Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’ve seen it multiple time in 3D. Trust me, mine is working.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. Was able to get mine through no problem and my set hasn't even got to me yet!

fattyjoe37 and Katatonia like this.
  3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Mine uploaded and submitted just fine with no problems. I got the "thank you" screen after submission. Did anyone get an email confirmation? I thought I received one before with previous Shout replacement discs from that website, but can't recall if you got the email right away or later.

At least Shout are fixing them... but they should have just had more quality control in the first place. It probably would have been far cheaper for them also.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

You won't receive an e-mail yet. This is what appears on the page after the replacement is ordered: "You will receive an email when the disc ships; you will not receive an email after completing this form. "

Katatonia and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. Christy

Christy Active Member

[​IMG]

Mutilated Prey likes this.
  6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I just finished watching the first 5 films of the series. With the exception of Part 3 they were all really good picture quality. Not sure what happened with the transfer for the third film but it was soft and out of focus in a lot of scenes. It had been a long time since I've watched any of these films and have to say I had a blast revisiting them. I invited a friend over, we ordered pizza, then sat in front of the TV all day. I've only watched a few of the extras (deleted material for Part 2 and Final Chapter). The first two films were my favorites and surprising to me I liked Part 3 the least. My recollection of A New Beginning was that it was the worst but it didn't work out that way for me today. I'm going to attempt to complete the rest of the series over the next several days.

Colin, wago70, sinister and 1 other person like this.
  7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It has always looked that way. It has to do with the cameras they used.

I could be misremembering this, but I seem to recall hearing that it was shot with two cameras side by side, essentially being a left eye and a right eye. But the interesting thing is the original DVD used the negative from one camera, while the Deluxe DVD and blu-ray used the negative from the opposite camera. So if you watch the first DVD vs the Paramount blu-ray, you will notice a slight focal difference between the two versions.

wago70, russweiss, hots4 and 3 others like this.
  8. Christy

Christy Active Member

Saw this synopses posted elsewhere with a massive update. Here's the video already posted few pages ago.

These guys aren't involved with the physical manufacturing of the sets etc, so the current disc issues were glossed over. They were more involved with creating the extras and getting people involved.

Took a while to get going, but there was some great information and stories in there.
    A lot of it was not just Fri 13th related eg location features for I Spit on Your Grave, Alice Sweet Alice etc and things like favourite actors to interview, how they contact them for special features, 'bucket list' actors.
    They did talk about the Friday locations a lot, and how a bunch have fallen apart / disappeared eg camp buildings, so they used older location hunting footage.

Running about 3h20, you don't really need the visuals, so it would make a good podcast episode if you just rip the audio.

Some of the random tidbits I got from watching last night; don't quote me 100%, I was just jotting these down as I went:
    • The mod asked if anyone had invited Victor Miller to be involved with the set and the awkward silence from everyone was hilarious.

Peter Bracke (author of Crystal Lake Memories) seemed to be the most honest about most things, including:
    • He was approached to include the Crystal Lake Memories documentary in the set, but not being the creator or rights holder he thinks it probably fell apart with SF dealing with the distributer/rights holders and the costs involved.

• He wants to expand his CLM book for a second version, which includes the remake (he has interviewed everyone) but now that Warner own the rights, they've killed it. He said New Line were awesome and were really helpful with the original book, but because Warner have their own publishing line "they would never have approved the original CLM" without a cut of the $$$ etc
      • (2h24min mark). Much the same reason why Shout couldn't touch the non-Paramount discs ie Warner are dicks.
      • He has toyed with bringing it out as a ebook ie just the text, but knows people want physical copies, plus he has a ton of unused photos.
      • Doing interviews, he's only been hung up on twice. Once by Craig T Nelson ("I'm bored" *click*) and the stunt guy that played Jason during the Jason Lives daylight scenes.
      • re Poltergeist, Peter has lots of interviews with everyone involved, but got a cease and desist, so could never release anything.
      • He's actually working on a book covering 90s slashers.

The guys were happy the fact that everyone working on the set were Friday fans, and some love and care went into the whole set and extras. Peter made it sound like they (previous sets) were just regular internal tasks for Paramount staff, just like any other movie release:
      • Paramount's From Crystal Lake to Manhattan DVD set: He said the Paramount guys (working on the set) were so excited to show him the motion menu's they had made for the DVDs, but he pointed out (to them) that the mask they used was from Jason X. They didn't want to go fix it, so that's why the menu's start off so zoomed into the hockey mask eye-hole, to cover up the fact they used the wrong mask.
        • They didn't want to spend money on it eg. The (Paramount) DVD set producer didn't want to pay for Dana Kimmell's gas after she had just driven 4 hours to be involved in the Part 3 commentary; so Peter and ? chipped in and covered it (her only request).

Other random stuff:
        • People complaining (in general) about movie star X not being involved in the extras usually comes down to the star themselves. Either can't be tracked down, they want too much money or just refuse. So it's not like the creators "forgot" to interview star X.
        • They started working on commentaries about January, so a lot were affected by covid. Either the quality (recorded over Zoom) or people dropping out. Apparantly Kevin Bacon's people used covid as his reason for him not wanting to be involved.
        • Michael Gingold said no one ever reviews liner notes online
        • They had carte blanche to just go out and make or suggest any extra feature they wanted

wago70, Katatonia, Nailwraps and 3 others like this.
  9. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

10. russweiss

I continued watching the Friday films with parts 6-8 and Jason Goes to Hell. The picture quality was good on all of them. I'm still waiting to finish all 12 films before going through the extras. I understand that there were 3 issues (which appear to total a few seconds and a 3D option which most won't be able to utilize) and Shout has already authorized a replacement disc program. This set really deserves a lot more praise then the complaints it's been getting.

Starting with part 6 the series began it's supernatural spin. Jason is basically a zombie in all of them through 9. With Jason Goes to Hell I had forgotten just how ridiculous the plot point becomes with Jason being not only a zombie but a body jumper. It was really nice to see the homage to The Evil Dead which I had completely forgotten. The body count seemed a bit higher with these four films too but that could be my imagination as I wasn't counting. Also the first 8 films all have continuity. At the end of Manhattan Jason is drowned but at the beginning of Jason Goes to Hell there is no explanation for how he is suddenly "alive" again. It took lightning, magic, and electricity between 6-8 to bring Jason to life. One other thing I couldn't help but notice is that in part 6 there wasn't any nudity. All other entries through JGTH do. Just an observation.

Since I've watched 9 of the 12 films I can say that to me the set is well worth the money. The quality has been high on all with the exception of parts of the third film. CPT Hook has said that seems to be case for all previous releases as well. There are also so many extras that it will probably take as much time to watch them as it did to watch the movies. You can buy it for around 30-40 less than the $159 Shout Factory is asking unless you want the limited posters. Anyone that is a fan of the series should be extremely satisfied with this set. I'm not even a huge fan of the series as I let over 3 decades pass since I had last seen some of these yet I still think this is a fantastic release. Highly recommended.

Colin, wago70, Katatonia and 2 others like this.
  11. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

When I got back into Friday the 13th movies, the one thing I thought about Part 6 was that I saw a cut version when I was a kid. Because I was sure that there should be nudity in that RV scene. But no. And Part 6 is still one of my favorites in the series without the nudity. It's all implied and suggestive stuff like the car scene.

12. russweiss

Out of the first 9 films my favorites are 1, 2, and 4 in that order. I've only seen Jason X, Freddy Vs Jason, and the remake in the theater so my viewings tomorrow will be almost like seeing them for the first time.

wago70 and Zombie Dude like this.
  13. ImmortalSlasher

I'm sure I posted my favorites around here multiple times. My list is basically 2, 6, 7, 8, Jason x, and Freddy vs Jason. I never thought I would like Jason X or Freddy vs Jason. Didn't consider even going to the theater to see them. Didn't really want to watch them at all. But somehow gave them a chance and they are fun movies. Jason X a bit more than Freddy vs Jason. I tend to not like Freddy vs Jason when they actually start fighting.

14. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

No email. Even check my spam folder.

But as said/posted. Emails will be going out when it ships they say.

16. russweiss

I finished up the final 3 films from the set. Watching the 11 films of the series plus the remake was more entertaining than I thought it would be. Seven of the films I had only seen theatrically so it had been 30 plus years since my last viewing. I never found myself bored even when I watched five films in one day. Nearly all the films only run around 90 minutes which was smart. Also every film had a good looking cast. There weren't any playback issues with the 12 discs. All of them had good to excellent picture quality with almost all of them being excellent. I did watch all the extras on the original disc and they were from 2008 so were probably on other releases. I had never seen them before so it was new for me.

Jason X had the worst dialog but I still found myself enjoying it. It also probably had the highest body count. Freddy Vs Jason felt more like a Nightmare on Elm Street film than a Friday the 13th even though Jason does most of the killing. The first eight films in the franchise had continuity from one film to the next but starting with Jason Goes to Hell through Freddy Vs Jason they all had Jason just showing up like nothing had happened to him before.

Final thoughts: I basically expressed already that if you're a fan of the series I can't imagine you won't think this is a great box set. The quality is probably as good as it's going to get on blu-ray. There are so many extras that it will take multiple sittings to watch them all. I didn't bother checking to see if any of my disc had fingerprints or smudges because I didn't see the point. The 12 discs I played had no issues and the few seconds of missing footage from Jason X and Jason Goes to Hell and botched 3D credits from part 3 have already been addressed by Shout with a replacement program.

Has anyone else started watching the movies? Many on this site purchased the set and I'd like to hear other users thoughts.

Colin and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    As of 10/18 I have only watched JASON TAKES MANHATTAN. I revisited the first SEVEN Friday films on DVD during the first Covid Lockdown in California in March. I had just gotten back from Paris, France - a perfect vacation (long story) and returned back to San Francisco to a NIGHTMARE. The job actually told me straight up NOT to return to work since I had been traveling which rattled me and my finances to the core. I had travelled...so don't come to work. So I didn't. I, rattled as I was, went into full on nostalgia retreat. The best therapy for me. The 40th Anniversary for FRIDAY THE 13TH and, you guys know this...ANY film from 1980 needed to be celebrated. So, weeks of red wine and DVD and Blu Ray viewings have followed. 1980 had priority and I celebrated it.
    THAT out of the way (I'm nostalgic for that era and make no apologies), I have to say...I have not moved past "Manhattan" and the extras disc on this set. It sits, dusted every day, well loved and appreciated on my table by my remotes. I have, instead, been watched YOUTUBE video after video of other people opening their sets and those giving their reviews of the sets. It's been fun...and it remains that way until I move onto JASON GOES TO H which is my next "Friday" film set aside for viewing. I have seen it on VHS only once back when it was first hitting the shelf (at Castro Video, RIP) and then one sequence in like '95 where one character gets hit in the face so hard by Jason...that my own mother cheered on that part. So I'm looking forward to revisiting the next film IN WHOLE since '94 (the home video release date I think?) Anyway...I love the set. Abso - it's great.

18. ImmortalSlasher

With the exception of the opening, I thought the same, that Freddy vs Jason was more Nightmare on Elm Street than Friday the 13th. I do love the look of that opening scene though.

19. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Katatonia likes this.
  20. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received the replacement disc today for the scratched "Unrated" Jason Goes to Hell disc in my set from Shout. Of course it will have to be replaced again for the "fixed" disc, but at least the old disc will play now. o_O

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020