Vestron Video Collector's Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 13, 2016.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Warning. Never buy a DVD/Blu-ray with a slipcover from Best Buy and use the pick up service.

First time ever using BB pick up service. (you pay online, then your selected BB B&M will have the item there at the pick up counter) Unknown to me, that besides the Best Buy white price sticker they put a LARGE 4x4 inch white/red sticker right in the middle of every item you purchased. It's there to label pick ups. That's right, right on dam Vestron slipcover. Lucky I was able to ever so carefully take off both 4X4 stickers from my two Blu's. I did it right away in the car in the parking lot. They were freshly placed so I was lucky. The stupid BB price sticker, I'll have to work on later. The only reason I chose pick up because I would be driving right by one later in the day.

Now, I haven't purchased (non slip cover)Blu's from them in the mail in a long time. So I don't remember if they slap on a usual white price sticker. Regardless is doesn't matter, because its on the cellophane. But slip covers are another story from BB.

Anyways, thought everyone would like to know.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

What a bunch of morons. That would have pissed me right off. I would have taken it back if it was damaged by the sticker too.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  3. roderick

roderick New Member

they did the same thing when i picked up my phantasm blu ray.luckily i was able to remove the stickers without any damage to the slipcover.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yep...could have warned you about that. I've done it with them before more than once, and never will again if I know it includes a Slipcover. They almost always put that sticker crap on them when doing a store pick-up.

I hate almost everything about Best Buy "stores" too though, and rarely ever buy from them anymore. Their website ordering isn't too much better...every time I do order from them it arrives damaged. Slices down the "spines" or "backs" of products seems to be the norm with them.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Curious, what have you used to remove stickers from a surface like a slipcover? If you did at all that is. Is that Goo Gone safe? I would be afraid it might stain the paper.

6. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Try applying it to a paper towel and wipe the cardboard with the semi-soaked paper towel. (Goo Gone sort of dries out on paper towel, then just the chemicals interact with the ripped sticker glue.)

7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that to be honest. Since I made the switch to blu about 3 months ago, I've ordered 15 blu rays from bestbuy.com. Every order arrived timely and in hard cardboard packaging that's damn near air sealed. All in perfect condition. Maybe I've been lucky.

And as far as ordering online and picking up at a local store. I've done it with a tablet once and it was a fucking pain in the ass. I was better off just walking in and grabbing it off the shelf. But I live in a massive college town and college kids take up most of the retail positions locally......absolutely fucking useless.....ordering online and picking up is just relying on the competense of those re-res way too much....Never again.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Exactly. I waited (was only person on line at the pick up counter) for about five minutes for the cashier to check me out. Plus I had to give ID and sign a paper.

The only reason why I picked it up in the first place because I was going to be driving by one. Plus that store (said online) only had three copies of one and 2 of the other movie. Wasn't going to chance it not being there later in the day near closing.

9. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Try using a hair blow-dryer on medium hot or hot for short periods to get the sticker to become soft and then peel very slowly. Keep repeating until it all comes off ;). I don't trust Goo-gone because like you said it might stain through the paper.

baggio likes this.
  10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.

gobad2003 likes this.
  11. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

An update, I tried the blow-dryer method and it only helped just a little at the corners. I could definitely see that method working on most cases. But the BB stickers were REALLY on there. So after heating it up again, I used Q-Tips with a little hot water. I dabbed all over the sticker surface with the wet Q-T, kept wetting it until the sticker started becoming transparent, where you could almost see the cover art work. Then gently started pushing around the edges of the sticker with a moist Q-Tip until it all bunched up. It came off really nice, no damage to the slipcover.

gobad2003 likes this.
  12. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

Nice, I'm glad you got it off. I'll have to try the q-tip thing in the future, Thanks :)

baggio likes this.
  13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

The stickers Best Buy usually slaps on Blu-rays are easily peelable, thank goodness. The white price stickers are the ones that could be a little tougher to remove.

baggio likes this.
  14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

My indie record store got in wishmaster collection bluray

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

The Unholy (1988) is the next Vestron release. May 23rd 2017

16. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I literally just watched this again last night. I was underwhelmed as a kid and still was unimpressed last night. I highly recommend rewatching this again before buying this movie at any price.

Workshed and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. Haven't seen it myself in a long time.

x666x likes this.
  18. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

So they really are going through the films from that Horror 8-pack DVD set they released a couple of years ago. I guess 976-EVIL 2 and Earth Girls Are Easy are next. They must not have usable elements for many of their other back-catalog titles. I guess they could still use the StudioCanal stuff to fall back on but even if this were the case we would've likely seen Near Dark or even Superstition by now.

19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

^Oooh, I would love a blu of Superstition.

Every film has its audience, but the Unholy and let's say, 976-Evil 2 hardly have the popularity of Waxwork or the Gate. Some of their titles already have me perplexed. Is Vestron actually doing well?

Zombie Dude likes this.
  20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'm much more interested in The Unholy than I am in Parents, Lair of the White Worm, or Wishmaster. I haven't bought any release since CHUD 2, but I'll be getting this, no question.