Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Got mine today, here are the alternate covers:
    [​IMG]

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I believe they own this film outright so it's pure profit if done smartly.

I'm luke warm on buying most Hollywood fair on physical media now but Tammy's a personal favorite of mine so I'll go for.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  3. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I'm not upgrading my Tammy Blu to the 4k Version. Not worth the extra $10 imho.

And quite frankly, I have no idea why Vinegar Syndrome is getting into this market. They produce incredible releases of lesser known films. It's just gonna start a chain reaction, and all the small companies will follow suit over to UHD Blu's. We'll be seeing $40-$50 releases as the new norm in no time. Trying to get the prices down, not go up.

And before anybody says I'm against technology or the best quality you can get. I'm not, but these films that come from VS, Shout, Code Red, Severin, Scorpion, etc... don't really warrant imho the red carpet treatment or the price. Unless they want to sell them at $15, it's not necessary.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Myron Breck, loutoad23, hots4 and 3 others like this.
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received my October package today... and of course all of the Slipcovers look beautiful as usual.

One of the clear cases in the "Amityville" box set was broken/shattered somehow, but the disc and cover art were thankfully okay. I contacted VS and they replied immediately that they would send out a replacement clear case, and sent a tracking # for it also. Now that's great customer service! :) I would have used one of mine if I had any...but I just can't locate an extra single clear case anywhere to use.

I'm not sure if I'll upgrade it to the UHD or not, but at least they are giving us until November 15th to decide if we want to spend the extra $10 or not.

To be honest, I can't even remember if I've actually even seen the film before. If I did, then it was a rental back in the day.

I'm surprised they are still including DVD's in the single Combo releases actually. Are there many buyers out there still who are actually using those over the included Blu-ray?

baggio likes this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Thank you! Those look fantastic.
    Well that makes more sense then. I'll still probably check the film out for curiosity purposes but I don't think it'll be something I'll like.

6. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I watch the dvds over the blus but I like having them both!

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Synapse's UHD release of Suspiria is what's really set the ball rolling. But I think the general response to VS's flash sale is what encouraged them to try it out with T&TTR.

With sales to the general public going down the market is being represented more and more by film buffs who wanted either a plethora of extras, fine tuned transfers, or both. And they're willing to pay for it. Because this isn't just a way to pass a few hours. It's a hobby. We're looking more and more at a market like we had with Laserdiscs.

I've switched now to just must own titles from distributors I trust. I make the effort to buy Mondo Macabro's Limited Editions even though I know a cheaper less flashy version will shortly follow because I want more. At the same time I've stopped buying Shout Factory because I know they don't put forward the same level of excellence that Arrow does and there's high probability Arrow (or someone like them) will have their own follow up release. If they don't then fine, in a few years a 4k or hell 8k restoration won't be far behind anyways. And if it's a title isn't a high want I'll just have to give it a pass. I've found I just don't have the time to watch them anyways.

I'm pretty much done with the merry-go-round of releases. Chasing every new extra. Chasing every new restoration. And essentially buying instead of just renting.

I've had similar thoughts. How many DVD-only buyers do they have for such niche titles. But the feedback they get must support it. I know Synapse when they made the combo move they stated it was mostly a logistics decision; less money up front and a quicker return to have one item for both buyers.

UHD releases have been forgoing the DVD disc naturally. So it'll be interesting to see the impact once those sales numbers start adding up and showing where buyers truly spend.

baggio and Zombie Dude like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Haven't seen it yet. My package from Vinegar Syndrome is due to arrive today. Don't know if I will be watching it before Halloween?

Kim Bruun likes this.
  11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I haven't gotten to the new disc yet, I'm still working on Amityville, but going from memory, it isn't very gory. People mauled by bears, claw marks, etc. There might be a few jump scares, but I don't remember a big final chase scene either.

The entire movie takes place in the woods, so expect something like Moonstalker, Body Count, etc. Only this one doesn't even having buildings, maybe a cabin or two? It's a pretty light-weight affair, but I think it's a lot of fun.

I would say it's worth it just for the homoerotic bro-montage set to the catchy tune "Cool Dude".

Kim Bruun likes this.
  12. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Now Active:

https://www.facebook.com/vinsyn/photos/a.499854336709433/2942011329160376/

...and the preorder packages contain more details including the box set revelation...

[​IMG]

13. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Never seen the Angel films. What do you guys think of them?
    The set looks pretty nice.

14. Katatonia

Very 80's and sleazy fun. Not for everyone certainly, but they have a certain charm. There's not a whole lot of continuity between the 3 films to be honest, and they each have a different actress playing the lead role.

There was a 4th film in 1994 (Angel 4: Undercover) which came around 5-6 years after the third film, which looks like won't be included probably due to rights issues. I believe it is with Lionsgate, as the first three films are with New World/Lakeshore.

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

16. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Recently watched them. They're ok but I wouldn't buy them.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

It sucks you cant buy just the Angel set without the other titles. That Amityville set looks really nice, does VS normally discount something that new during the black friday sale?

Sean

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Usually the newer releases have the smallest price drops, if at all. Black Friday "discounts" are mostly for the older titles and merch if I remember correctly. But I'm pretty sure you will be able to buy the Angel collection separately on that day, and going forward.

19. Katatonia

You'll be able to order the Angel set separately later on. This is just the 2nd flash pre-order opportunity now.

No clue if the Amityville set will be discounted this early, but I doubt it will be all that much off if it is.

20. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Very nice, I can finally retire my old Anchor Bay set of this:D There's not too many old AB discs left to upgrade anymore except for Midnight Hour which hopefully gets its due someday.