Upgrade (Leigh Whannell / Blumhouse) - June 1st

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, May 23, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I thought there was a thread for this, but I couldn't find it. Big hit on the midnight festival circuit.

Now that all the boring Avengers and Star Wars stuff from May is out of the way, June brings two great weekends in a row with Upgrade and Hereditary!

Hits theaters on June 1st.

Written and directed by Leigh Whannell (Saw, Insidious).

fceurich39 likes this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Saw the Red Band trailer a while back, and it looks brutal as fuck :)

3. CPT HOOK

Seeing this in about an hour.

Anyone going this weekend?

Natas likes this.
  4. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Just watched the red band trailer, looks great, love the first fight scene when the A.I. takes over, good stuff, I'll be looking out for this in the UK.

5. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Nice! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Catching Action Point tomorrow night with the wife, but I might go see this solo at some other point during the weekend.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

Strangely, there was no Thursday night screening of Action Point here, only Adrift and Upgrade. I'm planning on catching a matinee tomorrow.

As for Upgrade, I'm pretty easy when it comes to this stuff, so I did like it, but didn't love. Was hoping for a non-stop action movie ala John Wick, but there's really only 4 brief action scenes and they're all kind of shown in the trailer. The plot is pretty basic, so the stuff in between felt a bit drawn out.

That said, I really loved the ending. But when all was said and done, the entire movie felt like just a long set-up to a bigger and better movie. I hope there's a sequel, because I want to see that movie.

Being Blumhouse, was hoping for a Halloween trailer, but no dice. They did have one for the new Unfriended though. Not sure if that trailer has hit the net yet.

chancetx and fceurich39 like this.
  7. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of what you said, CPT HOOK, but you were more generous in your review. I guess I'd say while I didn't hate it, I didn't really like it much either. Throughout the movie I was thinking it would have been better either condensed to a shorter format, like a Twilight Zone episode, or expanded to a Westworld or Mr. Robot type series. I, too, was hoping for more action and humor.

The trailer gave away all the best parts and what was left just felt underdeveloped. I actually got impatient during the chase scene because it felt like filler. I just felt like Whannell took elements from so many other movies but didn't really improve on any of them so it was disappointing. You're absolutely right that a sequel could do a much better job of developing what was introduced here into a much more satisfying story.

On the plus side, the theater I saw it in was packed. Nice to know audiences are still interested in movies other than Marvel and Star Wars.

CPT HOOK likes this.
  8. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I really liked this one. It had an 80's vibe to me. I was reminded of the original Terminator but can't really pin down why. At 95 minutes the film doesn't overstay it's welcome and I just found it entertaining. While there wasn't a great deal of violence it almost seemed like there were cuts during a few of the scenes. Perhaps that was just the way it was filmed. Very glad to have seen this on the big screen and look forward to the blu release.

The Unfriended trailer looked pretty bad. I didn't see the first film and this one didn't really get me interested.

9. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Will probably get the bluray that comes out next week from universal but it is bare bones no extras!

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I really didn't enjoy this one like I thought I would. I'd only heard people talk about how good the trailer looked and seen a few short snippets here and there but never sat through the whole trailer as I'd already put it on my radar.
    After seeing it I can definitely say it wasn't as fun as the premise had me believe. It was far darker and depressing than I was expecting I really didn't like the way it ended as well.
    I was expecting something more in the vain of John Wick where it starts on a more depressing note but the becomes more of a fun revenge tale with great Action. This was sadly not that which is ok I guess but also not my cup of tea.

11. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Man, I really really dug this. I suppose I can see where expectations could have diminished results for some folk. But I was really happy with this. And I actually really liked the bleaker tone. I don't want to comment much on this as I don't want to spoil any surprises for those still intending to see it. Suffice to say
    it plays like out like an action oriented Black Mirror episode
    And, while many of the plot twists are easy to see coming, I still didn't quite expect it to end the way it did. Yeah, it's not John Wick, but I still thought the camerawork and choreography were inventive and kept me hooked. And, while there isn't really a lot of action, I thought that what was there was well handled and appropriately paced. And, the sci-fi, which really is the main genre of the film, was interesting enough. The lead comes off a bit like a lower-tiered Tom Hardy (would I think that if it wasn't for Venom?) but i still thought he did a good job of carrying the film. As to that 80s vibe, I kept thinking that this is what an Albert Pyun film would be like if it actually was good.

Overall, I thought it was a really good film. Yes, it's absolutely B-level. But, it has what makes B-level films worth seeking out. It's that purity of focus. It has enough ideas to be fresh (even when borrowing from other films) but never tries to extend beyond its capabilities. While it's not quite as good, this would make a great double feature with Dredd.

12. CPT HOOK

The Upgrade blu-ray is currently on sale for $13.99 at Best Buy and Amazon.

Even though I wasn't crazy about the movie, I picked it up anyway. I could see myself enjoying it more the second time, now that I know what I'm walking into.

13. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I believe I only saw a bit of the trailer for this one. But the lead actor was in Prometheus and an older cop tv show. Plus he's in a another small private party type horror movie I want to check out. I saw Upgrade was on cable and short so I checked it out.

I liked it. It's a dark cyberpunk type movie with horror type deaths. In many ways the military elements in Upgrade show up in series like Ghost in the Shell. I was surprised by the ending. I guess because I was so into the story and characters.

There is a red herring that got me and I forgot the theme of so many of these movies when they were released. So if I watched it back when it was released maybe it wouldn't have surprised me. Still I think the movie is well made and hides a lot of the current level of technology. To me it just seemed like self driving cars, home systems, and drones. Along with some futuristic buildings. With the majority of truly high tech improvements going to the military which weren't seen directly until the killers show up. But the twist is where I thought the Alien series might go in that Alien Covenant topic.

I was disappointed by the corporate security. You would think they would have some kind of upgrades. But they seemed to be normal people. Which makes you wonder about the larger world and conflict that the military soldiers are facing.

Thinking about it, I realized that during the chase we get a tell of who is behind the killing when STEM hacks a self driving car which I believe is the same as the one in the opening.

The movie made me remember the world of the original Robocop. I wish that maybe we got to see a few minutes with the wife at her job. Perhaps get a news report or two. To better establish the world and see the companies behind all the technology.

I would recommend people checking this one out. It didn't make as much as movies from the same producer. I guess futuristic type movies are a tough sell.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  14. ImmortalSlasher

Just in case I'll use the spoiler again.

The movie does feel a bit like something in Twilight Zone with the twist. Or 80s and Terminator because of the dark cyberpunk stuff going on when you get into the darker sets. And Terminator has that dark twist. Honestly I always thought Terminator was like Twilight Zone when you realize that the future will happen at the end. And if people watch Terminator 2 closely, it's still a dark twist movie as Arnold's Terminator leaves a bit of his arm in that gear. I've been waiting on Cameron to follow up on that. And I wonder if the next movie will pick up on it since all the hack directors after T2 have made dumb action movies.

15. CPT HOOK

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

17. ImmortalSlasher

Could be good or bad. But I do think a movie would be better as well. It reminds me of Minority Report that got a TV series. I still want to check that out. But I didn't like the Minority Report movie that much and thought a TV show might be better for that one. And it had the voodoo girl from Venom.

fceurich39 likes this.