Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I've watched the first 30 or so minutes of My Chauffeur. In all honesty, it is shaping up to be my favorite release by VS this year.

Katatonia and SilentScreams like this.
  2. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Never seen this, don't know how this slipped me by in the 80's but the blu-ray looks like it got a great treatment,, might have to blind buy this one.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Katatonia likes this.
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Same here. I've always loved the movie and this is probably the 4th time I've purchased it since VHS, but this is seriously one of Vinegar's best transfers to date. It's advertised as a 2k scan, but looks better than many 4k scans. Stunning.

And the fact that they actually got Deborah Foreman to do a rather lengthy interview is nothing short of amazing, and almost worth the price of the release alone.

The Director's commentary was quite good, although he's a little difficult to understand at times. I browsed through the Production Assistant commentary, which seemed to be more all over the place...albeit warned as such at the beginning.

The Slipcover looks damn sweet too. I love the fact that VS uses thicker sturdy Slipcovers, and not those flimsy pieces of crap that most labels use.

Here's another review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_77/my_chauffeur_blu-ray.htm

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    chancetx and SilentScreams like this.
  5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

From my Cinema Arcana FB page -- some more details on Vinegar Syndrome's upcoming TRIP WITH THE TEACHER:

“But sometimes things can get out of hand…” Continuing their mission to license and restore the best of Crown International’s catalog, Vinegar Syndrome have a new special edition of Earl Barton’s roughie TRIP WITH THE TEACHER (1975) scheduled for September 26th!

Stranded in the deserted outskirts of L.A. when their school bus breaks down, a group of students and their teacher encounter a gang of bikers set on harassing the young girls. When the shuttle’s driver steps in, things escalate to the point of no return -- these innocent ingénues may not make it home from their field trip the same as when they left.

A memorably mean outing—fittingly so, given the harsher direction low-budget genre cinema was moving at the time—TRIP WITH THE TEACHER showcases a particularly psychotic performance from future softcore mogul Zalman King as Al, one of the motorcyclists. Whether he’s impishly giggling or totally losing his shit, King’s acting is ramped up to Eleven in all the best ways.

Though the movie has been released a few times before, it’s always been sourced from ancient tape masters, and Vinegar Syndrome hope to deliver a definitive edition this time around. I asked Co-Founder / Director of Acquisitions Joe Rubin why they chose this title. “TRIP WITH THE TEACHER is really everything an exploitation film should be: it’s gritty, nasty and sleazy,” he explained. “But it's also very well made for its extremely low budget. Being able to restore it from the camera original and getting to learn its history from some of the key people involved, particularly director Earl Barton, has been very rewarding.”

As mentioned, Vinegar Syndrome’s Region Free Blu / DVD combo will debut a brand new 2K restoration from the 16mm A/B camera originals. An audio commentary with director Earl Barton and actresses Cathy Worthington and Dina Ousley will also be included, along with a video interview with lead actress Brenda Fogarty. Add a few trailers, television spots and a stills collection (featuring scans of the original promotional photo negatives, straight from the Cinema Arcana Archives), and you have exactly the kind of disc that fans will hopefully enjoy. “The question is: How far should a teacher go to protect her students?”

[​IMG]

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

SEPTEMBER NEW RELEASES:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    fceurich39 likes this.
  10. bruce h

Straight from my Cinema Arcana FB page -- some details for Vinegar Syndrome's upcoming Blu of ORGY OF THE DEAD (1965)!

Vinegar Syndrome’s inaugural release from the acquisition of Stephen C. Apostolof’s catalog is due this September with a newly-restored edition of his macabre magnum opus, ORGY OF THE DEAD (1965)!

A Bulgarian transplant who stumbled into the film business in the late ‘50s, Apostolof was inspired by the success of the era’s nudie-cutie movement and decided sexploitation would be a potentially profitable career move. Adopting the nom de plume A.C. Stephen, he embarked on a 20-year filmmaking odyssey, memorably including a popular series of titles with top-heavy treasure, Marsha Jordan. Vinegar Syndrome Co-Founder / Director of Acquisitions Joe Rubin had this to say about the director’s collective oeuvre: “A.C. Stephen was one of the last great directors of sexploitation. A sort of cross between Joe Sarno and David Friedman, he crafted well-made, character-driven dramas and comedies, often written by his friend, Ed Wood, and featuring many of the biggest names in late-’60s / early-‘70s sex films.”

ORGY OF THE DEAD, his directing debut, follows a couple who retreat to a fog-shrouded cemetery, seeking inspiration for a new horror novel. However, they’re soon trapped by the graveyard’s Emperor (the Amazing Criswell himself!) and his Elvira-esque mistress, who force the pair to watch a succession of spooky burlesque routines. Eventually, the mummy and wolfman show up, too. Co-starring sexploitation fan favorite Pat Barrington and written by frequent collaborator Ed Wood, ORGY OF THE DEAD is cheap monsters, topless dancers and groovy tunes – a sort of kindred spirit to Peter Perry’s KISS ME QUICK (1964). And if that ain’t enough, well, I don’t know what to tell you.

Vinegar Syndrome have given the film a brand new 2K restoration from its original camera negative, and supplemented it with several worthwhile extras, including a talk with actress / featured dancer Nadejda Klein, and an audio commentary with Wood biographer Rudolph Grey and BASKET CASE director Frank Henenlotter! It should be a great chat, and a great Blu-Ray. I asked Frank why he thought the movie was still in demand to this day, over 50 years later. His response? "Monsters. A sort-of Vampira. Criswell. Ed Wood dialogue. And a dozen topless dancers. What's not to love?"

Future Apostolof titles from Vinegar Syndrome are slated to include SUBURBIA CONFIDENTIAL (1966), DROP-OUT WIFE (1972), the uncut FUGITIVE GIRLS (1974), and plenty more. Watch this space.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    zbinks likes this.
  11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Wish I was more excited about these.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

13. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Agreed. I dig the quality of Vinegar Syndrome's output, but I'm not really excited about their latest releases or announcements.

When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory? I hope by October. :p

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Zombie Dude and Angelman like this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

SEPTEMBER releases available for PRE-ORDER:

Psychos in Love: https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/psychos-in-love-ltd/

Orgy of the Dead: https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/orgy-of-the-dead-ltd/

Trip with the Teacher: https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/trip-with-the-teacher/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Digging that Psychos In Love slipcover. Will have to order direct for that.

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I haven't had a chance to dig in to the August titles yet, with the exception of watching Michelle Maren's interview on the Throat blu.

I am looking forward to September, especially with how great those slipcovers look!

But, even though we aren't even at the end of August yet...I really want to hear some news about what's coming in October!

20. bruce h

Another exclusive from my Cinema Arcana FB Page!

"There's something deadly in the air." Cross another title off your Blu-Ray Wish List -- Vinegar Syndrome are giving Charles Philip Moore's VHS holdout DEMON WIND (1990) its HD debut this October!

Compelled by forces unknown following the suicide of his father, college kid Cory wrangles up his pals and heads to the middle of Nowhere USA in search of his grandparents’ ramshackle farmhouse – the site of their mysterious death sixty years prior. It isn’t long before our group finds out the cabin they sought is cursed—bending the rules of time, space and reality—and, as the sun sets, demonic possession becomes the order of the night. I mentioned the cabin, did I mention the ancient book? How about the mystical daggers? What about the convertible-cruising kung fu magicians, who say, “We’ll just have to go out there and kick some supernatural ass!”? Multiple flashbacks. Non-lucid dreams, sometimes of gas station nudity. Surprise booty shake. Surprise phantom kids. Surprise ghost boobs. A local bartender says, “We have beer, cake, water and goat’s milk.” One girl disappears, and no one seems to care. The macho alpha male has sorta-gay nightmares. Demon head kick. Demon dick kick. “Eat it, scumbags!” Yup, it’s that kind of movie.

An ambitious and at-times eerie low-budget horror, thematically akin to previous ventures like EVIL DEAD (1981), NIGHT OF THE DEMONS (1988) and, uh, DEAD DUDES IN THE HOUSE (1989), DEMON WIND may not be some unheralded masterpiece, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s a fun little romp showcasing abundant atmosphere, effective make-up FX and inspired stunt work; practically perfect programming for your movie night routine with the right friends and right intoxicants.

Fans have long been forced to make do with Prism Entertainment’s 1990 VHS or worse-quality import DVDs, but not anymore. Vinegar Syndrome have granted the film a full-on special edition, starting with a beautiful 2K restoration from its original 35mm camera negative, supplemented with a bevy of bonus features sure to part the horror masses with their hard-earned cash. Extras include on-camera interviews with executive producer Sandy Horowitz, actress Sherry Bendorf Leigh and cinematographer Thomas L. Callaway, an audio chat with editor Chris Roth, the original trailer, and reversible cover art. If that’s not enough, the company is also offering a limited edition lenticular slipcase, replicating DEMON WIND’s original tape release. This cover variant will only be available for purchase direct -- pre-order is slated to go live this Friday, August 25th. Street date is set for October 24th. "And now my pig, you die!"

[​IMG]