Vestron Video Collector's Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. I'm going to try and hold out for another release as I don't care for the sequels either. Maybe the UK will put one out; if not a German release sounds fine.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  2. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Well, Deader was the one where they tried to make "Deader" in the film/story a movement for people who had lost all hope in life, like a religious cult. Literally translated to a journalist goes to a newspaper office doing a "breaking" story on "this trend" and everyone acts like "Deader" is both a way of life and a term that would ever become popular. It's a gigantic slap in the face to actual suicidal people, to say nothing of people suffering from depression / bi-polar / PTSD, etc. It's lame. It's annoying. It's pretentious. And it's self-serving to make the movie look like it's more thoughtful than any of the previous films in the series.

Of course, that makes sense given that all the films after Bloodline were never intended to be Hellraiser sequels- they were just abandoned shitty screenplays doctored into films where Pinhead shows up at the end to laugh and spout gibberish.

There's only one thing arguably worse- and that's when they get preachy about sinning and how you "deserve" to go to hell because you've been selfish and an anti-hero, etc. Which is basically the plot of Inferno. Plus there's that really annoying part at a gay BDSM club where the guy who works there thinks he's going to be roughed up by the main character. Surprisingly judgmental. So, a part of me always said that Hellseeker was slightly better than Inferno because at least they had a little fun with the main character before they revealed him to have tried to send Ashley Laurence to hell in his place and she instead found a way to fix that. It wasn't a preachy movie. Even though I admit the story was still pretty much garbage. And... the CGI.

Damn, this franchise SUCKS after Bloodline.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Zombie Dude

I honestly don't remember much from the sequels past 4 and I don't really care to as (like you said) they're not really even Hellraiser movies, just shitty screenplays that slapped on the Hellraiser name and added in Pinhead and a couple of other Cenobites as guest appearances.
    I still would stand by Hellseeker being the worst because it was such a massive letdown for me at the time. I had no idea about these sequels just being refurbished screenplays of other films either. So the fact that Kirsty Cotton was going to be returning to the Hellraiser universe seemed like a great thing and a return to form after the disappointing Inferno. Instead it was basically a retrend of Inferno that may as well have not included Kirsty as she's barely in it, just like Pinhead

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  4. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Can't really blame you guys for wanting to wait.......I guarantee this set will be half the price within the year, even if a solo disc isn't available yet. The sequels are shit, but I just couldn't wait for this badboy. I plan on watching part 4 on the projector this weekend with a 12 pack, hoping it will improve the experience :D

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

Honestly never made it half way past part 3. The guy they recast Divoff with was pretty badly cast if I remember. I never bothered with 4.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

4 has good tits in it...bout it.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Parents and Return Of The Living Dead 3 are both $14.99 at Best Buy, for those who complain about the prices.

rxfiend likes this.
  9. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

I'd buy Rotld 3 for $15.

10. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

[​IMG]

https://www.horrorsociety.com/2017/...ounces-release-unholy-reveals-bluray-artwork/

satans-sadists, baggio and gobad2003 like this.
  11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

• Original Ending featuring Optional Audio Commentary with Producer Mathew Hayden
    WOW! Yes.

12. Zombie Dude

The Unholy is an easy skip for me after revisiting it. It was nothing like I remember it. I found it dull and uninteresting.

Steel76 and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  13. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

This is going to be an expensive mistake for those who blind buy this one.

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Satisfied with the unholy in my lionsgate multi film DVD gonna pass as well. Man I really wish rawhead Rex would be released in this vestron series.

Workshed likes this.
  15. Zombie Dude

I agree. I haven't really been interested in most of the films in the Vestron collection which is good for my wallet at least.
    The ones that have me interested are Wishmaster, Lair of the White Worm and maybe The Gate. Never seen Parents so not sure there. The others I've rewatched on different occasions and just don't enjoy them like I used to.

16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I know it's a bit dry but I have a childhood fondness for this, plus the commentary, the Ben Cross bit and the original ending all make this one I will need.

m@ggot, gobad2003 and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, for me it was Waxwork and ROTLD 3 and then I feel the line is slowly weakening except for the Gate

18. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

WHERE IS SLAUGHTER HIGH,GHOULIES 3, AND CLASS OF 1999???!!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    rxfiend likes this.
  19. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

How is this going to be expensive :confused: All the Vestron titles so far I've paid less than $20 each except for Wishmaster , I don't think that's breaking the bank. Besides if I don't get it my OCD will go nuts because there is a hole in my collection :eek:

Angelman likes this.
  20. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Haha. I was worried about my OCD but it is waning over the years. Glad you are getting good deals on these but I definitely don't being in Canada. Even for those of you in the US, it seems like it is a tight window for the opportunity to get them cheap from the little attention I pay to US retailers.

I think what helps my OCD is that I now look at any attempts at completionism as a wasted opportunity to buy a better movie from another company. If I had Parents on my shelf in the Vestron section I would never watch it and feel bad that I didn't use that money for a better movie from a different company. So my guilt overcomes my need to have every Code Red or Vestron release. What also pushes that is my other interests. So I have to make sure that the movies I buy really count. I don't mind the cost of the Demons steelbooks from Synapse because I love those films and will watch them numerous times more in my life. So I am not cheap, either.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.