Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

wow, like what? I'll make a note to stay well away!

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I thought Blood Theatre, The Visitants, and Deadly Daphne's Revenge were all much worse than Bloody New Year. Just my opinions, but watching each one of these films to the end was torture. Horror House on Highway 5 was also atrocious.

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Thanks, I've got blood theatre saved on amazon prime, might just delete it! Ha ha

4. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

I thought Bloody New Year, Blood Theatre and Deadly Daphne's Revenge were all great fun to watch but with a certain mindset

then, I might be in the minority since I disliked Vampire Hookers, for example

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yeah one man's gold is another man's shit!

I'm joking in my previous thread, anything in my prime account will stay, I will watch, I like to hear what others think, but in the end it will never deter me from watching something, no matter how bad the comments!

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to movies like these, and can typically find some redeeming quality in them, but Blood Theatre and Bloody New Year are absolute poop. I bailed on Deadly Daphne. I do like Dear Dead Delilah though :)

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Splatter University is kind of a turkey too. Still, something about seeing these all cleaned up makes them much more enjoyable. I'd rather watch a bad movie released by VS than a lot of the bad horror released nowadays.

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I was very happy the other day to find Mausoleum has now had a wide release, from previous comments from VS I thought this was coming later in the year? Anyway I hit that order button with no hesitation, looking for to seeing this again in a nice print.

fceurich39 likes this.
  9. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Blood Theatre and Horror House on Highway 5 are intoxicating. I love those ones.

But, see, a film like Blue Vengeance I could only take in increments, and everybody seems to think that is a lost rediscovered classic now. I don't get it.

Splatter U reappraisal is next.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

We are excited to announce one of our April titles: the bloody giallo from acclaimed filmmaker Juan Antonio Bardem - THE CORRUPTION OF CHRIS MILLER! Newly restored in 4k and presented in it's original scope framing -- it's a film that we were honored to restore.

Pre-order will be up in a few days at VinegarSyndrome.com. Btw - the month of April will feature THREE brand new 4k restorations... I believe that's a new record for us.

[​IMG]

11. Body Boy

I held off watching this last fall after it was soft announced. I can't wait to see it! I hear it's more slasher than giallo, but I guess we'll find out for sure in May.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hadn't heard of this. Excited to see it as VS does few European titles but with their exemplary skills I wish they did more. Something of an honest question because I have not seen it...

Can we really call this a "giallo?"

Shot in Spain in Spanish by a Spaniard. It seems like even a Happy Days spin-off TV show could qualify as giallo if the distributor thinks it'll sell some more copies. When even something like Suspiria isn't considered giallo can we truly consider other titles that check off even fewer giallo boxes?

Body Boy likes this.
  13. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

April. It got moved up a month. Three more titles left to announce.

14. Body Boy

The giallo isn't limited to Italy. Films like The Killer Wore Gloves, Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll and The Killer is One of Thirteen all hail from Spain, but are clear gialli. Even Greece and Turkey got in on the action. As for Chris Miller, I haven't seen it, but I'm assuming it's more giallo than Suspiria. Of course, VS called Mausoleum and The Children supernatural slashers... And they're absolutely fucking not. lol

15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Giallo is kind of like the word “champagne”. A bottle of sparkling wine can be made anywhere with the same process and ingredients but it’s only really “champagne” if it’s from the Champagne region of France, everything else has to be called something else. Some vineyards in CA are allowed to call their product “California Champagne”, so you could apply similar logic and put the place of origin before the term and call this a “Spanish giallo” but, imo, not a "giallo".

16. Dianabol5mg

Dianabol5mg New Member

If it wasn't for Amazon Prime I would have blind bought it. Thank god for Amazon Prime. It saved me from a bad purchase. That's not to say, don't see it. You may like it, or you may take a bat to your television. You never know till you see it for yourself. I do believe Prime along with Shudder is the best thing going today for older horror films. I have bought so many movies and others I'm just waiting for the price to come down, because of Prime and Shudder. Because of those 2 outlets, I cannot believe how many horror films, from my youth, I hadn't seen. It's unbelievable.

17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I always felt Giallo films were essentially murder mysteries with an ever growing body count. Emphasis was placed on the strangeness and brutality of the act unlike more standard mysteries, drawing room type crime solving like Miss Marple might tackle.There would be an initial killing, an investigation (official or unofficial) would begin and more deaths would follow as the murderer's obsession drove him onward or his (or her) desire to escape detection led them to commit more and more killings, a snowball effect. Of course with Italian giallo there is usually a stylized, artistic bent involving fashion and the use of color etc. Giallo's are akin to the slightly earlier German Krimi films (mostly based on Edgar Wallace stories) though most of those were black and white. American style slashers can be similar but usually there is less interest in "solving a mystery", they are more about shock than investigation. Some of Brian DePalma's old shockers could be considered American Giallo's though, like DRESSED TO KILL or BODY DOUBLE.

baggio likes this.
  18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

We're getting away from talking about VS stuff, but the movie to me that I felt was an "American Giallo" was always Klute.

19. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Yes for horror prime is the way to go, the amount of content, a lot of it quite obscure, it's definitely worth having.

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

The April package is available for pre-order at Vinegar Syndrome.

[​IMG]

gobad2003 likes this.