Vestron Video Collector's Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 13, 2016.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

will settle with my OOP dvds of lair of the white worm and parents not getting these 2 titles on blu

Harry Warden likes this.
  2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Yeah..I've been replacing a lot of DVD's...and sometimes I found after watching the blu that I would have simply been happy with the DVD. Not all titles mind you, but a few. I am trying to be selective, but my collective nature is fighting with my conscious.:eek:

Steel76 and fceurich39 like this.
  3. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

My OCD won't let me do this now that I've started collecting the Vestron line :eek: It just wouldn't look right on my shelf.

4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

It's amazing how many of us have OCD...LOL

gobad2003 and fceurich39 like this.
  5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

But I really do have OCD! :p A lot of people just think they have it, but unless it really affects your everyday life, it can usually just be attributed to mannerisms or personal quirks.

Parents review: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Parents-Blu-ray/166694/#Review

I should receive The Lair of the White Worm tomorrow. I cancelled Parents, and am just going to wait for it to dip below $20. It's odd that Lair went down to $19.99 on Amazon as a pre-order, but Parents stayed at $25.

Harry Warden likes this.
  6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

What does everyone think a fair price for the Wishmaster set would be? Because right now its about $40. That's $10 a film. Which brings me to say, why aren't the other Vestron titles around $18? Dare I say they should be $16 for the first ones released.

8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Yep, the $40.35 price tag on the Wishmaster set right now on Amazon only makes the $39.97 price tag on The Gate seem all the more absurd. Was really hoping to see the older titles in the sub-$20 range by now but it doesn’t seem to be happening, unfortunately.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. delicreep

delicreep Well-Known Member

I had to go to Amazon to verify The Gate's price, because I was sure you had to be wrong. $40? I saw The Gate in the theater as a young teen and loved it. As a teen. I could see $20, but the movie is less than amazing, and pandering to nostalgia is not worth another $20. That is 6 bucks less than one of Synapse's steelbooks!

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I actually thought the 3rd and 4th Wishmaster's were entertaining. Just to see how the franchise pulled itself out of the absolute sewers with the Divoff shitfests to actually being generally mediocre.

I don't think I've seen Divoff in anything else. And I'm glad.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Haven't bought a single one and probably never will. The Canadian prices for these discs are astronomical. $54 for Chopping Mall!? Fuck you. No chance.

Why are these so expensive everywhere? They're some of the most overpriced discs I've ever seen.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

The Gate is also $40 CAD on amazon.ca. Bizarre that it would be the same price as the US. Which makes the US price REALLY absurd. Either way, it's too much. I stopped after Return of the Living Dead 3. If the others drop to (as people are saying) around $20, then I'll pick them up. But I'm done paying that kind of money for these releases. I want CHUD 2, and The Gate, but I can wait.

13. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Yeah, it's pretty crazy and I can't imagine anyone pre-ordering at that price. The others have dropped (albeit not as low as I would have liked...) so I'm sure this will too but it's really surprising to see such a negligible difference in price between one release from Vestron that gives you one movie on one disc and another from Vestron that gives you 4 movies on 2 discs.

14. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Frankly? It's got to be the Snowball's Chance in Hell factor. Lionsgate claimed for years that they didn't have access to good quality prints of their films and that this is why their DVD transfers were of such atrocious quality. Now they see the killing that Shout! and Arrow are making and they want in. But... they have a rather limited line of cult films people will be interested in. (Hence why they still seem to be holding onto Warlock, Ghoulies III, and the Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels for dear life.) Once they've run through their last viable 80's/90's property, what'll they have left? Maybe the next Saw movie.

If they want to keep this gravy train going, they'll have to start buying up other titles that still seem to be floating in the Region 1 ether. (*Cough* The Company of Wolves *Cough*)

15. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

He was great as the one-eyed Russian Dharma member in the TV show LOST.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I'd agree they're overpriced if the discs weren't all that but 95% of them so far are great and a lot of great work was put in the special features for the fans.

So no they're not overpriced in my eyes. Worth every penny I spent on them.

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

he is in neon maniacs plays the doctor maniac much better film

MisterTwister likes this.
  18. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I love Neon Maniacs. It's one of my favorite pieces of 80's cheese but Wishmaster is easily the better film. Neon Maniac's more entertaining? Yep. But not better.

fceurich39 likes this.
  19. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

No Canadian distribution. Amazon.ca has these listed as imports.

Edit: Thinking a little bit more about it, I think a lot of these films were previously distributed in Canada by Maple Pictures or Alliance Atlantis, so Canadian rights to these films may lie with Entertainment One, not Lionsgate.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  20. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

^I used to work for Alliance Atlantis. Yes, some of these movies were in fact distributed through AA. I even got some discounted dvds through work including the Waxwork/Waxwork 2 DVD and the Chopping Mall DVD. Alliance Films was sold to E One about 5 years ago. So it is quite feasible E One owns these now as opposed to Lionsgate in Canada.