V/h/s (2012)

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG]

Source: indiewire.com

Sounds good, doesn't it? Personally I love me some early hype.

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Saw it tonight and loved it! V/H/S is one of the best found-footage horror films I have seen, if not the best. It’s a very creative and fun anthology film. There’s not a weak story in the bunch. It is pretty long too, it was going on 2:30AM by the time the movie got out. It gives each story a chance to fully develop.

The opening scenes are really obnoxious, it is basically just these guys running around smashing stuff. Even though the movie starts out pretty rough, stay with it. I was hooked by the end of the first story.

I’m going to go into a little detail as to what each of the segments are about, but I’ll avoid any spoilers. I have no idea who directed what.

The wrap-around segment involves a group of men who are being paid to break into a house and steal a VHS tape. Once inside, they find the dead body of an elderly man surrounded by numerous tapes. Each time they plug a tape in, it jumps to one of the segments. This was my least favorite of the segments. It gets off to a very rough start, but it does end extremely well.

The first segment is about three friends who get more than they bargained for when they try to lure a girl back to their hotel room in order to videotape her without her knowledge. This is by far the most extreme of the segments in regards to both violence and sex. Like the wraparound, it starts out a little rough, but about halfway through it grabs you by the throat. Definitely one of the stand-outs!

The second segment also takes place primarily in a hotel room. This one follows a couple on vacation, who notice a strange girl lurking outside their motel room. This one is kind of like The Strangers in a motel. I’m guessing this is the one Joe Swanberg directed, as he stars in it as well.

The third segment is a backwoods slasher. Four friends go into the woods and… we’ll just leave it at that. Fun segment, but not my favorite (which is surprising, because I’m all about the backwoods slashers). I really liked the characters in this one.

The fourth segment seemed to be the audience favorite, because it definitely got the most crowd reaction. This one is filmed entirely via Skype, where a boyfriend talks to his girlfriend as she experiences paranormal activity in her apartment. Very strange twist in this one, I wasn’t sure what to think about it. But it definitely has some very effective scares. It doesn’t make a lot of sense that a Skype conversation would be recorded onto a VHS tape, but this is easily overlooked for the sake of entertainment.

The fifth and final segment was my personal favorite. Four friends head to a Halloween party at a creepy old mansion, but when they get there they find the house seemingly vacant. Are the strange occurrences in the house a Halloween prank, or is there something in the house with them? Very playful and fun segment, I really enjoyed it!

Overall, the movie does a really good job toying with the experimental nature of the found-footage genre. Nowadays, computer effects really take away some of that movie magic, but there are a lot of effects here that look so convincingly practical that I was wondering how they did it. It is extremely impressive, especially combined with the long takes. Even though you’ll catch occasional shades of other films in V/H/S, its creativity and originality makes this essential viewing for all horror fans.

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Saw it as well. For a found footage film, it was very well done and actually had graphic violence. Interesting stories to boot.

4. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Mixed bag for me. First, fourth and fifth weren't bad, second and third were pretty awful. Especially the third, the one with the friends in the woods, I couldn't believe how terrible the acting was. The second, the one with the couple on vacation ended too abruptly with not much of a worthwhile 'payoff' for the 10 minutes of setup. The 'main story' that ties them all together is pretty flimsy and predictable as well. Not bad, but certainly nothing special.

5. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

OK not to thrilled with your review. :(

6. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

7. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Really? Didn't know that. All of them? Luckily I do not watch You Tube videos as they definitely ripped these off. Sucks.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

You are on the money, Dobby. I thought I was up on my shit. Can't believe I had no clue. And yes, I hate rip off artists, too. Now I am pissed at these guys.

9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Rip off or not I still enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the hype said it was or the trailer I saw but I liked it.

10. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Watched this today and loved it. Easily the best horror film of the year imo. I enjoyed all the segments to different degrees With 1 and 4 being strongest and 3 and 5 being the least effective. As for the youtube videos all i see is that they might have borrowed a couple of scare ideas. I guess we better discount Carrie for borrowing from Deliverance or Halloween from Black Christmas Cabin in the woods from every horror film in history or Tarantino's entire filmography ect.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  11. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

12. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

This is showing on HDnet movies on October 3rd.

13. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Loved it!!! I honestly can't see any other horror film this year topping it. For those of you who are not fans of the "found footage" subgenre, this won't do much to change your mind. But if you are a fan, like me, this is everything you could want.

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I had mixed opinions about this. I didn't like the way they ended most of the stories. They felt too abrupt for the most part.

Spolier:
    Also, what was with the wrap around story not wrapping around? It ends with the second last story and then randomly we're watching the last story which is one of the better ones in the mix.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Bump for tonight's showing on HDNet Movies. It seems to be getting a mixed response on this site from those who have already seen it, so maybe it's best to watch it for free...

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Didn't really like the movie. Word to the wise, make sure you use Dramamine if you intend to see it.

17. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

The first story, awesome... second and third are garbage... the fourth one was good, the last one the best imo, fun anyway... and the wraparound stuff goes nowhere... just ends before the last bit... *shrug*

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Gave this a second viewing and I thought it held up very well. It's definitely my favorite anthology to come out in a long time.

I would rate the segments.

Tape 56 (wraparound (6.5/10)
    Amateur Night (9/10)
    Second Honeymoon (7.5/10)
    Tuesday the 17th (7/10)
    The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger (8/10)
    10/31/98 (8/10)

Overall about 8/10

19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Digging it. Watching it on my phone right now. The first segment (not the guys with bats) was really good. You know what's coming... and it still works.

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I have been pumped to see this one for a while now. It has been getting mixed reviews, but for the most part they have been positive. One of my good friends who is into horror flicks as much as I am really enjoyed it as well, so I had somewhat high expectations. That and I love anthology films, and even if they are getting a little stale now, I tend to like most found footage films.

Having said that, I thought this movie was for the most part terrible. The camera shakiness was some of the worst I've seen, the acting was not good, none of it really felt like or made sense to be on VHS, and every story felt like I could have filmed it over a weekend. I know this film had a low budget but I really don't know how it cost more then food and a few brews for the actors. And you know what, I would be willing to let all the go if the stories were any good, unfortunately they are not. They don't even have good endings which is something even bad anthology flicks can usually get right.

Lets dig into the stories.

Tape 56 - The wrap around story is awful, pointless, and contains some of the most obnoxious and annoying characters I've seen on film. They could have went so many ways with the wrap around and this is the best they could come up with? Actually complaint pretty much fits all the stories here. Is this really the best these Directors could come up with? Skype on VHS, really?

Amateur Night - The first story is okay I guess, but again the characters are really annoying, and it's shot terribly. I give credit to the main actress as she delivers the perfect amount of weird/ creepy, and has a unique look. The gore was decent but not much of an ending, a problem with most of these.

Second Honeymoon - The second story had a decent set up, and a creepy moment or two, but was overshadowed by the ending when it is explained what is actually going on. Yawn. What's really saddening is this was directed by one of the better horror Directors out there right now, Ti West, who up until this point had a perfect record with me.

Tuesday the 17th - The third story in the woods used a cool effect to show the killer, but everything else was just awful. This was painful to get through and was just really dumb.

The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger - The fourth story had again not much happening. It wasn't scary, and the ending was not good.

10/31/98 - The last story was the only saving grace of the film, even if it made no sense why the tape was playing. This one was actually well done with some cool effects, decent scares, and okay dialogue/ acting. Although again it wasn't perfect. The rednecks doing the exorcism were just goofy and cliche. And the ending again wasn't much of a payoff. It was fun, but when you actually take a look at what the plot, there really isn't one. And come on, I find it hard to believe they would get that house mixed up for a house throwing a Halloween party.

I'm really surprised by all the praise this one is getting. Unlike a lot of other found footage films, not one of the stories here was the least bit frightening. And as an anthology film it failed miserably as well, as the stories were all pretty much plotless without any good surprise endings which should be a staple for this type of flick. Recently reading a few members thoughts on the Tales from the Crypt series really made me appreciate that so much more, as even if the stories or acting weren't always the greatest, they at least would put a grin on my face with their endings. Apparently the sequel to this, S-VHS, is getting more praise. Even though this one was pretty much abysmal, I'll give the sequel a chance and hope for the best.

I give this one a 3.5/10, as the last story was at least worth a watch.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013