Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

DE, has one of the most disturbing death scenes.. the one with the snake in the bag over girls head. that was really brutal..

2. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

My copy of Witchtrap (and my US set of House & House II) are coming tomorrow and I am so excited.

Was this post necessary? No. Do I give a crap? No. Will I do a shitty video review of Witchtrap? Probably.

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the house double feature I am getting wishmaster collection Tuesday at my indie store

4. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

Witchtrap is another great blu from VS.

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I just got WitchTrap in the mail, along with Kino's The Wanderers.

My House set shipped from Amazon UK already, so might take a little longer to get here. But with the news that House III and IV are actually region free, it should be worth the wait.

fceurich39 likes this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Just finished Witchtrap.

I always get excited when it comes to watching 80's horror movies I've never seen and being a big fan of Tenney's Witchboard and Night of the Demons I was highly anticipating this one.

Is it as fun as those two flicks? Absolutely not but I still had a blast watching it. James Quinn's character was a likable sarcastic asshole and the movie is sprinkled with some fun gags including the Linnea Quigly shower sequence. It's not as gory as Night of the Demons but there's still some decent amount of gore throughout.

Don't go in thinking this will be as fun as NOTD and you should have enough fun with it. I certainly did.

Steel76, Angelman and fceurich39 like this.
  8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I tried liking Witchtrap but couldn't get into it. The acting is really bad for one. At first it's kind of funny but it got tiresome and annoying. The asshole cop was amusing throughout though, and the one highlight for me (besides getting some Linnea Quigley nudity). Pretty forgettable otherwise.

othervoice1 likes this.
  9. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I agree. At best I will wait for a sale on this one. But god, it is so not NOTD and let's not even try to compare it to Witchboard. F!ing love that movie. My mind was blown when I saw it in the theater as a kid. The acting is just so bad in Witchcraft. It does get some good B grade kills in, though, which is the reason I may scoop this up if the price is right. This is another film I recommend watching before buying the blu.

othervoice1 and Zombie Dude like this.
  10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I like Witchtrap. It's not Witchboard but has that trademark vibe - that spooky malicious demon thing - that makes it work.

11. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The problem with the acting in Witchtrap, is probably because the sound got fucked, and they had to dub the movie in post production.
    I don't think any of them was experienced enough with dubbing, and that's probably why it's so bad.
    I think there is one or two scenes with actual on set sound, and the performance feels better in those short spots.

But I still have a soft spot for this one, and I can't wait to see the uncut footage.
    Was this released unrated on VHS?
    I don't know if it's my memory playing tricks on me, but I remember the Swedish VHS being more gory, than what I saw on the R-rated Blu-Ray, that I got from Germany.
    But it could have been the same as with Waxwork, remember seeing gore that wasn't there ;)

x666x likes this.
  12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I watched Witchtrap and have to give credit to Vinegar Syndrome for doing such a good job on the transfer. The only other time I saw the film was back when I rented it on VHS. It was basically like watching the film for the first time as I really didn't remember almost anything that happened. Be warned, this really isn't a very good movie. The script was really bad. Every other line was either a joke or an insult. That may sound like fun but it gets old really fast. It still entertained me and I'm glad to own such a nice version.

Did anyone else get the feeling that the Tony Vicente character was modeled after Ash from the Evil Dead films? The fight scene between him and the caretaker had me laughing my ass off due to the Batman punching sound effects. Overall the blu is well worth getting but I don't think there is much repeat viewing value. There are quite a few extras which I will be watching next.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

MAY NEW RELEASES UPDATE:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

baggio, Katatonia and Harry Warden like this.
  14. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

THE HEARSE...THE HEARSE... I just creamed my paints!!!! It will be mine...yes...all mine. Love Trish Van Devere.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Pre-ordered the May Blu-ray package with The Hearse & Malibu High. I also received an email notification that the April pack could now be paid for, so that should be shipping soon.

I friggin' love The Hearse...such awesome news that this is getting a definitive edition.

baggio and satans-sadists like this.
  16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

WOW!!! I love both of these movies! If you haven't seen MALIBU HIGH before (and it looks like few have), you're in for a classic drive-in treat!

malibu-high.jpg

satans-sadists likes this.
  17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I also pre-ordered the May Blu-ray package. It's nice that Vinegar Syndrome has you "pay later" as in not until the titles are ready to ship. Been a long time since seeing Malibu High (just once I
    think). The Hearse is pretty great though. I have been watching it on the Scorpion double feature DVD with Blood of Dracula's Castle. When I heard a little while back that Vinegar Syndrome would be releasing a bunch of Crown International Pictures, one of the first films I thought of was The Hearse. Another film I'd like to see VS release from Crown International would be Land of the Minotaur (a.k.a. The Devil's Men).

Katatonia likes this.
  18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Good lord Vinegar Syndrome is knocking them out of them park with these. And it's not just the titles, it's the fact they do high quality work with the releases. Another thing I love about VS, is that they rare, in that they are a company that shows us stills of the restored movie. Truly love how they present the product on their website. Simple but you know what you are getting. Imho they deliver on all their products, they keep their release schedules promises, and they don't jerk around when they say good stuff is coming. Dying to know what those new titles are going to be.

P.S. - If I didn't see your post I would have missed my April pre order email. It went into my spam folder by accident.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    satans-sadists likes this.
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

VS shipping notice for April package today. So I got that going for me. Which is nice....

[​IMG]

Mutilated Prey and Natas like this.
  20. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I got my notice on the 7th, and was ecstatic, but I just checked the tracking and the package didn't actually go out until today. Hopefully, I will get it by Friday or Saturday.

baggio likes this.