War coming to an end finally?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by KR~!, Nov 29, 2007.

1. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Blu-ray Dominates HD- DVD in US Holiday shopping

Blu-Ray pulled away from rivals as the Hi-definition media wars continue through another holiday shopping season.

Data from this past weekend - the largest retail shopping day of the year - showed that that 72.6 percent of high-definition discs purchased by consumers were Blu-ray Disc, and just 27.4 percent were HD DVD, according to Nielsen VideoScan.

The sales build on top of Blu-Ray's current leading position. Reports indicate that between until the beginning of Novevember, Blu-ray Disc's sold 2.6 million units versus 1.4 million for HD DVD .

source: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20071130/blu-ray-hd-dvd-hidef.htm

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Why spend the extra dough on a dual format player? It's actually cheaper to buy one of each. Just seems like a waste of money either way to me. They should have settled this whole thing with negotiations two years ago.

Then, if you can imagine, everyone would be happy. :fucked:

3. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

But they didn't settle it two years ago. And player prices only ever drop. Wait a bit, and they'll be a reasonable alternative, imo.

4. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Blu-Ray is the better tech, but people don't want to cough up the money for it.

Personally, I think we are all spoiled!

Oh how soon we forget.

The 1st VCR ever made cost $50,000 and that was back in 1956.

The 1st home versions were going for well over a grand and that was in the early 1980's!

VHS tapes used to cost $99 and up! We all rented them back then since no one could afford to buy them!

Remember that?

5. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I do. But my father also remembers when people didn't have TV's, so I'm not so sure it really matters. It's today now - we're not spoiled, we just demand good value for money.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

You can buy cheap crappy HD-DVD players if you want like the A2 and A3. But the good HDVD players are not that much less than the good Blu-Ray players.

7. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

If WB decides to go exclusive blu-ray then I think things may start to slide for HD-DVD - they have made a formidable comeback but blu-ray continues to sell more movies and their players are finally starting to dip into reasonable range . If WB goes exclusive blu-ray then blu-ray will once gain have an overwhelming studio support- but if WB goes HD-DVD only then it is about dead even in studio support and the battle will continue. Remember Paramounts agreement with HD-DVD is only for one year and is already half over- so if WB picks a side and it happens to be blu-ray I see Paramount at least going back neutral by fall of next year and the that would spell the end for HD-DVD IMO. I originally supported HD-DVD and still lean towards it but I now have both an HD-DVD player (360 add on) and a PS3 so I can rent the best of both worlds. But my honest feeling is blu-ray has the edge still and I am very interested in what Warner decides to do - if anything...

9. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

10. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

11. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Here's an interesting article:

12. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Gee, I wonder how Luna feels about this issue?

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think Warner will remain neutral, and Paramount has an 18 month agreement. They'll be HD-DVD exclusive till after next Holiday season. For the price Toshiba paid, they should be. ;) Call it a hunch but I think Universal may go neutral 'round the time of the upcoming fiscal year. It seems the most logical, especially for Universal.

There's no doubt about it though, Warner is keeping HD-DVD afloat. I actually don't think the Paramount/Dreamworks deal helped HD-DVD much. Transformers has been overtaken by Spider-Man 3 which is now climbing up the charts from its mediocre opening. Considering SM3 is competing with itself as a give away in new PS3's I think that's damn impressive.

It was looking bleak for HD-DVD last month with consistent 70/30ish sales weeks a couple times in a row, but the week before lasts was back to 58/42. But look at what was released:

November 27, 2007
    Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (HD-DVD)
    Hot Rod (HD-DVD)
    Mr. Bean's Holiday (HD-DVD)
    Old School (HD-DVD)
    <VS>
    Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (Blu-ray)
    I Know Who Killed Me (Blu-ray)
    Paprika (Blu-ray)

So Blu-ray beat HD-DVD's Will Farrel hits with anime and a box office bomb. That was probably HD-DVD's best chance for the season. We'll have to see how Pirates did when results come next Friday. I doubt Bourne Ultimatum will make much headway. The Harry Potter HD-DVDs have more extras than the Blu-ray disks, so we'll have to see how they come head to head. I suspect it'll be much like the situation with 300.

PS3's are finally selling now, eclipsing anything Toshiba can possibly do.

14. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

I think an interesting factor in Blu-Ray will take effect once there are more PS3 games. If PS3 owners are buying $60 games that take dozens of hours to play, will they have extra money or time to buy/watch Blu-Ray movies?

I picked up a PS3, before looking into their game situation. So far I've only bought 3 games, and only one was good enough to play all they way through. I wish there were more good games.

Right now I mostly use the PS3 for Blu-Rays. But once some good games come out, I'll start buying them. For every one PS3 game I buy, I won't have that cash to use on 3-4 Blu-Rays. And for every PS3 game I play all the way through, that's a couple nights I'm not going to be watching movies.

15. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

It looks like HD-DVD standalone players outsold Blu-Ray standalone players on Black Friday, despite the overwhelming amount of Blu-Ray ads:

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well PS3 isn't going to carry Blu-ray for the long haul, I'm sure eventually the goal is to have standalone players take over. Just as the Trojans didn't remain in their wooden horse BD will not rely on PS3 alone. Samsung has already released a player cheaper than the cheapest PS3 for example.

As for a PS3 owner having less time or money for Blu-ray once the gaming picks up, I think they are mutually exclusive enough to a pretty good extent. A gamer will probably maintain a steady level of gaming in ratio to movie watching when we're talking net time. This is because whatever gaming they're not doing on the PS3 is probably balanced out by game play on other systems like the Xbox360, Wii, PS2 and PC. System usage may change but overall the amount of time spent on gaming would probably stay the same. Expenditures are probably the same way.

As for the "Sound Advice" article, basically all he's saying is "Is too. Is not." It's just conjecture, dated conjecture at that as Profile 1.1 and BD-J activation have already come and gone on Blu-ray catching it up to HD-DVD's interactivity. His only real true point (which actually he doesn't specifically make but I'll read between the lines to help him out) is that LAN activity only remains, which apparently members of the BD group are reluctant to include. Disney wants it so it won't be far. Hopefully the PS3 will utilize BD-Live and knock some sense into the BD group.

At the end of the day HD-DVD copy protection has been crack. Blu-ray's BD+ has not. So it's severely doubtful Fox or Disney will switch sides and of course Sony, Columbia Pictures and MGM will go down with the ship. It's just good business.

17. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

I haven't kept on top of HD/BR ripping, but I'm pretty sure BD+ was cracked almost immediately after it came out.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/22/bd-crack-released

18. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

another article:

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2007/12/123_15197.html

19. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

You know, I wouldn't but the LG brand at all. They're known as a very cheap product, and are not well respected. I saw them mostly in Germany, but you can get them in the UK. It's not a brand I'm excited about, and basically don't trust it.

20. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

I feel the same way about Toshiba, I mean they are not known as a high end company. For HDDVD to have a legit chance, they need to have other companies besides Toshiba make players.