Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

My parents took me and my sister and brother to see King Kong at the drive-in movies. I couldn't have been more than six years old and I remember being excited to see it but fell asleep. Never have tried rewatching it in all these years. My parents hated it and mom has never warmed to Jessica Lange in all the years since.

Katatonia, Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  2. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

This kills me! OK, I have to admit I also cried in Snoopy Comes Home when Snoopy ran away from Charlie Brown. I haven't seen Kong in many years but I do remember even as a kid thinking the blue screen was Land of the Lost bad, the rubber snake was ridiculously fake and the giant statue in the cage was even worse. I just remember being terrified of the original Kong but finding Rick Baker's version to be more like a giant lovable pet. And to this day I love John Barry's score. I think it's one of his best. I could be wrong, but I felt that Peter Jackson lifted a lot of subtle elements of the '76 Kong for his version and it seemed that the critics praised Jackson's film for a lot of the same things they bashed the '76 version for. I think I'm going to need to see this "piece of shit" again.

othervoice1 likes this.
  3. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I saw a picture from King Kong 76 once. But never checked it out. I think I have to now. It can't be that bad. I enjoy the island adventure aspect of these King Kong movies. Once they capture King Kong and return to the city I tend to check out.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

The other disappointment with Kong 76, is that it lacks the epic mayhem of the original. The fight against the monsters on the island, and the rampage in New York is much better in the original.
    I mean just look at this shit:

It just looks like one of those cheap italian knockoffs in comparison :D

And god damn Lange is annoying. Fucking braindead bimbo. I wanted Kong to squish her. :D
    This was often the problem with adventure movies, when they had to include annoying bimbo sidekicks.
    Kate Capshaw in Temple of Doom and Sharon Stone in the King Solomon Mines movies, are examples of bimbos I wanna reach into the screen and strangle.

Fay Wray's character might not have been the brightest one either, but at least she was likable.

KGBRadioMoskow and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Man that looks fucking terrible. Is Kong ready to go trick or treating in that suit?

Steel76 likes this.
  6. ImmortalSlasher

Hilarious. I watched the first two seconds of that video and Kong just strolls up to that building like a person in a Kong suit.

I need to go to the zoo again. I haven't been in a while. But I always enjoyed watching the gorillas. I would try to go to the outdoor zoos. Stuff like this pisses them off.

There was a good video in the jungle when people attempted to return or see a gorilla baby. The guy said the forest got quiet. And then the gorilla came out of nowhere and attacked.

Animals are funny like that. People too. Sometimes it's very quiet before an attack.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

King Kong caps-a-holic comparison:
    https://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=5903

Basically the StudioCanal master with less (maybe no) DNR. :)

and one for Eyes of a Stranger:
    https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=15898&d2=15899&c=6039

Plus a review for Explorers Collector's Edition:
    https://highdefdiscnews.com/2021/05/17/explorers-collectors-edition-blu-ray-review/

And now available (both limited to 1,500 units); Big Bad Mama 1 and 2:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/big-bad-mama-big-bad-mama-ii-double-feature?product_id=7590

and Crazy Mama/The Lady In Red:
    https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/crazy-mama-the-lady-in-red-double-feature?product_id=7593

chancetx and Katatonia like this.
  8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Kim Bruun likes this.
  9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Paff likes this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Crap. Might have to jump on both of those.

The Lady in Red is just about everything you could possibly want in an exploitation film. It literally checks all the boxes. Violence? Check. Nudity? Check. Crime? Check. Women in prison? Check.
    Oscar winner in the cast, plus Christopher "Doc Brown" Lloyd as a sleazy gangster, and Robert Forster in an uncredited but bad-ass role. And the usual Corman gang, with Dick Miller and Mary Woronov in smaller roles.

Big Bad Mama? Um.....well it's got a topless scene with Danielle Brisebois (from All in the Family) if that's something you've been curious about...

baggio likes this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

That would be Big Bad Mama II. Danielle was very underage at the time the first film was made.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

True. I realized that after I posted it, I was referring to the two Big Bad Mama films as a whole. But yes, it's only in BBM2.

Is there any way to get some kind of discount on these discs or am I stuck paying full price? I've never bought these Shout double-secret limited editions before.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Going by previous Shout Exclusive sales, these are the prices unfortunately. They usually sell out too. Some faster than others. I just placed an order for both Blu's myself.

As for Big Bad Mama I. There's some nudity in that film from what I remember. or maybe that was sex scenes. I forget now.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I pulled the trigger too. Cuts into my budget for next week's Vinegar Syndrome sale.

There's a huge time gap between Big Bad Mama and Big Bad Mama 2 (tacking onto Satans-sadists' post, it actually might have been ok to show a topless Danielle Brisebois at the time Big Bad Mama was made, 'cuz I think she was still in diapers at the time!!). The first one is 70s era grindhouse fare, but the second is clearly aimed at the late 80s Friday night Cinemax audience. Big disparity in those two eras of film!

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Pretty sure Angie Dickinson and both of her daughters get nude in the first film. Been a while since I last watched, but it may be a family affair.

baggio likes this.
  16. ImmortalSlasher

Sounds like that funny scene in the Machette trailer. I still haven't seen that movie.

baggio likes this.
  17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Meh. It's good, but not as good as the trailer would lead you to believe, which I guess is par for the course in grindhouse cinema. And I always thought the funnier version of that scene (Machete with the daughters) was when the nudity was obscured with the black boxes. I only saw that once, when Tarantino and Rodriguez were presenting at Comic-Con. Every time I've seen it since, the nudity is there. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing two topless women, but with that 70s-inspired censorship it was outright hilarious.

By the way, I got the timeline on Big Bad Mama/Big Bad Mama 2 wrong; the first one came out in 1976. For some reason, I thought it was like 1971. It's still entertaining that in the sequel, 11 years later, the daughters are still teenagers. Robbie Lee (Switchblade Sisters) played one in the first film, in the second it's Brisebois and the stunningly gorgeous Julie McCullough

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  18. ImmortalSlasher

I think I only saw the nude version of the Machette trailer. I still think Grindhouse was a good project. I remember Tarantino saying something about how people didn't get it. Or that they left the theater after the first part.

I guess I'll do a double feature one day on Big Bad Mama 1 and 2. Cast is pretty good. I still haven't seen Switchblade Sisters either.

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I hope they retain the "grindhouse" option on BBM like they have on the DVD; the movies are shown back-to-back, with other Corman exploitation trailers shown in between.

20. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

So has anyone here got the shout 'eyes of a stranger' disc? If so can you confirm if it's uncut or not. I've just seen the back sleeve and it features the R symbol. I know you can't take that as a true indication but I feel if it was uncut they would be making more of a shout about it. I don't want this if it's cut it's pointless.