT something Mountains-esque seems more possible now than ever before.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I am highly skeptical that the major studios understand how horror movies work. Making big budget Universal Monster reboots is a mistake. While they were very successful in their heyday they were also not considered major films by the studio. In today’s market they probably shouldn’t have a production budget of more than $40-50 million to deliver a comparable product. Throwing $100+ million at CGI and a top tier cast isn’t going to get people into seats, as the last Mummy, Wolf Man, and Van Helsing more than proved. When filmmakers are given smaller budgets to work with they need to think more creatively to deliver shocks, and THAT is how you make a horror film worth seeing. Horror movies are just as much about the unseen as they are about the seen, and large CGI budgets throw that equation completely out of whack.

11. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

These films live and die with atmosphere, so I would focus on locations, costume / set design, the best cinematographers money can buy and classically trained actors. These stories are all period pieces and most contemporary Hollywood A-listers aren't going to be well-suited for these roles. None of these stories really call out for flashy CGI sequences, so that's money that's largely being wasted, too.

ImmortalSlasher and othervoice1 like this.
  12. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Well, the first problem to me with a Universal horror reboot is that they feel they have to keep making ACTION films for some reason. I would love to see some properties come back, but as a daring experiment utilizing purposely low budgets and sincere care to preserve the moods of the original films. Not remakes but low budget reimaginings instead of making these cgi cartoons of actors and throwing them against the sides of exotic locales. How these films turn out smacks of insecurity and insincerity.

13. ImmortalSlasher

That's probably why I like Penny Dreadful so much. That was surprisingly good to me.