Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I figured I should make an effort to watch all the VS titles I ordered from their last sale before I receive my new order, so I watched the three films in the Forgotten Gialli vol. 1 set last week. I really enjoyed Trauma. It moved quickly, and I enjoyed how bright the whole thing was. Instead of having a large group of possible killers, this one took 2 characters and made them both seem completely nuts. So which one is it in the end? Honestly, it's not too hard to guess, but I enjoyed the ride. The Killer is One of 13 was decent, although it requires a little bit of patience to make it through the first hour before the killings start. But it's got some great actors in it - Jack Taylor, Paul Naschy, and Simon Andreu that keep it interesting. And the dinner table scene where the hostess lays out her motives is pretty great. Unlike Trauma, this one is really grey and overcast throughout, which gives it a bit of a dull, drab look. Police Are Blundering in the Dark has some great kills and some really wacky characters and pseudoscientific concepts, but it was my least favorite. It felt very messy in its construction. And the police play virtually no role in the film, which I found amusing given the title. I also thought it was interesting that all 3 of them are primarily set in rural areas, which seems uncommon for the giallo genre.

I'm really happy with the set, and can't wait to get my copy of Vol. 2.

Katatonia, russweiss and othervoice1 like this.
  2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Picked up Don't panic at my record store today. Still awaiting for my witchtrap and uninvited standard combos to ship. Any idea or guesses when Invisible Maniac is coming?

Katatonia likes this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received my shipment yesterday, which was probably the biggest box of goodies that I've ever received from VS. The amount of things (3 box sets) that were already covered in my yearly subscription this month was awesome!

Anyways, I watched Alien From L.A. last night, and I'll eternally thank VS for releasing it... the transfer looks superb, and although the bonus features were minimal, they offered solid good info regarding the film that I wasn't aware of. It is a little odd that they didn't port over the theatrical trailer from the old MGM DVD, since that's who it's still licensed from.

I'm going to dig into Surf II later... 2 different versions, a full-length making-of documentary and an Eddie Deezen commentary?!?!???

Probably later this year. I should stress that it's not absolutely confirmed that it's coming from VS, but all clues do seem to point to it being them releasing it. Regardless, it's indeed coming out by someone.

zbinks and fceurich39 like this.
  4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Received my order today. I only got the shipping notice on Thursday. Super quick. I love these guys.

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched Treasure Of The Amazon from The Cardona Collection last night, which was pretty boring for over an hour and then got fairly entertaining in the final 30 minutes.

Anyway, thanks to poking around IMDB after the fact, I realized that one of the leads (this movie has a lot of leads, as there are three plotlines going on at once) is the "sour balls" clerk from one of my all-time favorite movies Night Of The Demons. I never would have made the connection by sight.

TREASURE.jpg
    DEMONS.jpg

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

3D Film Archive did a live stream 02/06/2021 and said the following:
    00:16:00 Flesh for Frankenstein "rights tie-up."
    00:17:30 Regarding working with Vinegear Syndrome again, "Stay Tuned."
    00:28:00 Frankenstein’s Bloody Terror "rights" and "materials" issues but sounds overall promising. "Know in the next two weeks."
    01:09:50 Again, Flesh for Frankenstein "rights tie-up."

So I have some doubts the VS November 3D film will be either Frankenstein flicks since it was penciled in last November and these two titles were still up in the air as far as 3DFA were concerned.

7. fceurich39

Order still unfulfilled since I ordered on may 31 getting a little irritated. Still plan on getting 2 more titles when the site reopens if they ain't sold out of Christmas Evil and Grave Secrets.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I don't know who 3DFA is, but everything you describe above is typical speak for when someone can't announce something just yet. It's just like the days when we had DVD producers in a chat here. The only questions were "Can you release xxxxxxxxxx "? and the answers were either "No, don't have the rights" or "we'll look into that", because anything other than that immediately becomes reported as fact. Not saying this means VS is definitely releasing Flesh for Frankenstein, but doesn't mean they aren't either. VS will announce their November 3-D title exactly when they say they are, and no amount of end runs will get the information any quicker.

I only just got shipping confirmation on Thursday, and it was exactly one day sooner (post sale) than last year. They're actually pretty consistent.

9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

My order status is unfulfilled as well, and honestly, I am starting to get a little bit impatient. My main order was placed on Friday, and I then added a single title to the existing order on Sunday. I don’t know if they do them in the order they received them. If they do, late additions to existing orders may push the shipping and handling to the bottom of the pile.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

They've always been quite clear that it's subscribers first, then pre-orders, then everyone else. But they've NEVER detailed the hierarchy within those individual groups, and have been very coy about it, which my cynical nature leads me to believe it's something they don't want to disclose for fear of customers exploiting it. Like, if it's first in-first out, then everyone will overrun the site at midnight (not that they don't already). If it's last in-first out, then everyone will hold back on purchases till the very end.

I don't think it's based on time you order though. Their reluctance to tell us though, means it's something they don't want us to do (like, if it's based on order size, smaller to larger, then people will purposely make smaller orders to get them sooner. But then they'll sell fewer discs)

Kim Bruun likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

Look at Vinegar Syndrome fucking life in the gallbladder:

We know this announcement is a bit unusual, but due to the plethora of rumors and misinformation currently circulating online, we felt we should put all the conspiracies to bed and formally confirm that YES, we are going to release FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN in Real 3D & 4K UHD, under exclusive, worldwide, license from its director and copyright holder, Paul Morrissey.

Our release, which has been newly scanned in 4K from the original, 35mm over-under, Stereoscopic camera negative (which has never been accessed for any other home video edition) is being restored by the 3-D Film Archive, LLC and looks absolutely stunning. It will be released later this year.

12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

In other words, avoid the unlicensed UK / Italy Tetro Video bootleg release, like the plague.

hots4 likes this.
  13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

And of course the morons over at another message board (won't say the name) are patting themselves on the back that they somehow "forced" VS to make the Frankenstein announcement, meaning they'll only get more aggressive in their E-mail bombing of VS.

I honestly don't know why VS continues to encourage those morons (some high muckety-mucks from VS post there fairly regularly), other than that they seem to overbuy VS releases. But they nitpick every little thing, like the recent release of Alley Cat, where the accurate theatrical framing results in the loss of a boob scene. Even when corrected, they still demand a version that includes the boobs. I guess I can see it, because VS releases so few titles that include female nudity...

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yeah, in regards to the Alley Cat bitchin' going on over there it's ridiculous! Just because a previous DVD release included incorrectly framed footage that features nudity that WAS NOT supposed to be in the final product because of proper theatrical framing does not mean VS needs to issue a "corrected" disc because the new properly framed transfer omits the not-supposed-to-be-seen nudity they were used to seeing. This is definitely a case where the "the customer is always right" mentality they are whining about does not apply in the slightest.

fattyjoe37 and russweiss like this.
  15. CPT HOOK

^ Interestingly, the new Criterion blu-ray of Fast Times At Ridgemont High re-framed one specific shot to now include male frontal nudity that was originally below the frame and wasn't seen in any previous version. Code Red Bill has done this a few times as well (Caged Men and Love Me Deadly are two that come to mind).

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Wasn't the Fast Times re-frame to meet the original intent of director Heckerling though? The theatrical versions cut that out to avoid the X rating.

As for Vinegar Syndrome, just got my order last night but didn't get a chance to watch or even preview any of my haul. Mostly I just took off all the plastic wrapping. The timing of its arrival was actually perfect; Friday night is my usual "horror and exploitation" night, but I've been satisfying that with The Last Drive-In. This Friday I expect to dive into a Forgotten Giallo film or maybe something else.

fattyjoe37 likes this.
  17. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Your correct the re-framing in fast was due to saving it from an X rating

18. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

So we finally get proof of Mike Damone's little prick? :D

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Exciting news about Flesh for Frankenstein. The fact that 3DFA is working on it is truly the best of both worlds. I feel VS is willing to let it ride in order to get the best results. While nearly any other distributor would put too hard of a release date on it to allow 3DFA to work their full magic. I suspect VS sub-licensed Blood for Dracula to Severin to help cover costs. So, VS will have more in the coffers because of it.

Reading over again the problems with FFF it sounds like the close-ups are the biggest issues and not necessarily all of them. And the solution can even be to use CGI to generate the 3D image instead for the most problematic shots. That doesn't sound like 3DFA's MO, or VS's, but for a few shots not out of the realm of possibility. Including not doing anything at all. I'm willing to go with either option.

An even though they say it'll be out by the end of the year, my previous point was that FFF is not necessarily the title VS was thinking of when they announced a Nov '21 3D/UHD title last November. It could be, and now I'd say even probably it is, but it's not necessarily. So, we may get two 3D/UHD releases out of VS this year... Just a thought.

20. fceurich39

Got my 2 titles today in a box and found a surprise there also was the homegrown horrors box set which I didn't order. These 3 any good I only heard of beyond dreams door which I recognized the reverse artwork.

baggio and satans-sadists like this.