Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Wow. 2 new interviews? That's disappointing. I would have been interested, despite how terrible the film is, if there was a significant exploration of what had gone on during the making of it. This is a very easy pass.

2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Better this than what Echo Bridge released (sorry guys).

fceurich39 likes this.
  3. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Escape From New York 4K's listing has been updated to include the following (I've bolded what they added):

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/escape-from-new-york-collector-s-edition-1?product_id=7801

"Bonus Features
    DISC ONE (4K UHD):

• 4K Restoration By StudioCanal
    • NEW Dolby Atmos Track
    • NEW Restored Original Stereo Track
    • Audio Commentary With Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
    • Audio Commentary With Producer Debra Hill And Production Designer Joe Alves
    • Audio Commentary With Actress Adrienne Barbeau And Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
    DISC TWO (BLU-RAY):

• 4K Restoration By StudioCanal
    • NEW Dolby Atmos Track
    • NEW Restored Original Stereo Track
    • Audio Commentary With Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
    • Audio Commentary With Producer Debra Hill And Production Designer Joe Alves
    • Audio Commentary With Actress Adrienne Barbeau And Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
    • Trailers From Hell – Filmmaker Neil Marshall On ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK
    • Purgatory: Entering John Carpenter's ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK
    • Radio Spot
    DISC THREE (BLU-RAY):

• Big Challenges In Little Manhattan: The Visual Effects Of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK
    • Scoring The Escape – A Discussion With Composer Alan Howarth
    • On Set With John Carpenter – The Images Of ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK With Photographer Kim Gottlieb-Walker
    • I Am Taylor – An Interview With Actor Joe Unger
    • My Night On Set – An Interview With Filmmaker David DeCoteau
    • Deleted Scene: The Original Opening Bank Robbery Sequence With Optional Audio Commentary
    • Return To Escape From New York Featurette
    • Theatrical Trailers
    • Photo Galleries – Behind-The-Scenes, Posters And Lobby Cards"

Katatonia, Colin and russweiss like this.
  4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Night Creatures review, with screenshot comparisons: http://www.mondo-digital.com/clegg.html

Darker and differently framed than the UK Indicator release... it does look superior, at least judging by those few examples.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    russweiss and Steel76 like this.
  5. Katatonia

New titles are up:

THE FUNHOUSE 4K UHD + Blu-ray: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-funhouse-collector-s-edition-2?product_id=7825

[​IMG]

DOG SOLDIERS 4K UHD + Blu-ray: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/dog-soldiers-collector-s-edition-uhd?product_id=6926

[​IMG]

CAT PEOPLE 4K UHD + Blu-ray: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/cat-people-collector-s-edition-1?product_id=7827

[​IMG]

FIRE IN THE SKY Blu-ray: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/fire-in-the-sky?product_id=7826

[​IMG]

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Holy shit!
    I didn't expect a UHD of Funhouse :)

Colin and Katatonia like this.
  7. Katatonia

I somehow had a feeling it might...

Kind of related: the idiots from Buysoundtrax sent me the "Promo" Soundtrack CD of The Funhouse (signed by John Beal) not too long ago, even though I ordered something else... which they never sent. Damn morons, I order 3 specific CD's on a sale, and they sent me 2 different random items. That has to be the most inept company I've dealt with... ever. Every order I've ever made with them there has been some kind of problem, but this time they basically just ripped me off. After getting the runaround for months, I had to do a chargeback to get my money back recently. At least I got The Funhouse CD out of that mess. :mad:

Dog Soldiers is also coming out on 4K from Second Sight in the UK, also in June I believe. It'll be interesting to see what the differences are between them.

Cat People should be a nice upgrade. I never even bothered with the Blu-ray since it was an older transfer DNR'ed to hell.

As for Fire in the Sky, I already have the Australian Blu-ray from Imprint which is stacked with bonus features. I don't know if Shout will be able to license those or not, since they were apparently exclusives produced by Indicator. Knowing Paramount though, I'm sure the transfer will be the same one... which while older, still looked quite good.

Steel76 likes this.
  8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

If anyone planning on upgrading Funhouse would like to unload their Scream! Blu-ray, send me a PM. :)

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Seems like most of Scream's output for the forseeable future will be 4K upgrades of their former releases. I might get The Funhouse simply because of how much I love the movie, but meh.

Dog Soldiers needed the upgrade. Scream's old blu-ray looks terrible. That said, I don't think I care enough about the movie to buy it again.

I had to laugh though, one of the comments on Scream's Dog Soldiers announcement is from one of the film's producers:
    Brian Patrick O'Toole - It's a shame no one ever returned my emails at Scream Factory. As a producer on the film I have so many extras fans would probably like such as a director's cut, storyboards, dailies, marketing for the film, never before seen photos, the scripts I wrote and Syfy approved for the sequels, a video game spec. Maybe for the 25th anniversary edition...

Myron Breck, dave13, buck135 and 5 others like this.
  10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm relieved by this. I have such a backlog of titles (many from Scream Factory) that I need to work my way through, I could use a break from the temptation to keep picking up all the titles I'm interested in. I bought Alligator and The Sword and the Sorcerer since those were the only available releases, but otherwise I have no interest in buying UHD titles. So this new direction represents a relief to my wallet, and also a chance to make some progress on my embarrassingly extensive shelves full of "yet-to-be-watched" purchases.

11. Katatonia

Roger Corman Birthday Sale going on currently at Shout: https://www.shoutfactory.com/sale/roger-corman-sale

I'll have to grab something and finally pair something to order Meatcleaver Massacre. ;)

X-human likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

I watched Communion last night and in the extras the director seems to take credit for creating the grey alien look. I think he said Communion was the first movie to depict aliens this way and then throughout the '90s that alien look was all over keychains and posters as a result.

Surely he's just jerking himself off here? Communion can't have been the first, right? I'm drawing a blank.

13. Katatonia

It could be. I can't really think of any off hand coming before that with the atypical "Grey" face + large slanted black eyes. I don't know if he's right, but I can't really think of any with that distinct appearance before.

The Communion book by Strieber was pretty much the first time the general public was exposed to the "Grey" alien face look though. I remember buying the hardback book when it first came out at my local Walden book store in the mall, and I was like 12 or 13 years old then. It was terrifying to look at the cover painting, and terrifying to read the book back then. There weren't all that many famous "abduction" stories back then, at least beyond the Barney & Betty Hill and Travis Walton ones.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Close Encounters had stereotypical grey's didn't it?

zbinks likes this.
  15. Katatonia

Sort of... but they had the more levelled "smaller" eyes (without a sinister appearance) and didn't look all that different to what had come before. The sinister large, slanted, elongated black eyes in the Communion book + movie was kind of new as far as I remember.

16. CPT HOOK

I mean, Without Warning has that general idea, but it isn't simplified in the way Communion and X-Files ran with.

I feel like there has to be some 50s or 60s sci-fi movie with little people in grey suits.

17. Katatonia

There were, even in the original Outer Limits. But either they looked corny or like fake imagined monster heads, and not very "thin" unless they were models or stop-motion.

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

the-man-of-the-year-million.jpg

russweiss, Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  19. Katatonia

^^ yeah, that doesn't look anything like the greys in Communion though, to me at least, with the extra large slanted black-as-coal eyes, razor thin nose and mouth opening. It was just sinister on the original book cover painting.

There were similar, but I still can't think of anything close that came before.

[​IMG]

zbinks likes this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I see what you're saying, and if you focus on the black almond eyes then yes that's about the first version I can think of. Considering how that version became the dominant one I can see why he'd say that.

My memory of Close Encounters is fuzzy, as it's been awhile, but they were lit in such a way as to have black eyes. The Cantina Band in Star Wars is close too; and I think a literal "grey" is in the bar somewhere too (so's a werewolf and giant rat, weird shit). But still, if after 10 years that's hardly made a splash in terms of depiction and then almost over night after Communion every alien looks that way I'll give it to him. Could just as easily credit the book but I wouldn't quibble.

Invasion of the Saucer Men is goofy but close. They're the right shaped eyes but not black.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
    Katatonia likes this.