Vertigo (1958)

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, Mar 15, 2018.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Somehow we have not just one but two threads on Frenzy :confused: but a search barely turns up anything for Hitchcock's pièce de résistance Vertigo! :eek:

And with TCM's upcoming 60th Anniversary screening now's a good time to make a thread:
    https://www.fathomevents.com/events/tcm2018-vertigo-60th-anniversary

It's been a long while since I've seen it so I'm definitely going the first night and if it's half as good as I remember I'll probably go the second night too. :cool:

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Won’t be able to make the TCM event, but I did recently rewatch this as part of a big Hitchcock retrospective I’m doing after purchasing a few box sets. I really like Vertigo, but I’m currently 15 films into Hitch’s filmography and it’s my third favorite of the lot. Psycho and Rear Window have always topped it for me. I just get into the characters and stories in those more, but the style in Vertigo is top tier. Definitely time it had its own dedicated thread.

3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Vertigo is definitely my favorite Hitchcock flick. Psycho is probably more enjoyable on a pulp level, but the personal nature of Vertigo does more for me. You can tell how well Hitchcock understands obsession. Vertigo has such a unique, haunted atmosphere. I don't think there's a better movie about the way your personal weaknesses can inexorably drag you down into the abyss. Almost every frame of Vertigo imparts tangible melancholy. You can feel the weight of the forces that compel Stewart toward his fate. Herrmann's score certainly enhances that haunting, dream-like quality.

Am I the only one who doesn't have much use for Rear Window? It's a clever piece of work, but there's an underlying phony quality that makes it play more like a stylistic exercise than a believable drama. The set seems totally artificial, and the Stewart/Kelly romance is as contrived as any relationship in any movie ever made. Her character displays more insecurity than a 300-pound bearded woman, yet she's played by Grace Kelly? Why in the world would she be interested in Stewart? And why does he constantly attempt to shake her off like she's a homely bar conquest who won't recognize her sell-by date? Isn't his character a little old to believably push her away that way? Like all Hitchcock flicks, Rear Window has some dazzling scenes--but it never manages to make me forget I'm watching a very contrived and unrealistic movie.

Stewart's Vertigo obsession with Novak is a hell of a lot more believable than anything in Rear Window. I could watch Vertigo once a week and enjoy it every time.

4. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

Vertigo has been my all-time favorite movie for years. The scene where Kim Novak walks out of the bathroom as Judy dressed up as Madeleine gives me chills every time I see it no matter how many times I see it. Herrmann's score is brilliant and beautiful. Everything about this movie is beautiful. Well, except for Midge's self-portrait, maybe. WTF was she thinking?

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I don't know why, but Vertigo just doesn't do it for me. And I LOVE Hitchcock. Not just his more horror-oriented stuff like Psycho and The Birds, either. I always liked his "wrong man" movies like The 39 Steps, the criminally underrated Saboteur, and of course North by Northwest. Vertigo just left me flat, and I've seen it several times.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I've seen this film twice in the theater and would love to catch the screening (I caw PSYCHO and REAR WINDOW's Turner screenings at AMC).Sadly I am nine weeks into a very slow recovery from an illness and doubt I will be able to attend. Pity as I was really looking forward to it.