Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I originally thought Wonder Women was a movie I'd seen recently and enjoyed thoroughly, but it turns out I was thinking of Policewomen. Also 70s exploitation sleaze.

2. Vortex

Vortex Member

Thank goodness for VS releasing obscure gems like Dear Dead Delilah on Blu-ray. So many fantastic films languishing in VHS hell, and this is one of the best of it's kind. Too many re-release happy labels out there.

loutoad23, Katatonia, zbinks and 2 others like this.
  3. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Dear Dead Delilah looks like it has some elements I like, but the whole "greedy relatives squabbling over the inheritance" isn't my cup of tea. Murder for financial gain can make just about any horror movie feel like an episode of Midsomer Murders. I'm not really sold on it and am perfectly fine waiting for the reviews.

I've said it before, I appreciate Vinegar Syndrome's mission AND the technical quality of their presentations. And they have released a few titles I consider favourites, like Psychic Killer, Madman, Graduation Day, and Don't Answer the Phone! I even think Punk Vacation is a hoot. But the last year, none of their titles have made me go "I really need that."

On the other hand, Code Red has been pumping out titles I really enjoy, like Monster Shark, Erotic Nights of the Living Dead, Love Me Deadly, The Sadist, Slithis, The Being, The Dark, Sole Survivor, and Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker, and that's just in the last 12 months. Now, many of those titles would have fit right in in the VS catalogue. Companies like Severin, Code Red, and Vinegar Syndrome very much overlap in terms of the kind of movies they release, and they largely share the same consumer base. I'm not more loyal to one company than the other. The company that puts out the best release of the movie I want is the one that gets my money. True, Severin often has compression issues, and Bill seems to license Italian scans for his Italian titles. Neither situation is ideal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the titles VS is releasing, I'm just more anxious to see the titles they aren't releasing, if that makes sense. ;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

5. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Trust me. You need Dear Dead Delilah.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Tell me why and I might consider it. ;)

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I went for all three Blu-ray releases in the August package. Wonder Women is the only one I have seen. The Retromedia DVD was poor quality, especially the audio. Should be much better this time around.

8. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

It's a 70s proto-slasher, but it's as straight forward with the 80s genre trappings as many of the heydays, just with a 70s grind house feel. There's an amazing decapitation scene, cheesy lines (some comical on purpose, others just weird) and feels very at home with Scum of the Earth, Tower of Evil and Three on a Meathook.

9. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

Shot looks really cool, sutprised more people aren't excited for that one.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Erick H. likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Caught up with The House Of The Dead and Buddies, both of which I had never seen before.

House was a pretty cool little anthology film. It's basically the Amicus Tales From The Crypt / Vault Of Horror filtered through the Nightmare USA era regional horror filmmaking. My only problem with the movie is none of the segments go as far as they should. The framework follows a married man on his way home from a motel tryst who winds up at a strange funeral home on the wrong side of town, and the stories are the stories of the bodies in the coffins.

First story is the best, involving a mean spirited teacher who is terrorized at her home by her students. Second story is a found-footage precursor, basically the private home movies of a serial killer. The segment is engaging, but kind of pointless and without any pay-off. According to the interview with the writer, it was intended to be a commentary on the Nixon scandal and how he recorded his crimes, but this is definitely lost in translation. The third story was my least favorite, yet it has the best pay-off, involving two detectives investigating mysterious letters. The final segment is sort of a less effective re-do of the final segment from the Amicus Tales From The Crypt.

The Vinegar Syndrome disc includes two lengthy audio interviews, one with director Sharron Miller and another with writer David O'Malley. O'Malley is also the writer of The Boogens and Edge Of Honor, as well as an '80s teen comedy Snowballing from the director of Silent Night Deadly Night. He's also the writer / director of Easy Wheels, which I didn't especially care for (produced and co-written by Sam Raimi). Apparently the irrelevant Alien Zone title was an attempt to cash-in on the popularity of Alien (the added Zone being borrowed from Twilight Zone).

I liked it, even if it's pretty lite-weight. If nothing else, it's the perfect disc to break up the long wait for Code Red's Screams Of A Winter Night.

As for Buddies, this was a real surprise. I thought it was terrific. Extremely engaging and powerful, while also minimalist and brief (it doesn't even run 80 minutes). Vinegar Syndrome offers excellent extras as well, especially the not-to-be-missed interview with star David Schachter. Near the end, he opens up about the deaths of director Arthur Bressan (who died of AIDS two years later in 1987) and his co-star Geoff Edholm (who played Robert, the man dying from AIDS in the movie, and who died of AIDS himself in 1989). Movies like this are exactly why Vinegar Syndrome is the most interesting cult film label right now. The other labels are cranking out the x-th edition of movies we know, love, and have seen. Vinegar Syndrome is focusing the rarities, movies we've overlooked or sometimes have never even heard of, and giving them knock out editions. They're not all winners, but I'm way more interested in discovering films that are new to me or getting titles on blu-ray for the first time rather than re-buying the same movies over and over, most of which already have solid blu-ray releases.

MorallySound, chancetx, hots4 and 2 others like this.
  13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

https://www.facebook.com/vinsyn/pho...6442.406976869330514/2159047994123384/?type=3

[​IMG]

Edit: Link to Stanley, removed.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    satans-sadists, baggio and Kim Bruun like this.
  16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

CPT HOOK likes this.
  18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Alright VS, and I bit. :oops:

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost