Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

That's why I most likely will only buy certain titles. Don't want all 30.

2. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

From my Cinema Arcana FB Page -- some more details about VS' upcoming DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE:

Coming this January -- Vinegar Syndrome's new restoration of Robert Hammer's superbly sleazy slasher DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE (1980)! The hulking Nicholas Worth stars at Kirk Smith, a 'Nam vet turned fashion photographer who's seemingly unable to keep from ritualistically murdering his beautiful subjects. Regularly confessing his sins to a local radio DJ, she's soon the object of his obsessive taunting; can the police stop Smith before the station needs to place another Help Wanted ad?

Based in part on a then-current string of real life strangulation murders, the film is a grimy little masterpiece that's anchored by Worth's absolute must-see performance -- he elevates what could've been a generic genre outing to another plane altogether. Whether he's suavely seducing models, delivering riotous monologues to his not-present dad, body slamming cops on couches, having uncontrollable sobbing fits, or just pretending he's Latino, you simply can't take your eyes off of him, and his go-for-broke eagerness and commitment makes all the difference. Add in some great '80s Los Angeles locations, plenty of attractive actresses and a supporting cast of familiar faces, and you have a solidly sordid effort that deserves its place alongside other psychotic classicks like MANIAC and LAST HOUSE ON DEAD END STREET.

Fan reaction to the company's initial announcement has been mixed, primarily based around the fact that previous licensor Scorpion Releasing had already issued the film on Blu-Ray. For clarification, I asked Vinegar Syndrome Co-Founder / Director of Acquisitions Joe Rubin about their decision to acquire the title:

"I selected the Crown International titles we're doing based on my personal taste. I really, really like DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE, but when we first did our Crown deal, I didn't include it. A few months in, I was thinking about it and decided, 'What the hell, why not?' considering the Scorpion disc was limited and going out of print. After all, why should only 1,000 people ever be allowed to own it on Blu?

"However, when I looked through Crown's vault list, all they had listed on the inventory were two CRIs -- dupe negatives used for making prints. The original camera negative was nowhere to be found. I considered passing, but since it's easily my second favorite Crown film (after BLUE MONEY), I decided to research further and, completely unexpectedly, stumbled upon the original neg. With this discovery, I knew I needed to release it and also knew that I could create a restoration that was notably superior to everything else that existed -- the last HD transfer was done back in 2013 and from a CRI. So, we decided to really make this the ultimate restoration and do it in 4K, and put it on a BD-50 to maximize presentation quality and bitrate. Basically, this is the best the film will ever look."

Vinegar Syndrome's release will also come with a wealth of supplements, including the commentary track with director Hammer and journalist Shane M. Dallmann that was left off of the previous HD release, an isolated music track with Byron Allred's wonderfully trashy score, a pair of featurettes with star Nicholas Worth discussing this film and others (his last interview before he passed), a new essay from veteran critic Michael Gingold from Fangoria & Rue Morgue, along with a pressbook reproduction, theatrical trailers and assorted spots.

The BD / DVD combo is slated for release on January 31st, 2017, but you'll be able to pre-order this coming Black Friday from Vinegar Syndrome's website as part of a monthly package deal. It will also be available individually through retailers like Amazon and DiabolikDVD.com. Watch this space for links. "Adios, creep!"

[​IMG]

Nailwraps likes this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Katatonia likes this.
  5. zbinks

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Thanks!

zbinks likes this.
  7. zbinks

By the sound of things, they'll be opting for a cut of the film that more closely resembles the bootleg releases that preceded the Code Red release.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=12912536&postcount=2744

8. MrTransistor1

MrTransistor1 Member

The Undertaker (1988)
    It is going to be the complete uncensored version with all the blood and gore intact, widescreen and in high definition.
    In order for it to be the most complete version possible some bits had to be sourced from videotape.
    There have been things written about this movie that are just not true for instance that it was never finished.
    It is very much a finished movie and was rated "R".
    The Code Red version was badly done, this is going to be The Undertaker the way it was meant to be seen.

zbinks and Katatonia like this.
  9. zbinks

Store's up.

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

No kidding. This release will almost certainly make that obsolete.

I got my order in about 10 minutes ago. Glad to see the free shipping option is valid on the sale!

11. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

I dropped more money on this sale than I wanted to:eek: but I had a lot of catching up to do. Picked up all the Ltd. editions and a few blu's I missed throughout the year:D

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

zbinks likes this.
  13. zbinks

14. zbinks

15. zbinks

RE: Slasher films in the 2017 release schedule

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=12916331#post12916331

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=12920611#post12920611

RE: Horror films in the 2017 release schedule

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=12920622#post12920622

Katatonia, Angelman and Kim Bruun like this.
  16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I grabbed Undertaker. Blind buy, but I usually love VS releases!!

Angelman likes this.
  17. zbinks

18. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I ended up getting Undertaker as a blind buy as well. The later screen caps in the above review still look pretty damn good despite being from tape.

Also got Murder Weapon/Deadly Embrace, Nightmare Sisters, and Jack Frost with the funky cover. Why not?

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

20. zbinks

https://www.facebook.com/vinsyn/pho...6442.406976869330514/1454544187907105/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/vinsyn/pho...1454551934572997&comment_tracking={"tn":"R0"}